Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #394 of 992
My X3 arrived today from Geekbuying for $18, shipping included.

I really didn't know what to expect for this price despite of the praising reviews.

And then WOW. Simply WOW. Best $18 bucks ever spent!

These are 10/10 for the price. Excellent presentation, sturdy build, nice looks and pretty great sound. Really no low points. They even have a very slim and unintrusive remote and a mic, although I will never really use them.

The default tips tend to fall from my ears so I put a set of grey double-flanges from my SM64. Happy happy!

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #396 of 992
Jul 16, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #399 of 992
  Do the TX-500 complys fit these?  I ordered a pair to try out and would like to try them with some comply tips but all I have are teh 500.

They should as 500 series fits Audio-Technica CK IEMs so they should fit the P3 as well.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #401 of 992
  Do the TX-500 complys fit these?  I ordered a pair to try out and would like to try them with some comply tips but all I have are teh 500.

Since we're talking the Pistons 3 and not the 2, the 400 will fit better as they have a smaller bore diameter compared to the 2.0. The 500 may be rather loose on the P3. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #402 of 992
  Since we're talking the Pistons 3 and not the 2, the 400 will fit better as they have a smaller bore diameter compared to the 2.0. The 500 may be rather loose on the P3. 

Actually in their website, Comply recommends the 200s series, In fact I have some tips from those two series, and I've tried both sizes, the 400s series fit well and can be used with the pistons 3 without any major problems but indeed the 200 series fit the best.

the isolation and the bass improve greatly with comply eartips, totally worth try for anyone with these IEMs 

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #403 of 992

I have the 500s  and while don't fit super tight they aren't loose either. They don't help much with isolation though (this is probably the worst-isolating IEM I have so far).

I still prefer Audio-Technica eartips for durability and comfort.

In a nutshell these are how the tips compare:
Stock tips - Intimate soundstage but treble and mids still have hazy texture. Comfortable but poor seal and fit
SHE3590 tips - more distant, more edge to treble and mids
Audio-Technica tips - more distant, better seal and comfort, highs more laid-back than SHE3590 tips.
Comply T-500 - Similar to AT but a tad more rolled off in the highs. Isolation isn't much better

Removing the filters doesn't really help much if you think they are rolled off in the highs or recessed in the mids. The upper mids (and I mean the VERY top) and lower treble is more peaked which can sound a bit more sibilant but the rest of the midrange sounds dull in comparison.

The instrument separation is excellent in that you can hear the elements split up, but when I try hearing for a certain instrument it just sounds distant and hazy.

The other thing I dislike about these is the cable - the in-line remote is quite intrusive and microphonic, and while the over-ear fit can help with microphonics it is not very comfortable and harder to get a good seal.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #404 of 992
As good as the sound is for ~ $20, it is becoming extremely frustrating how the side of the earbud noticeably shocks the ear while walking/jogging with these in-ear. I believe it's caused by the friction of gym shorts pressing against the 3.5mm connector while moving; it is an issue with the connector. Very annoying since there are no issues walking around with Apple's EarPods, besides the lacking sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back