xDuoo XP-2 Pro Bluetooth DAC/Amp first impressions
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

DBurkeM

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I just received my xDuoo XP-2 Pro dac/amp today and wanted to share my first impressions
I ordered this off of Apos Audio on the evening of the 6th and it arrived direct from China this afternoon. Very impressive.
One thing to note is that Apos Audio has this device listed for $199 usd but I was able to get a price match that brought the cost down to $140 usd including free priority international shipping. Now we're talking.
Unboxing was pretty standard. Decent quality packaging all-around but nothing to get too excited about.

The device itself is smaller than I had expected but built like a tank!
All metal construction except for the glass side panels. Very nice feel in the hand.
I should mention that this dac/amp comes with a few accessories that I haven't opened yet but they look pretty standard.
Pairing this unit to my iPhone 8 was really quick and easy by holding down the source button for a few seconds when it was in Bluetooth mode. Now every time I turn the unit on it auto-connects quickly and effortlessly. So far so good.

I plugged in my Shure 846's (my favourites) and turned the unit on by turning the volume knob, which feels really nice and smooth. I started with some Boards of Canada FLAC files being played from FiiOMusic. Really nice sounding. I had the device on low gain and turned it up. Once I got to about 9 o'clock I did start to hear some background noise come in. Nothing too distracting but it's there. I turned the music off and listened to the noise come in and out as I adjusted the volume. Still there but not something that I feel would get in the way of the music.

I compared my BOC FLAC files to the highest quality streaming setting in Spotify and couldn't really tell the difference (I've always struggled with this). So far I'm really happy with the way the unit sounds. Nice and smooth. Good sound stage. Nothing stands out as being out of place. Nice and clear but punchy. I have my iPhone volume cranked and I'm happy listening at around 11 o'clock on the XP-2 Pro. Keep in mind that I'm on low gain so it would seem that this thing has power for days.

I'm going to keep listening but so far I think the XP-2 Pro beats my Fiio BTR3 in every way. Build quality is great. Sound is great so far and at $140 usd including priority shipping this thing is a steal! I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 35
Have you try to connect it with phone/DAP from usb output?

I’m waiting for a CCK for my iPhone to connect it directly but I have connected it to my MacBook Pro and it sounds great. XDuoo says it should connect to an iPhone without issue but we’ll see.

The only minor annoyance so far is how easy it is to push the input button accidentally.

I also wish it had a similar bass boost to the XD-05, which I loved, but I can live without it by EQ’ing if I need to.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 35
I have confirmed the unit works with my iPhone 8 and gen 7 iPad using the Apple CCK and a short USB-C cable.
Sounds really good!
I’m very happy with this purchase but just wish that there was a more elegant solution for connecting devices like this to an iPhone using the CCK.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 35
I have confirmed the unit works with my iPhone 8 and gen 7 iPad using the Apple CCK and a short USB-C cable.
Sounds really good!
I’m very happy with this purchase but just wish that there was a more elegant solution for connecting devices like this to an iPhone using the CCK.

This cable works great with iphone: https://www.xduoo.net/product/type-c-to-lighting-cable/

I'm pretty bummed by this device, though. I ordered it and the cable at the same time, the cable I thought would be used only with my xd-05 plus and I would use bluetooth with the xp-2 (the whole reason I ordered it). After working via bluetooth for about 3 days, the xp-2 pro no longer connects via bluetooth to my phone (or anything for that matter... i've tried android devices and my windows pc as well). I purchased directly from xduoo website and have reached out to them for help but have not received an answer.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 35
This cable works great with iphone: https://www.xduoo.net/product/type-c-to-lighting-cable/

I'm pretty bummed by this device, though. I ordered it and the cable at the same time, the cable I thought would be used only with my xd-05 plus and I would use bluetooth with the xp-2 (the whole reason I ordered it). After working via bluetooth for about 3 days, the xp-2 pro no longer connects via bluetooth to my phone (or anything for that matter... i've tried android devices and my windows pc as well). I purchased directly from xduoo website and have reached out to them for help but have not received an answer.

Man, that's not a good look... How long has it been since you reached out? Do update us on how long it takes for them to get back to you on this

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 35
After working via bluetooth for about 3 days, the xp-2 pro no longer connects via bluetooth to my phone (or anything for that matter... i've tried android devices and my windows pc as well). I purchased directly from xduoo website and have reached out to them for help but have not received an answer.
Wonder if this is the same issue I'm having. Initially, it connected via Bluetooth to my Xperia 10 no problem, getting LDAC connection. But I didn't use it for a few days on Bluetooth. When I tried to connect to another device, the XP2 would not appear as an available Bluetooth connection -- the blue light was blinking, indicating it was in pairing mode. Now it won't connect to my Xperia 10 anymore, either -- so currently no Bluetooth function.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 35
Wonder if this is the same issue I'm having. Initially, it connected via Bluetooth to my Xperia 10 no problem, getting LDAC connection. But I didn't use it for a few days on Bluetooth. When I tried to connect to another device, the XP2 would not appear as an available Bluetooth connection -- the blue light was blinking, indicating it was in pairing mode. Now it won't connect to my Xperia 10 anymore, either -- so currently no Bluetooth function.

Sounds like the exact same turn of events.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 35
Some updates:

I posted about my Bluetooth issues on xDuoo's forum. They got back to me and asked to send it back to them for repair, address in China. Not sure how much that shipping costs from US. Frankly I didn't plan to use it for Bluetooth anyway, so not gonna bother, but I did finish my review.

I like the unit quite a bit, it fits super nicely on my Sony A105. Plenty of power for any of my headphones, without even dipping into the high gain mode. Plays nice with IEMs, though there is some channel imbalance at low volume levels. I do really wish (1) the input button wasn't so easy to press by accident, and (2) the play/pause button functioned in USB DAC mode -- sadly it works only over Bluetooth, which...welp.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 35

any updates on this issue?
about to purchase the xp2 pro but kinda concerned after reading this

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back