Xin Amp Ordering Options
Mar 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Entropic

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I had a very specific need for an amp to drive my Ety 4P from an iPod nano on a plane.

I'm going to buy a Tomahawk *AND* and also order a Xin amp (probably the macro LE).

However I just went to his ordering page and there are so many options I can't figure out what I should add or not add!

Any suggestions

Entropic

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 26
I hope you know what you are doing

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 26
Well, I don't really!

Hence why I'm asking... I was really wondering if anyone had bought an amp for the same purpose and liked their config so I could copy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Entropic

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 26
I would NOT recommend RSA Tomahawk for ER-4P. Ray have built the TH otimized for the Shure E500 and Westone signature. I am not babbling without facts. Almost two years ago I purchased a TH and the treble emphasis annoyed me quite a lot. Yes your ER-4 will be utterly bright sounding and lean on bass (as if ER-4 is not lean enough already). If it have to be RSA, then I'd say go for the Hornet M which is proven to synergize better with the ER-4.

Like I mentioned before, hunt for a used Xin SuperMini-IV or place an order for MiniBox-E+ through Head-Direct (new stock are coming soon). Or better still buy a DecWare Zen Head ZH1 which is available now. I have tested all three amps and they will make the ER-4 sing.

If you place an order now for the Xins, expect a 20 months delivery so which means you gonna need an amp now anyway.

Good luck
wink.gif

EDIT:
Another one is the Meier Corda Move. They will synergize well with ER-4 as well

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 26
Thanks EFN,

That's the sort of feedback I was looking for. I was thinking of auditioning the Shure E500s too (apologies for 'sort of' double posting, but the two threads kinda converged).

So you're analysis is that;

1. Tomahawks are built more for the Shure E500
2. Xins are build more for the Etymotic ER4p/s.

(Academic Question: Do you know whether an ER4P-S converter would help in any way for use with the Tomahawk? Or does the impedance not mean anything).

The problem is that the Xin Superminis seem to be a little scarce at the right now and his waiting time for new amps is a bit ridiculous, so yep - hence why I want to audition an alternative amp now.

Entropic

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 26
1. Yes, during development stage, Ray actually photographed the prototype TH connected to an E500. You can't get any better synergy than that, an amp built from the gound up with a particular IEM.

2. Dr. Xin is a BIG fan and user of ER-4S. So it is natural that he build his amps around ER-4 as well. But he was also known to use the HD580 in amp development stages which makes for a haighly versatile amp combo - hence he implemented the 6db bass boost and PtoS for the ER-4

NO, the PtoS will not help with the TH. In fact converting your ER-4P to S will make them even brighter if that's possible. You must know that the S configuration is leaner sounding that the P - but better soundstage and highs emphasis at the expense of thinner bass

If you want and amp right now, ask Ray if he have The Hornet M still. And again I'd say the Decware Zen Head - BUT these amps are bigger and fatter than the TH for sure. Only the SuperMini-IV and MiniBox-E+ offers slim profile

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 26
Keep you eye on the ball - your orig. idea IS correct. A Xin Supermini IV for your Nano. I've been using various iterations of the Supermini for several years now.......and also started back at that time with Ety's (BTW the Shures have not been my cup of tea). You mentioned about a plane - that is the time you REALLY want to use a pair of Comply tips. These days I also own UE Triple Fi, plus the Klipsch X10.

True, I have come down to owning the following 4 portable amps - Xin Supermini, Xin Reference (v.B5), Pico amp/dac, and RSA P51. All are good and you'll want to find what works for YOUR ears. I prefer pairing the Klipsch Images (X10) with the Supermini IV/Nano because of it is a bit tubey and the amp ameliorates that X10 brightness (and form factor for pairing with the Nano - BYW, when you order the Supermini you do NOT worry about the price list - you just order the amp itself @ $199.99. If you want the AAA batteries peeps prefer - get a package of Eneloops from Amazon (and a charger). Despite warnings about length of wait for the amp - do not believe what you read on these pages. No one can predict your wait at a particular time. Dr. Xin hand-builds all of his amps, and a portion of others do not. IOW - he does not work from an inventory, and it also depends on time available, and the flow of orders, or if he buries himself in a research phase.
My personal feeling is you should not worry about an amp and go buying a substitute for the interim - if you're wearing your IEM's in a noisy environment your unamped setup will be o.k. - just not optimum. For non-flight activities you may wish to go with a more portable oriented headphone like Senn. HD25-13 (closing out in England, and Australia at good prices), or A.T. ESW9A - here you may wish to pair these with a Pico amp/dac or the RSA P51.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't really!

Hence why I'm asking... I was really wondering if anyone had bought an amp for the same purpose and liked their config so I could copy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Entropic

was just hoping you were aware of the wait with xin, thats all. havent owned the xin amps, so cant comment with any clarity; would just hate to see another stuck in line without realizing the state of things. the xins do pop up used. but for a premium price. best combos with etyies seem to be warmish amps to offset the cold analytical sound of the ety's. but EFN's info is likely to be very good (in regard to ER4). he's a long time ety user and has made many different tweaks to his various amps to get the combo sounding the best, so if you want to just try out a well tested combo for ety, I suggest faxing one of his rigs

one thing though is as an owner of SE530 I dont thing a warm amp would really suit them so much. might be best to find as neutral amp as possible if you plan to use those 2 very different IEM's with it and have them both perform well. so maybe iqube (a bit pricey) pico is a great amp with SE530, but I havent used ety's with mine, so cant comment there. it does have a bit of a lush midrange. but but overtly warm like some of the RSA amps as its lows and highs are quite extended and lacking in coloration

It would be hard to find 2 more different IEM's than ER4 and SE530, so it may prove difficult to find one that synergizes well with both. but yeah IMO neutrality will be key

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 26
I got notice yesterday that the Mini I sent in some time back has been shipped so I will be hearing the latest version of the Mini with all the improvements. Should be interesting.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 26
It will be. I've had a v.3.6, then a IV, then another IV - and now the latest update. It's a different animal from my last IV iteration.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 26
As far as I know the Dr. Xin is out of the research mode. I have seen a few receive their shipping notices in the last few days. I hope the trend continuous so all the outstanding orders are filled.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know the Dr. Xin is out of the research mode. I have seen a few receive their shipping notices in the last few days. I hope the trend continuous so all the outstanding orders are filled.

me too; if he manages to actually clear his back orders I might even consider getting a reference. there has never been any doubt about the quality of the product

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 26
So... the question still stands...

Which Xin Amp do you recommend? (Again, for use on long flights with Ety ER4P). I've been looking at the range on his order page.
  • Supermacro IV
  • Supermarco LE
  • Reference
  • Supermini IV
  • Supermicro IV
I'm not sure whether any of these have the built in P-S converter and whether it is in fact necessary!

The most important factors to me are;
  • Suitability for use with the Ety ER4P sound signature.
  • Battery Life - 100h+
  • Size - I don't want to be carrying a big device when I'm travelling.
Other amp brand suggestions are welcome. One important fact is that I would prefer the ability to use regular rechargeable AA or AAA batteries rather than a slow charging internal circuit.

I was contemplating whether I should order all of them and sell the ones that I don't want. However, I thought that USD$1000 would be a little excessive! I was looking at the Shure E530s too but I'm quite happy with the Etys. As I understand from the responses I've had, the Shures have a completely different sound signatures and I'll have to get a different type of amp for them.

Comments welcome

Entropic (now confused)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back