Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #346 of 992
About after a month of use, mines broke.. one is clearly (like 40%) louder then the other one. Checked on other devices. Also tried different IEM's to make sure it was not my hearing. 

Maybe someone knows a fix for that?

After a month of use I can say this:

They look good, they are comfortable and the materials feels great. 

On the other hand... They are quiet, they lack bass, they are not reliable AND they are not much of an upgrade from Samsung IEM's (GS4) in sound quality while in regular use. (with PC/Smartphone) 

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #347 of 992
I have just posted a review on Amazon of the Piston 3 YOUTH EDITION, with a photo comparing the two versions. Basically, i think they share the same SQ signature, with the YE having a flat rubber ribbon cable, entirely plastic, but i like the control a bit better. For $10 or so, they are an amazing deal though, since they seem to share the same driver as the regular Piston 3. 

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiaomi-Earphone-Earbuds-Motorola/dp/B00X13KX50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434121163&sr=8-2&keywords=piston+3+youth+edition

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #348 of 992
Bought from banggood.com, 2 weeks for delivery, paid $20USD

Initially used the provided large tips, then changed to Comply T400 tips.

The T400 tips provide a beautiful seal, and the sound has improved considerably.

So far used on iPhone 6 and Sansa Clip+

Listened to deep house, trance and nu disco.

- Bass is strong, with a definite bass hump, sometimes even boomy.  
- Found the mid-range/ treble to be too bright and glaring.
- Instrument separation & sound-stage are good, albeit it can get congested.
- Vocals are clear & inviting.
- The sound signature is warm.
- The overall sound not far off from my ATH-IM50, which cost double.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #349 of 992
- Bass is strong, with a definite bass hump, sometimes even boomy.  
- Found the mid-range/ treble to be too bright and glaring.
- Instrument separation & sound-stage are good, albeit it can get congested.
- Vocals are clear & inviting.
- The sound signature is warm.
- The overall sound not far off from my ATH-IM50, which cost double.

For the most part I agree with your impressions, though I don't find the mids or treble bright, though the texture is rather metallic and broad. The treble has a peak at the top which gives the impression it extends well, but I feel it lacks directness or sharpness. It also responds poorly to equalization. There seems to be more mid-bass in the bass hump,sometimes I feel it can be bloated and detached from the rest of the frequencies.

I have the IM70 but unfortunately the right driver seems to be damaged so now I experience a slight but noticeable channel imbalance. I found the IM70 to be more "immersive" and "organic" as often described. It's a more mid-forward yet laid-back sound.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #350 of 992
  For the most part I agree with your impressions, though I don't find the mids or treble bright, though the texture is rather metallic and broad. The treble has a peak at the top which gives the impression it extends well, but I feel it lacks directness or sharpness. It also responds poorly to equalization. There seems to be more mid-bass in the bass hump,sometimes I feel it can be bloated and detached from the rest of the frequencies.

I have the IM70 but unfortunately the right driver seems to be damaged so now I experience a slight but noticeable channel imbalance. I found the IM70 to be more "immersive" and "organic" as often described. It's a more mid-forward yet laid-back sound.

I have since listened to more mellow tunes from Sarah Brightman, Simple Minds & Metronomy. Not surprisingly, the Pistons coped far better, providing a balanced sound with the bass being more controlled, while the mid-range is as you mentioned broad. I still found the treble too sharp or indirect.

I agree my IM50's have the mid-forward but laid-back sound. I also feel the vocal clarity is excellent as Audio-Technica are known for this.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #355 of 992
Oh
frown.gif
any way around to get it normal? the button works though, I just can't press it on the upper side. TIA

Not sure. I honestly would recommend returning them for an exchange. Or, using my screwed up logic, get another pair that is perfect and abuse the crap out of that one. lol 

I like having spares of what I like. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #359 of 992
I've been having an issue where the side of the right earbud produces a noticeable shock to my ear that is recurring and is definitely felt. Taking my phone out of my pocket seems to rectify the issue to an extent but walking with my phone in my pocket and the Piston 3s in-ear has lately been causing the jolt to my ear, which seems like it would be an issue of great concern to any American brand. Are my Piston 3s defective or does anyone else notice the same issue when walking/running with these?

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #360 of 992
I've been having an issue where the side of the right earbud produces a noticeable shock to my ear that is recurring and is definitely felt. Taking my phone out of my pocket seems to rectify the issue to an extent but walking with my phone in my pocket and the Piston 3s in-ear has lately been causing the jolt to my ear, which seems like it would be an issue of great concern to any American brand. Are my Piston 3s defective or does anyone else notice the same issue when walking/running with these?

Never experience this before. I've a feeling its the headphone jack or amp. You can confirm this by trying out with another iem and see if it occurs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back