Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid)
Mar 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #481 of 888
Hi friends,

Greetings,

I am having Shozy zero & RHA MA750 ,B&W P5 & Mi headphone.

What's ur take on Mi IEM pro hd is it worth 25$ .

Any other IEM with good sound stage,isolation,neutral warm & surrounding effect under 35$.

Also I m trying for good Dap around 100-125$ (Xduoo i m getting good reviews).

Also provide their cheapest buying link online .

Thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #485 of 888
Got those HD Pros (gen 5) a few weeks ago from GearBest. Few months ago I was admiring the Xiaomi build quality of gen 4 hybrids so I wanted to know have they improved the gen 4 SQ while retaining the superb materials/build quality.

Well - they have.

Bass is fast and precise, mids spacey and more present, highs sparkly, believable staging... but... Something was odd. Especially on good live recordings something was skew ...aaaaand, unfortunately, I discovered what is wrong. Not with HD Pros in general, but with my pair of HD Pros.

It just happened that I played XLO's "Demagnetizing Sweep" and the flaw became glaringly obvious - the right earpiece of my HD Pros does not reproduce quite a chunk of high frequencies that left earpiece is capable of reproducing. I suppose the BA driver in right earpiece is faulty/blown/not connected...

Sigh...

Did not expect that from Xiaomi. Especially since everything else about those HD Pros (and any other Xiaomi product that I have) looks and feels like high quality well thought product. Bad luck I guess...

Have anybody else had similar problem(s) with their gen 5?

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #487 of 888
Mine works fine since new (4 months ago).

Lucky you. :wink:

Even pushing them hard with the Fiio A5 amp, cause this is how they sound at their best.

...I have yet to see (hear) headphones that do not sound better with better (pre)amp. Sure, some headphones scale better, some less better, but all headphones benefit from improvements in other parts of their audio chain. Also, there are very few dynamic headphones that sound better from quiet than cranked up (but not that loud to rip their drivers). HD Pros scale rather nicely from my old trusty 6th gen iPod to, f.e., A-GD NFB-11 ...if they just had no problem with that right BA driver... :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #488 of 888
I did the close vent mod as suggested by @HiFiChris
. Bass quantity has definitely increased although not by much. As far as I can tell, mids and treble aren't affected by the mod. With the increased bass brought on by the mod, these Gen 5 hybrids do sound better now. Currently enjoying listening to them using some silicone tips that I got with my **** 4in1, these tips don't have a wide bore but the length of the bore is a bit longer than the stock tips. If you take a close look at the stock tips when they're attached to the earpieces, the nozzle is very close to the bore of the eartips. This could be a reason why they sound the way they do OOTB. As a sdie note, this require a volume setting of 65 on my Fiio X1 for a good listening level, higher than most of my other IEMs.

However, I wish to talk about something that's been barely mentioned here. It's about the strain relief. IMHO, the strain relief is just adequate, not good and definitely not great. And this is at all major points, i.e.at the 3.5mm jack, the Y split and the joint of the cable to the earpiece themselves. I wish Xiaomi/1More provided better strain relief all around.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, sound isolation with this Gen 5 hybrid is pretty bad. I'm sitting in my local Starbucks right now and with the music turned up all the way to 65 on my Fiio X1, I can still hear people talking all around me. It's just very slightly better than the isolation I'd get from using Monk Plus earbuds. Definitely don't use this for a noisy/busy commute.
I just did the port mod and the bass is perfect and enough but the problem is air pressure building up due to closed vents. Is it because of the closed vents or the Silicon tips themselves ? Cuz the previous Gen Earphones have the same silicon tips and I don't have a problem of air pressure when putting in and pulling out the ear phones.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #489 of 888
I just did the port mod and the bass is perfect and enough but the problem is air pressure building up.Is it because of the closed vents or the Silicon tips themselves ? Cuz the previous Gen Earphones have the same silicon tips and I don't have a problem of air pressure when putting in and pulling out the ear phones. It's a bit annoying to deal with. Kinda like gives a headache feeling that air pressure pushing in the ear buds and also when pulling them out.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #490 of 888
  Hi guys, is this the HD version - http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_566702.html? It is selling at $22.89 but does not have HD in the title. 

Yes, that link is to the correct version (although Gearbest DOES also sell the previous "Hybrid Pro" NON-HD model as well).

The confusion is related to the marketing terminology on Xiaomi's part, and has been a real problem.

If you just go by the photos I posted as a guide, it's easy as pie to make sure you get the intended correct version.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #491 of 888
I just did the port mod and the bass is perfect and enough but the problem is air pressure building up.Is it because of the closed vents or the Silicon tips themselves ? Cuz the previous Gen Earphones have the same silicon tips and I don't have a problem of air pressure when putting in and pulling out the ear phones. It's a bit annoying to deal with. Kinda like gives a headache feeling that air pressure pushing in the ear buds and also when pulling them out.

I don't have that issue, but I don't use the stock tips either (I use KZ Starlines).

But an easy way for you to tell is to just remove the tape mod & see if the pressure thing goes away.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #492 of 888
if they just had no problem with that right BA driver...
frown.gif

Luckily I didn't have any issues with my Xiaomis, but I have had a few pair of dud KZs that have a slight unbalance in one side.

Have you tried contacting Gearbest support? They have been very helpful in the past on issues like this. They won't know anything about demagnatizing sweeps, so I wouldn't try explaining that. But if you just boil it down to extremely simple terms like "the right side doesn't produce sound, but left side works fine", I'm sure they will take care of the situation for you.

In similar cases or defective products, I've had them provide a full refund, and in others they've just shipped a replacement.

I haven't had as much luck on aliexpress however.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #493 of 888
Mar 14, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #494 of 888
Have you tried contacting Gearbest support? They have been very helpful in the past on issues like this. They won't know anything about demagnatizing sweeps, so I wouldn't try explaining that. But if you just boil it down to extremely simple terms like "the right side doesn't produce sound, but left side works fine", I'm sure they will take care of the situation for you.

I have been thinking about that ...but how do you explain something like "right earpiece does not reproduce higher frequencies so I reckon BA driver in right earpiece has a problem" when even I determined the problem just after few days and it can be proved only by simultaneous frequency sweeps? Right side "kind of works" and I do not expect that average support person will bother with "missing frequency band" trifles ...also, where I live :rolleyes: it is easier and cheaper to buy another pair than ship them back.
In any case - thanks for trying to help slaterlovesspam :beerchug:

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #495 of 888
Is it normal for in ears to have noticeable static noise when used with phones?

If I use piston 2/hybrid pro hd on a phone (tried 3) they all have static noise very noticeable at lower volumes. However there is none when I use them on my pc.

If I connect a pair of full size headphones to the phone there is no noticeable static on the phone or pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back