XDUoo XD05PRO
Sep 1, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #497 of 2,271
In my case DHL Express handled customs clearance process in 2 days, just had to pay import taxes (168€), but seller via amazon.de told me that these taxes will be refunded in 3 business days to my paypal account. The only thing that I didn't like is that the box of XD05PRO came preopened with factory film torned off.

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #498 of 2,271
There's a slight brightness compared to the HP output of SP3000 even when using line-out, as an amplifier only. But Expanse is so far happy about having a bit of air in the highs.

20230901_112046_HDR.jpg

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #499 of 2,271
In my case DHL Express handled customs clearance process in 2 days, just had to pay import taxes (168€), but seller via amazon.de told me that these taxes will be refunded in 3 business days to my paypal account. The only thing that I didn't like is that the box of XD05PRO came preopened with factory film torned off.
In my case similar. The customs process was handled during shipment (started on the day dhl received the package (26.08) and was finalised when the package entered Poland (29.08).

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #500 of 2,271
There's a slight brightness compared to the HP output of SP3000 even when using line-out, as an amplifier only. But Expanse is so far happy about having a bit of air in the highs.

I think that "slight brightness" partly coming out of ess dac and for the most part out of opa1612 stock opamp. Better op amp should reduce that brightness noticeably.

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #501 of 2,271
The selector could mean:

- CHARGE:
any external power supply charges the battery, while it powers the DAC (or the DAC is also powered by the external power supply if connected, but always passing through the DC/DC inside the DAC)

- BATT:
the DAC is powered by the battery, and any external power supply is not used, even if connected

- EXT:
the DAC is powered by the external power supply, but always passing through the DC/DC inside the DAC, and the battery is neither charged nor discharged (therefore preserved)

Couldn't that be so?

I wanted to share with you my experience and some operational notes regarding the USB power supply of the XD05-PRO (switch in the 'EXT' position), in the hope that they will be useful.

Compared to what I had hypothesized about the operation of the charge switch,
it behaves as I had imagined, except for the
fact that in the 'charge' position it loads and that's it.
The DAC does not turn on.

But let's get to the point.

My wish is to use the DAC mainly with external power, because I will use it mainly in desktop mode (preserving the battery for when it will actually be useful to me).

I usually use a USB smart power supply, ie
a power supply capable of changing its output voltage from 5V up to 12V according to the requests made by the device that is connected.

https://amzn.eu/d/hDvHohb

I then position the rear switch on EXT, and connect the DAC to the USB-C of the power supply.

Everything seems to work, but the SPDIF audio is no longer coming.

I check everything again, put the switch back to BATT, and the audio comes through again.

So I think of a software bug, and write to SHENZENAUDIO about the problem.

They (who have shown themselves to be ready, efficient and courteous) write to the manufacturer, who informs me that my problem is due
to the low input voltage on USB, which must be 12V if the device is used in TURBO (with 5V you have to set the ECO mode, but I have not personally checked)

So I decide to investigate with USB charging protocol analyzer, like this:

https://amzn.eu/d/cWqXzv4

and I observe that with the rear switch in the EXT position, the voltage of the USB power supply remains at 5V, while if I switch to CHARGE, the voltage moves to 12V.
By putting it back in the EXT position, the voltage remains at 12V.

I ask again and SHENZENAUDIO, who in turn forward the question to XDUOO, who confirms what I found, and suggests using a power supply whose output can be manually set to 12V (or to use a 12V power supply wired to the USBC connector).

Have any of you done any experiments?

Which external power supply will you use?

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #504 of 2,271
Nice work.
Regarding previous discussions, the question is whether the linear power supply will co-operate with the xd05 pro.
I currently bought a power supply with pd protocols that has raiting for 12V/3A and I had to buy special cables that support the pd protocol otherwise the cables were not able to power the xd05 pro (the hardware shut down after a while).

I'll wait for someone to test if their linear power supply works.

As for the devices themselves, if it turns out that the xd05 pro can work with linear power supplies, I'm going to buy a 'handmade' power supply from muzg audio - I had the opportunity to listen to some of the equipment plugged in at AVS 2022 (audio video show 2022 in Warsaw), and they seemed to be of a high standard, in addition to which their equipment is recommended on Polish forums and has the ability to do 12/5A and a detachable usb-c cable.

https://muzgaudio.com/produkt/liniowy-zasilacz-audio/

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #506 of 2,271
I think that "slight brightness" partly coming out of ess dac and for the most part out of opa1612 stock opamp. Better op amp should reduce that brightness noticeably.
The DAC module is not involved in the analog input. The volume controller in all cases is PGA2311UA which is a digitally controlled analog volume controller, as stated here.

20230901_132155_HDR~3.jpg

1693567679042.png

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #507 of 2,271
Regarding previous discussions, the question is whether the linear power supply will co-operate with the xd05 pro.
I currently bought a power supply with pd protocols that has raiting for 12V/3A and I had to buy special cables that support the pd protocol otherwise the cables were not able to power the xd05 pro (the hardware shut down after a while).

As for the devices themselves, if it turns out that the xd05 pro can work with linear power supplies, I'm going to buy a 'handmade' power supply from muzg audio - I had the opportunity to listen to some of the equipment plugged in at AVS 2022 (audio video show 2022 in Warsaw), and they seemed to be of a high standard, in addition to which their equipment is recommended on Polish forums and has the ability to do 12/5A and a detachable usb-c cable.

Yes, I also performed various tests, changing various PD and non-PD cables.

But the result in my case has not changed.

It is as if in the EXT position no negotiation took place (on the output voltage) in the USB protocol, which instead happens when the switch is set to 'CHARGE'.

At least this is what emerged in my experiments with my USBC power supply, using the protocol analyzer above.

In any case, XDUOO's answer in this regard was the following:

If it is a fast charging charger for a mobile phone, it is not possible to output 12V from the charger in the EXT position.

You can set the charger to output 12V in the charging gear and then switch to EXT mode, or use a fixed 12V output adapter to avoid such trouble.

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #509 of 2,271

It is highly unlikely that any "extra clean" super expensive power supply would make any difference, as it anyway will go through a DC-DC converter. People often buy super expensive linear supplies instead of a switching power supply, for example, for RME ADI-2, but it already has, as I read from the developer, a high quality switching DC-DC converter after the power supply. So what you feed it does not matter much.

1693568161905.png

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #510 of 2,271
Yes, I also performed various tests, changing various PD and non-PD cables.

But the result in my case has not changed.

It is as if in the EXT position no negotiation took place (on the output voltage) in the USB protocol, which instead happens when the switch is set to 'CHARGE'.

At least this is what emerged in my experiments with my USBC power supply, using the protocol analyzer above.

In any case, XDUOO's answer in this regard was the following:

If it is a fast charging charger for a mobile phone, it is not possible to output 12V from the charger in the EXT position.

You can set the charger to output 12V in the charging gear and then switch to EXT mode, or use a fixed 12V output adapter to avoid such trouble.
This is also how I discovered a similar relationship that if it doesn't want to work (in the case of the quick charge charger) that if you first turn on charge and then switch to ext then it works.

But with my chargers in the case of one (realme super dirt around 9A/6-7A, there is an audible background noise - not very pleasant to use.

Aukey 65W charger and PD power supply (12V/3A) - if I use a cable without PD but with a quick charge rating of 3 it works after switching from charge to ext but my subjective feeling is that the sound lacks body, is more weak especially the bass - audible lack of energy compared to batteries.

It is only after using the PD cable that the sound is comparable or the same as the battery (hard for me to tell if there is any difference or if it is just a placebo effect with the PD cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back