XDUoo XD05PRO
Aug 15, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #257 of 2,246
I'm assuming that the DAC modules will be a purchase on top of the default? i.e. you can't order it with the AKM DAC card instead of the ESS, you always get the ESS no matter what?

Aug 15, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #258 of 2,246
I'm assuming that the DAC modules will be a purchase on top of the default? i.e. you can't order it with the AKM DAC card instead of the ESS, you always get the ESS no matter what?
I feel like from a business standpoint with all the manufacturing agreements in place to get this production in place now, ...most definitely the ESS DAC

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #260 of 2,246
If you wait few more weeks, there might be other default options/bundles available.
At launch it is available only with the ES9039SPro DAC.
I am excited tbh because this is a brand new DAC and itā€™s quite an improvement over the old flagship ES9038Pro.

RIP Tidal Hifi-Plus users, no MQA support on the 9039SPro !

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #263 of 2,246
Some initial impressions, it definitely sounds like an ESS DAC a little bright and some filters work ok. The screens are very nice but I fear they will get burned if used continuously, good thing is that they can be set to auto turn off after a few seconds. The user manual is lacking a lot of details, the volume encoder sometimes doesn't register properly. Power wise it seems to be powerful enough for my headphones, I tried DCA Aeon 2 Nore, DCA Stealth and DCA Ether C Flow 1.1 (don't judge, for some reason I ended up with a bunch of DCA headphones). Bluetooth works fine with my iphone, USB works fine, and I also tried the AES input with my XDuoo x10T II.

Overall the unit is very solid, sound quality is good and it has enough power. Battery life is also very good, I used it at work most of the day and it still has more than half battery. Something I noticed is that it doesn't get very hot, which is good I think.

I hope the ROHM DAC makes it sound less sharp.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #264 of 2,246
Some initial impressions, it definitely sounds like an ESS DAC a little bright and some filters work ok. The screens are very nice but I fear they will get burned if used continuously, good thing is that they can be set to auto turn off after a few seconds. The user manual is lacking a lot of details, the volume encoder sometimes doesn't register properly. Power wise it seems to be powerful enough for my headphones, I tried DCA Aeon 2 Nore, DCA Stealth and DCA Ether C Flow 1.1 (don't judge, for some reason I ended up with a bunch of DCA headphones). Bluetooth works fine with my iphone, USB works fine, and I also tried the AES input with my XDuoo x10T II.

Overall the unit is very solid, sound quality is good and it has enough power. Battery life is also very good, I used it at work most of the day and it still has more than half battery. Something I noticed is that it doesn't get very hot, which is good I think.

Why do you get the feeling that displays can burn out with continuous use, if I may ask?

I read in the specifications that the output amplifier stage is class A, in your opinion does it sound like class A?

Thank you.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #265 of 2,246

and if rohm doesn't do the job, it is very likely that the other 3 cards (akm, r2r, cirrus) will :)

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #266 of 2,246
and if rohm doesn't do the job, it is very likely that the other 3 cards (akm, r2r, cirrus) will :)
This is a great invention to have a portable DAC with switchable DAC and AMP.
I already have a Dx320 so I know how the ROHM sounds like. The XD05Pro comes with ESS. I also have the Hiby R6P2 and I love the AKM Velvet sound.

Give me an R2R DAC module and my collection is complete for now ! :D
I donā€™t care about the CS DACs tbh, have a few dongles and cheap DACs with those and I donā€™t like how they sound.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #267 of 2,246
This is a great invention to have a portable DAC with switchable DAC and AMP.
I already have a Dx320 so I know how the ROHM sounds like. The XD05Pro comes with ESS. I also have the Hiby R6P2 and I love the AKM Velvet sound.

Give me an R2R DAC module and my collection is complete for now ! :D
I donā€™t care about the CS DACs tbh, have a few dongles and cheap DACs with those and I donā€™t like how they sound.
I might get this dacamp, already have sony s master, this can cover everything else super easily

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #268 of 2,246
XD05 Pro just arrived, I do think it walks a tight line between portable and desktop class DAC/amp. Here are some comparisons to the FiiO Q7 (massive already), the recently released xDuoo XD05 BAL 2, and the Questyle M15 to represent a more typical portable DAC/amp:

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg
IMG_6398.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #269 of 2,246
Wow šŸ˜® That it makes the Q7 look small is surprising. The Q7 is already quite large and pushing it as far as ā€œportableā€ goes. This is something else entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back