Xin Amp Ordering Options
Mar 11, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,

Why the mini instead of the micro?

Entropic

I have owned both and I have little doubt the Mini have better synergy with the ER-4 cold nature. The Micro is a Jack of all trade and thus master of none. They are very agood with almost any cans which means a niche amp like Mini will have upper hand when paired with the right combo

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 26
Supermini for your Nano/Ety
The form factor - it most-closely matches the width of a Nano and is thinner than all others - thus most pocketable. I use Scunci Polybands to hold them together and readily go into shirt pocket
It has internal jumpers that you can set - so you do not need P/S converter for your Ety er4
Also has jumpers for bassboost, and crossfeed.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 26
The macro has a P-S, hi/lo gain, 6db bass boost (great for the ety-s) and crossfeed switches. Never using these, a noob may not see the need. There are so many different cans, that flexibility is handy. I don't listen to the ipod without the crossfeed. With the etys the bass boost is required. The hi/lo gain lets you listen to different impedance cans like Senns as well as Grado. The amp is decent with the 701. Of course the P-S switch is for folks like you that have the Ps.

I do hope Dr. Xin gets back on track with shipments. The sooner he gets caught up, the better my amp will be when I send it back for upgrades. I only use it in the car now a days with my RS-1s. I find the iems don't really gain that much more than my ipod. Not worth the hassle.

As to the options of op amps, determine your flavor. Detailed and crisp, more relaxed (tubey). Do you want more buffers for higher output current? For detailed info, Dr. Xin has the different op amps and their characteristics in the body of his website. Specific questions can be asked there but you will find most of them are also here.

Good luck and may you have pity on your patience.

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 26
I wish you guys had an opportunity to listen to the latest Reference in any of its forms. It is a very nice sounding amp, I took version C5 to the South Florida meet last weekend and those who heard it loved it.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 26
Thanks for the replies everyone, so far we have;
EFN and BushGuy - Xin Mini
Happy Camper - Xin Macro
mrarroyo - Xin Reference
I did look for a comparison before I started this thread, but the only thing I found was Dr Xin's write up and the 38 portable amps review.

Although Xin's thread is comprehensive I thought it would be best to get a second (independent) opinion from this forum.

Will have a think and let you know all know what I'm going to do...
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 26
Entropic, I just realized you are in England. That being the case why don't you get a Voyager by Graham Slee. He is local so if you ever need a repair no need to ship the unit across the pond. Besides the Voyager is a very nice sounding amp.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 26
Mrarroyo,

Thanks for that... I've just taken a look... given the reputation of Dr Xin and the time taken for delivery I might have to get another one anyway!

Found this review about it which puts it at number 1 in a competitive review...

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #24 of 26
I recently changed my order from last year for a Super Micro IV to a Super Mini IV, but I have no idea yet if the change went through. After playing with the iBasso T4 I think the mini form factor makes more sense, as does ability to do opamp rolling with jumpers for xfeed and bass and impedance and gain.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #25 of 26
Hi all,

Here's an update.

I've ordered a Xin SuperMini IVand I'm now waiting for my Ety E4Ps to come back from the Ety repair shop. I know that it will take a while (i.e. potentially years) to get the amp delivered but the reputation of the Xin Ety ER4p combo seems to be fantastic.

I did consider the other amps like the Graham Slee Voyager and the MiniBox-E+ (Although I'm still wondering why no-one recommended the MiniBox-D or MinBox-F). The Slee is rather expensive at approx USD$250 and rather large. The MiniBox-E review was impressive however it is out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back