Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #333 of 992
  I had the same issue with the default eartips, but with the fake Sony hybrids they fit much better and don't fall out anymore while walking.

I also happened to have fake sony hybrids 
But the hole seems a bit small. Wonder if this affect sq :/

are these the ones you have?
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/311167794103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #334 of 992
  I also happened to have fake sony hybrids 
But the hole seems a bit small. Wonder if this affect sq :/

are these the ones you have?
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/311167794103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Yeah those are the exact ones I have, my ears are pretty small though so I use the smallest one.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #335 of 992
Have you guys read this article? Wired say this 15 bucks headphones are worth 10 times more as well http://www.wired.com/2015/06/mrice-e300/?mbid=social_fb

How do they compare to the Pistons?

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #339 of 992

If it makes you feel any better they still haven't shipped them. I assume this purchase will time out and cancel itself...I'm willing to wait it out since the deal was so good. Oh well *shrug*

I'm in the same boat as B9Scrambler, 'The supplier is processing your order'. In addition to the Pistons, I ordered some KZ-ED9s as they've received some good comments on here and look pretty sweet. Here's hoping that the deal was real!

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #341 of 992
On HTC phones the two side buttons are for next/previous track only, not volume. On PowerAMP, double-press will switch to the next album.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #342 of 992
  I have the LG F370 and it works fine. I haven't tried accepting calls, but the music remote function works. I couldn't get it to work properly on my Samsung Galaxy S1, but then it is an S1. Can't comment on Alcatel. 

damn, i have a l70 (4g version) and dont work with my 2.x piston. Only you can hear then.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #344 of 992
I'm in the same boat as B9Scrambler, '[COLOR=009900]The supplier is processing your order'[/COLOR]. In addition to the Pistons, I ordered some KZ-ED9s as they've received some good comments on here and look pretty sweet. Here's hoping that the deal was real!

Lol, i also ordered another ed9 at the same time. Sent them a message last night about it. Will see what they say.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #345 of 992
I love the Piston3's, even more than the vs2 
Here is my review (published on Amazon):

One of the best deals in audio reproduction I have ever found!

As an early adopter of the Piston 2, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality and features of the Piston 2, but there were a few things I would have changed: the bass was a bit too bloated, the treble a bit too harsh, and the midrange quite lacking. But I still liked the sound overall, despite the heavy V-shaped signature, because the price was phenomenal for the quality and features, and they were/are still better than many earbuds in the price range.

Basically, I find the Piston 3 to be better in almost every way:

The BASS is certainly still very strong, in fact I find it to be more impactful in the lower register with a tighter, faster attack. It loses some of the mid-bass hump of the 2’s, albeit a bit less warm as well, but more natural. It still kicks with authority, but is very well-controlled and never boomy, bloaty and muddy.

The MIDRANGE is so very much more present that at first it was a bit of a shock. As most of my IEMs have too low of a MR, my EQ settings were pumped up to compensate, so I needed to flatten them out some. With the P3, the MR is very detailed, accurate, and present. Vocals are a pleasure, with articulation that is just amazing in this price range. I find myself hearing things I did not hear with lesser IEMs. They can be very revealing and true to the source though, and with some recordings can be a bit glaring, but I believe fairly neutral.

The TREBLE is airy, detailed, and articulate, and never harsh or tinny. I found the Piston 2 to be a bit too sizzly, with a more artificial air. I love strong detailed treble, and it is ever-present in the P3, but with a bit of a roll-off to be non-fatiguing as well. With the treble and MR, the level of articulation and detail is simply amazing. This is even in comparison to much higher-priced IEMs, including my custom-molded UE Triple-Fi 10s. Because of this enhanced detail, bad recordings or poor-quality MP3 and the like are much more of notice, and I hear a bit more sibilance than in other earphones, but it is never out of place. I think the phones are just so much more resolving than anything else in this price range, and you will notice lisps in vocals, poor recordings or mastering, and poor compression in low-res files.

The SOUNDSTAGE is amazing for an IEM, one of the best I have heard. There is a very WIDE airy stage, much more like open-air headphones vs. closed. Depth is good, but not nearly as strong as width. I find myself rolling my eyes back and forth, hearing the wideness of the staging and mixing. Because I believe the outside housing to have some sort of porting, sound leakage (outward) is maybe a bit more pronounced, but probably the very reason the soundstage sounds as it does. It shouldn’t be that noticeable to anyone else but in a very quiet environment, or if you are listening to music too loudly. ISOLATION is pretty good, with most outside sounds diminished and muffled. Not as strongly as some deeper-inserted IEMs, but still good.

SENSITIVITY is high, so the Pistons are also great for portability--I find a separate headphone amp unnecessary, with plenty of volume straight out of my smartphone (Note 3, using PowerAMP as my music player—with custom EQ settings).

While the Piston3 is much more articulate, with a flatter frequency response and less overall warmth, vocals are silky smooth and inviting, the overall sound signature more clinical and ACCURATE, while still retaining a FUN, involving musicality.

FIT and COMFORT to my ear is much better than the Piston 2 also. The nozzle is smaller, the outer shell still fits in your pinna and stays in place better. The finish looks very nice, and subtly understated. I was not fond of the shiny gold personally though. Gone is the sharp edge of the metal shell, as the Piston 3 is mostly plastic, but still looks very attractive and just feels more comfortable and smooth in the ear. Of course, fit is very arbitrary, so your mileage may vary. I am using the medium rubber buds that came on the earphones. Tried the others, but the medium was the best fit for me.

The braided cloth-like CABLE is the same on the Piston 3, but the top part, above the convergent cord, is of a rubber texture. I think I would prefer the cloth cord the whole length, as the rubber seems more prone to tangling, and more microphonic.
The controls are now on the right side of the top cord, which makes it easy to tell the Left/Right configuration, puts the microphone closer to your mouth, and is fairly easy to reach. But I would still rather the mic be in that position and have the controls separate, lower on the cord, as I find it easier to see and manipulate (the current V-Moda headphone cable is perfect in that regard). The controls work very well, just as they do on the P2, with solid clicks for Play/Pause, double-click for track advance (common Android use). The top/bottom buttons control Up/Down Volume. The controls work better than any IEM I’ve had, which is one of the main reasons I loved the Piston 2. Not sure why very high-priced IEMs cannot include these features!

They package is nearly the same as on the Piston 2--but alas, there is no chocolate aroma, or any other for that matter. That was a cool and original marketing feature for the Piston 2s, I must say Smile.

The Piston 3’s are just leaps above any budget-priced audio product that I have ever found. They are simply phenomenal for the price, unheard of just a few years ago. {For reference, I have training as a recording engineer, listen to music on higher end headphones, including Shure SRH-940’s, V-Moda M-100, XS, and AT M-50’s. I also build my own custom hi-fi speakers from scratch including a 4-way tower monitor with ribbon tweeters and 4th-order crossover networks, with music processed through DACs, rack studio components including 31-band EQ, compressors, etc. and a Hi-end T-amp}. Are the Piston3 as good as some of the high-end systems I listen on? In short, of course not, but the sound quality available in the Piston3 is the best I have ever heard--by far--for a mere $20! I am utterly astounded, and found myself just wanting to listen to music even more after my initial “critique.” And that’s what my main impression is: I just ENJOY listening to the Piston 3, and feel that I got way more for the money I spent than maybe I even should have!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back