Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #423 of 992

Tried that as well but even worse if I filp it upside down.
Maybe the design of these IEM's don't suit me :frowning2:

I solved this by using a pair of spare grey biflange tips from my EarSonics IEMs.

I think generally tips that are made of soft and smooth rubber fall from your ears after a while. The rubber once tuck inside your ear canal tends to expand if too soft and/or slip out if too smooth, and finally pops out of the ear. This is what happens to me at least.

The EarSonics biflange tips are made of harder and rougher rubber and also the flanges help them stay in place. Not nearly as comfortable as the stock tips though and the Pistons stick out more with them but at least they stay in place.

I've also ordered a pair of medium SpinFit tips and will see how they feel with the Pistons.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #424 of 992

Tried that as well but even worse if I filp it upside down.
Maybe the design of these IEM's don't suit me :frowning2:

could be.  i've gone through plenty of IEM's that didn't fit me no matter how i wore them or what tips i tried. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #425 of 992
Hi,I received the Piston 3.0 youth edition today. I'm using Fiio X1 as source and Fiio E11K as amp. I find the highs a bit harsh and i use line out in X1 so can't use EQ..
Is there any way to make the highs smoother?

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #426 of 992
Just received a fake Piston III, here are some quick details :).

-it didn't come in that little white pouch, just the folded box
-it didn't have the XS S L labels for the extra ear pieces
-the back of the ear buds seem to be metal looking plastic
-the fit and finish was a bit misaligned
-needless to say they sounded abysmal (not like the electrostats!)

The Amazon seller HK WEIXUN refunded $16 of the $20 total cost. I'll try get around to putting images up tomorrow.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #428 of 992
@brrgrr
The ones in the white box are NOT FAKE. You can scan the QR code tag on the earphones to confirm their authenticity..
They are the youth edition of piston 3.0, I've been listening to them since yday and they sound great for the price. I ordered the fancy ones also from their official site :raised_hands:.
You shud've tried them some more before you sent them back.. At first i also thought they were fake but i read a post in this forum about there being two versions of piston 3. I'm glad i didn't send them back, now i can see if they sound any different from the metal finish ones or is it just a cosmetic upgrade.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #429 of 992
I should be getting mine from gearbest in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know if they're real. $14 shipped. I imagine if GB is selling real piston 3 so are banggood and possibly some other major retailers. At least the seller refunded you most of the money. Could have been out $20 :frowning2:

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #430 of 992
@brrgrr
The ones in the white box are NOT FAKE. You can scan the QR code tag on the earphones to confirm their authenticity..
They are the youth edition of piston 3.0, I've been listening to them since yday and they sound great for the price. I ordered the fancy ones also from their official site :raised_hands:.
You shud've tried them some more before you sent them back.. At first i also thought they were fake but i read a post in this forum about there being two versions of piston 3. I'm glad i didn't send them back, now i can see if they sound any different from the metal finish ones or is it just a cosmetic upgrade.

Yea the youth edition is half the price with different internals. I actually liked the look of the youths a bit, but I read somewhere the sound cant even be compared. Youths have flat cables, while piston 3 reddot has well piston style cables.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #432 of 992
@brrgrr

Glad you enjoy that edition :).
Had I said a white box meant it was fake? Anyway they were definitely not the youth edition. I A/B the ones I got with the old piston 2's. I tried telling myself "these are legit" continued listening but they still sounded bad.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #433 of 992
Glad you enjoy that edition :).
Had I said a white box meant it was fake?

When i saw those complete plastic body earphones in the white box which had no resemblance to the metal Pistons, the first thought that came to my mind was i got FAKE maal :scream: . I hope that was a normal reaction or else i might need therapy. Then i tried them and found em good. Too bad you got fakes.. Good luck with ur next purchase.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #434 of 992
Got the P3 for a few days now and burning in with a Fostex HP-V1. I am using the Mi-note pro so presumably there will be some synergy, my initial impressions are as follows:

- original sleeves are crap and seal makes a huge difference, best result so far is comply
- will benefit from amping or at least a more powerful source
- bass quantity is sufficient, quality-wise exceeds its price-point but not great, certainly not bloated though
- better male vocal than female, which appears blanketed 
- not for instruments, lacking timbre
- headstage is not bad, actually a very decent representation for concerts 
- not really analytical, though it can be a plus for music listeners, like me who get easily irritated with poor recording
- much more neutral than I have expected

These phones are a steal at 20 bucks, excellent for 40 and still highly recommended at 60. You don't have to worry about losing/ damaging them, which to me is a very important aspect for portable gadgets. At its price point, I will still be satisfied if they are 70% as good as they are now.

Mi, imo, have done a very decent job on these phones. Of course there are prominent imperfections so don't be fooled by anyone who tried to convince you the P3s are better than phones 10/20 times pricier.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back