Xin Amps - Never Again
Nov 6, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
At the risk of some serious flaming, I'm posting my experience with Dr. Xin and his amps. It's been bad.

Background first: I was new to this forum and became convinced I "needed" an amp for my musical enjoyment. I'd never heard of any of the manufacturers or brands, so after reading all the glowing reviews I trustingly ordered a Xin SuperMicro and sent in my money. That was the end of July.

Many of you know what happened next. Like everyone else, I waited with no word from Xin. Finally, at the end of September my amp arrived. By this time, over 2 months since my order, I had more or less given up and purchased a Hornet M (which arrived 3 days after speaking with Ray Samuels – the amp reached me before my check reached him) and had been listening with great pleasure for a several weeks. After comparing the Xin to the Hornet I was greatly disappointed, the Xin mostly just sounded bad.

I posted my disappointment in the Xin both on this forum and the Xin forum and the unanimous opinion was I must have received a bad unit and I should send it back. So, less than a week after receiving it, I contacted Xin who actually replied to my email in under 24 hours to say send it back.

That was about 5 weeks ago. After the first 3 weeks when I hadn’t heard anything from Xin I sent him a polite email asking if he had even received the amp, let alone the status. No reply. I waited a week more and sent another email. Still no reply. I sent another email, still nothing. I posted a message on his forum asking him to contact me. Still nothing.

The replies I have received to date are from other owners saying “be patient, Xin will deliver and it will be worth the wait.”

So, I’m at the point where I am so fed up with Xin’s abysmal business practices that no matter how good his amp may sound (if and when it ever arrives) that no matter what I will not own this amp. Should it arrive I won’t even open the box, it’s going straight to the for sale forum.

My purpose is to alert other newcomers to this forum that purchasing a Xin amp will likely be an exercise in enormous frustration. There are lots of small business people that sell great products on this forum, people that answer their email and phones, who deliver great products AND service. These folks deserve your business. My opinion, Xin doesn’t.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues
At the risk of some serious flaming, I'm posting my experience with Dr. Xin and his amps. It's been bad.

Background first: I was new to this forum and became convinced I "needed" an amp for my musical enjoyment. I'd never heard of any of the manufacturers or brands, so after reading all the glowing reviews I trustingly ordered a Xin SuperMicro and sent in my money. That was the end of July.

Many of you know what happened next. Like everyone else, I waited with no word from Xin. Finally, at the end of September my amp arrived. By this time, over 2 months since my order, I had more or less given up and purchased a Hornet M (which arrived 3 days after speaking with Ray Samuels – the amp reached me before my check reached him) and had been listening with great pleasure for a several weeks. After comparing the Xin to the Hornet I was greatly disappointed, the Xin mostly just sounded bad.

I posted my disappointment in the Xin both on this forum and the Xin forum and the unanimous opinion was I must have received a bad unit and I should send it back. So, less than a week after receiving it, I contacted Xin who actually replied to my email in under 24 hours to say send it back.

That was about 5 weeks ago. After the first 3 weeks when I hadn’t heard anything from Xin I sent him a polite email asking if he had even received the amp, let alone the status. No reply. I waited a week more and sent another email. Still no reply. I sent another email, still nothing. I posted a message on his forum asking him to contact me. Still nothing.

The replies I have received to date are from other owners saying “be patient, Xin will deliver and it will be worth the wait.”

So, I’m at the point where I am so fed up with Xin’s abysmal business practices that no matter how good his amp may sound (if and when it ever arrives) that no matter what I will not own this amp. Should it arrive I won’t even open the box, it’s going straight to the for sale forum.

My purpose is to alert other newcomers to this forum that purchasing a Xin amp will likely be an exercise in enormous frustration. There are lots of small business people that sell great products on this forum, people that answer their email and phones, who deliver great products AND service. These folks deserve your business. My opinion, Xin doesn’t.

In my case, I've learned the hard way when I started to involve with this hobby and had my share of frustration. Personally, I have appreciation for your assertiveness and the "Fearless" attitude. We need more people who is willing to speak the truth of their experiences. This would help saving the newbies from frustration and losses.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 101
Wow.. Sorry for your horrible experience. I have been trying to contact him as well to see how long it would take for me to get a Supermicro-IV; no response. I love the size of that little bugger; would be perfect with a Nano. I am, however, turned off by the reports of horrible service and ridiculously long wait times. I'm on the Tomahawk list, which looks awesome, but, while small, is considerably bigger than the Supermicro-IV.

If you do get you Supermicro back and are serious about selling, please let me know.

Thanks,

Herb

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 101
I think it is a good thing if people feel free to post about their bad experiences as well as the good ones. Keeps manufacturers informed on customer satisfaction. And it keeps other (potential) customers informed on the quality of treatment they can expect.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Waiting for the fanboy "spin"...

evil_smiley.gif

Well, i'm a fan of the sound/size..
But his unresponsiveness is getting to me
He still has my supermini for gain changes and i'm leaving in a month and a week

But hey, he could've just left it as it was in the beginning instead of giving free updates and people would still think it sounds very good

So yeah, i'm torn

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 101
Can I add a somewhat different perspective to this? First, I'm a previous owner of one of his amps. Arrived DOA and Xin was a bit slow in response and issuing a credit but he did come through.

I really don't think this is unusual for a custom builder. I've had some very frustrating experiences with builders recently and it does make you damned mad at times. I let my frustrations boil over and get the best of me recently. Now that everything has worked out well, I regret letting that happen. Didn't do anything other than damage what was once a fine relationship. Don't know Xin from adam but my advice is try...and it's hard...to hold on and be patient. It will work out in the end. Wish I'd done that, but I'm a fiery kind of guy who's used to getting my way. Regret losing my cool like I did.

One of lifes lessons I guess. Sorry to thread crap but figured my experience might be of use to someone.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 101
"I had more or less given up and purchased a Hornet M (which arrived 3 days after speaking with Ray Samuels – the amp reached me before my check reached him) and had been listening with great pleasure for a several weeks."

RSA is tops in customer service.

- augustwest

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 101
I hope you get the resolution you are looking for soon.

I been at this hobby for awhile now. I learn to treat it like an investment; invest and forget. One day, especially with Xin, it will come in with measurable "dividend". I ordered my Supermicro IV few days ago as well as send in my SM3V6 for upgrades and I don't expect to see them until next year.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Can I add a somewhat different perspective to this? First, I'm a previous owner of one of his amps. Arrived DOA and Xin was a bit slow in response and issuing a credit but he did come through.

I really don't think this is unusual for a custom builder. I've had some very frustrating experiences with builders recently and it does make you damned mad at times. I let my frustrations boil over and get the best of me recently. Now that everything has worked out well, I regret letting that happen. Didn't do anything other than damage what was once a fine relationship. Don't know Xin from adam but my advice is try...and it's hard...to hold on and be patient. It will work out in the end. Wish I'd done that, but I'm a fiery kind of guy who's used to getting my way. Regret losing my cool like I did.

One of lifes lessons I guess. Sorry to thread crap but figured my experience might be of use to someone.

I know what you mean.
But on the other hand sometimes I feel a signal like this is needed to get things on track again....
I find it difficult sometimes to determine just when or how hard to push, especially when I am really p...ed off. But I have usually been able to reestablish a good relationship afterwards. I mostly prefer to take the risk of making a mistake (and having to appologise and correct it) over doing nothing.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 101
I definitely agree that Xin needs to improve his customer service. True he does eventually deliver on the product, but the waiting for said product is interminable. I waited almost a month and a half when I ordered my SuperMini-III. I only ordered it because MANY people (most of them Head-Fiers) said that Xin was reliable in eventually delivering through on the product.

IMO, Xin should not be "going into development mode" or "tweaking mode" without announcing it to his customers/potential customers. I mean, it's great that he strives to improve his products constantly, but would the guy mind announcing that he's doing that? It's really not that hard to do.

He also desperately needs to update the lead times on the amps. "2-3 weeks," yeah right. That's just lying, that should read more like 1-3 months.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

Everyone has a different level of what's an acceptable wait, a limit to his or her patience, and expectation of communication. It seems each of those thresholds for you has been reached and breached.

Better luck with your next transaction.

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 101
And RSA HR-2 is the only drop proof amp I have. It survived a 6 feet vertical fall against a hard wood floor.
I am doing my best not to try this with the MPX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

RSA is tops in customer service.

- augustwest

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 101
Quote:

Agreed. I'd rather spend 525.00 more for the HR-2, which IMO is better, & have the ease of mind knowing that RSA will take care of me personally.. Awnser my emails & concerns in a timly matter. Even talk on the phone with me. You aren't just a number & unit that needs to be rushed out the door like Dr XIN.. & he shouldn't be tweaking 24/7.. ppl who buyXIN's top of line flagship unit, don't like the fact that in 2 months it will no longer be XIN best amp.. It's a viscious cycle..Get tweak. Takes two month.. Play for 3 months, get another tweak.. Two more month...

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 101
I love Dr. Xin's amps because IMO they sound awesome and that is the reason I purchase this kind of gear.

Having said that I will also say that Dr. Xin has no business practices. He is sometimes very late in responding at other times he just does not respond. He is constantly tweaking his amps which to some is a problem but to me it is great specially since he provides free upgrades for most of the amps sold (even two generations before).

I have extensively listened to the Supermicro IV and IMO it was the best sounding amp amongst about 10. Some of these other amps cost up to 3 times as much.

However at the end of the day each of us has to decide how long is too long. I have cancelled an order from Dr. Xin on a Supermacro IV when I found out the Supermicro IV sounded better. I then cancelled that order to change from a Supermicro IV to the new Supermacro-LE. The only thing that helps me is that I have other amps to fall back to.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back