XDUoo XD05PRO
Oct 28, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,066 of 2,407
Yep, implementation is the most important thing if you don't want to spoil a good dac, if you'll make it cheap - it will sound cheap.
Honestly, I don't expect a good sounding DAC module from Xduoo anymore 😄 ROHM module was an absolute "meh" for me, and I was expecting to get much more from AKM module than I actually got. So, afterall, I still prefer my ESS stock module over two other.

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #1,067 of 2,407
Interesting that Zeos prefers the ROHM DAC, but he has some weird opinions sometimes. :sweat_smile:

I've been using the AKM DAC the most. I still think the differences between them are quite subtle, but the AKM seems to work the best for me.

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,068 of 2,407
Interesting that Zeos prefers the ROHM DAC, but he has some weird opinions sometimes. :sweat_smile:

I've been using the AKM DAC the most. I still think the differences between them are quite subtle, but the AKM seems to work the best for me.
I think that Zeos has not even listened to that ROHM dac module with XD05PRO in time of his review :D just maid his opinion from other "better implemented" ROHM dac devices from his past experience...

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,073 of 2,407
Nice review, thanks for sharing it, too bad the R2R is not out yet, I would have loved to know his opinion because he seems to be more of a musical analog lover type of guy than an analytical optimum resolution type, for which the ESS seems to be a better fit.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #1,074 of 2,407
What exact cable is the optical/coaxial input at the rear?
Provide link if possible.

Edit:

Toslink to Mini Toslink Plug Jack 3.5mm?​

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,075 of 2,407
Nice review, thanks for sharing it, too bad the R2R is not out yet, I would have loved to know his opinion because he seems to be more of a musical analog lover type of guy than an analytical optimum resolution type, for which the ESS seems to be a better fit.
For someone who doesn’t own the product, you have too many assumptions dude.
First about the battery, now the ESS sound.

There may be other devices with ESS flagship DACs that sound analytical and boring (most of them the previous gen ES9038Pro). I can assure you the ES9039Pro on the Xd05Pro is nothing like that. It’s very musical and fun sounding, got decent bass too (even more with some of the op-amps).

I understand that you like a more analog sound from an R2R DAC, sure that’s a different sound signature. So far I haven’t heard anything analytical or reference like on this DAC/AMP.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,076 of 2,407
For someone who doesn’t own the product, you have too many assumptions dude.
First about the battery, now the ESS sound.

There may be other devices with ESS flagship DACs that sound analytical and boring (most of them the previous gen ES9038Pro). I can assure you the ES9039Pro on the Xd05Pro is nothing like that. It’s very musical and fun sounding, got decent bass too (even more with some of the op-amps).

I understand that you like a more analog sound from an R2R DAC, sure that’s a different sound signature. So far I haven’t heard anything analytical or reference like on this DAC/AMP.
100% agree it has more to do with implementation than what chip is used that determines the overall sound signature and the XD05 while having great technical chops leans slightly on the fun colored and very musical side. Bass is fast and in full force .

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,077 of 2,407
I know I didn't hear the XD-05 yet, waiting for the R2R to come out. But my comment above was based only on the video review posted, and the comments the guy made about differences he perceived between the ESS and the AKM.

I do own two relatively high end DAC/AMP devices with ESS chips, both tube based. One desktop (Unison Research SH) and the other "transportable" (Woo WA8). I also have a NOS tube DAC from MHDT (the Orchid). I heard quite a few devices through the years, since I'm old, and I can assure you that even though some like my Woo WA8 that has quite a nice sound with the ESS chip, I always go back to the NOS MHDT Orchid DAC when I want to be completely satisfied. That's why I'm waiting and hoping that the R2R XD-05 will soon become the DAC companion to my Woo WA8 amp.

You could say I might be biased towards an overly "analog", warm, recessed highs type of sound but hey, I prefer to consider that I like a sweet, refined and non fatiguing sound signature! :beerchug:

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,078 of 2,407
I know I didn't hear the XD-05 yet, waiting for the R2R to come out. But my comment above was based only on the video review posted, and the comments the guy made about differences he perceived between the ESS and the AKM.

I do own two relatively high end DAC/AMP devices with ESS chips, both tube based. One desktop (Unison Research SH) and the other "transportable" (Woo WA8). I also have a NOS tube DAC from MHDT (the Orchid). I heard quite a few devices through the years, since I'm old, and I can assure you that even though some like my Woo WA8 that has quite a nice sound with the ESS chip, I always go back to the NOS MHDT Orchid DAC when I want to be completely satisfied. That's why I'm waiting and hoping that the R2R XD-05 will soon become the DAC companion to my Woo WA8 amp.

You could say I might be biased towards an overly "analog", warm, recessed highs type of sound but hey, I prefer to consider that I like a sweet, refined and non fatiguing sound signature! :beerchug:

Many here are waiting for the R2R module,
but everyone here (at least so far) has been impressed
by the sonic qualities of this DAC,
especially with the ESS and AKM.

Furthermore, its cost is quite low for what it offers.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,079 of 2,407
Many here are waiting for the R2R module,
but everyone here (at least so far) has been impressed
by the sonic qualities of this DAC,
especially with the ESS and AKM.

Furthermore, its cost is quite low for what it offers.
Yap, you got it right on, the XD-05 is the DAC device, function wise, that I've been waiting for (transportable, battery driven). Shanling just came out with an interesting one as well but it is dedicated to an AKM chip, too bad for them! hahaha

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,080 of 2,407
Is it possible for XD05 to turn on the screen when the next song is played or on screen in the source device - Shanling M3 Ultra?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back