XDUoo XD05PRO
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #2,131 of 2,219
Ok, to clarify this myth, I did a quick check.
As stated, with the charger, my xd-05 pro can demand 12V when turning on in EXT mode.
With that, I switch to turbo mode, led is in red,
then I turned it off and then turned it back on again, and it is on turbo mode.
All are done in EXT position.
I see no above mentioned issue.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #2,132 of 2,219
I thought we were past discussing this and you know what I mean. Nevertheless let me clarify once again.
With an USB-C PD charger, you cannot switch on the device in Turbo mode. When you power down and then power up again it will NOT start in Turbo mode. Of course you can switch to Turbo after powering on. But if you want to keep that mode and prevent the device from going back to ECO, you need a 12v DC charger.

We had several pages of this discussion before where everyone has tried this so I assumed we all knew this :)
Apologies, I had an XD05 PRO on trial last August for a week or so, but only bought one in the last few weeks so skipped about 100 pages of posts. I never use Turbo mode so it doesn't bother me regardless. As you say, more interesting to focus on other topics.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #2,133 of 2,219
Apologies, I had an XD05 PRO on trial last August for a week or so, but only bought one in the last few weeks so skipped about 100 pages of posts. I never use Turbo mode so it doesn't bother me regardless. As you say, more interesting to focus on other topics.
Nothing to apologize. We are all here just trying to help others with information we have on the product so they make good, informed decisions :)

The more we discuss the better !

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #2,134 of 2,219
As stated, with the charger, my xd-05 pro can demand 12V when turning on in EXT mode.
Did you try to disconnect the usb cable, connect it again and then power it on in EXT ? In my experience the EXT mode Turbo only stays as long as you keep the USB-C connected. Once you disconnect and connect it back and then power it on, it doesn’t work anymore. With a 12v DC adapter this always works.

Did you try playing some sound immediately after switching on in Turbo Ext mode with an USB-C charger ? It won’t play any sound until you switch to Charge or Batt mode and then back again to Ext.

We’re just trying to help people who wants to buy the right charger for this. Many of us who have had this device since day 1 have done several of these tests. In the end what you buy is up to you :)

If you really have an USB-C PD charger that allows the XD05Pro to work with all the above scenarios in EXT Turbo mode then please give us a link to this charger. At least I will try it out. I like having all USB-C chargers. I have like a dozen of them here, most of them 100W GaN chargers.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #2,136 of 2,219

But are you sure you have more than 5V on the USB?
You should use a USB tester or USB cable with voltmeter to make sure.

In my personal experience, the XD05 turns on (almost always) in TURBO mode even with 5V USB, but it doesn't work properly.

For example, in my case the SPDIF input did not work correctly.

I had opened a ticket with XDUOO at the time, and they replied that the device does not work properly when underpowered.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #2,137 of 2,219
But are you sure you have more than 5V on the USB?
You should use a USB tester or USB cable with voltmeter to make sure.

In my personal experience, the XD05 turns on (almost always) in TURBO mode even with 5V USB, but it doesn't work properly.

For example, in my case the SPDIF input did not work correctly.

I had opened a ticket with XDUOO at the time, and they replied that the device does not work properly when underpowered.
Yes, the charger has display for each port showing voltage,current and wattage.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,138 of 2,219
Tested

Xduoo 05FS1 (12V 2A)
Ugreen GaN (100W)
Dell ISB-C Laptop Charger (5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A)

Xd05pro can be operated the turbo mode with all power supplies. However 12V output sounds better than 9v, also unit temperature is hotter than 9v operation.

(1) Xduoo 05FS1
IMG_4808.jpeg

(2) GaN 100w charger
IMG_4813.jpeg

(3) Dell 9v laptop charger
IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4814.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #2,139 of 2,219
Yes, the charger has display for each port showing voltage,current and wattage.

Tested

Xduoo 05FS1 (12V 2A)
Ugreen GaN (100W)

Xd05pro can be operated the turbo mode with all power supplies. However 12V output sounds better than 9v, also unit temperature is hotter than 9v operation.

(1) Xduoo 05FS1
IMG_4808.jpeg
(2) GaN 100w charger
IMG_4813.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg
IMG_4814.jpeg

So probably something inside the XD05 has been changed since I (and others here) got the unit.

I purchased it immediately as soon as it was put on the market, in August 2023.
Are your units perhaps newer?

Of course this seems strange to me, given that XDUOO itself specifically mentions the external 12V LINEAR power supply to have desktop mode; It doesn't mention a QC or PD USB power supply.
Maybe because they were planning to sell theirs? 😂

Maybe.

https://xduoo.net/product/xd05-pro/

IMG_8982.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,140 of 2,219
So probably something inside the XD05 has been changed since I (and others here) got the unit.

I purchased it immediately as soon as it was put on the market, in August 2023.
Are your units perhaps newer?

Of course this seems strange to me, given that XDUOO itself specifically mentions the external 12V LINEAR power supply to have desktop mode; It doesn't mention a QC or PD USB power supply.
Maybe because they were planning to sell theirs? 😂

Maybe.

https://xduoo.net/product/xd05-pro/

IMG_8982.jpeg
I purchased recently, but I think it is more on the charger than on XD05 itself.
As long as 12V is supplied, it is on desktop mode, I don't think XD05 will know how the power is supplied, right?

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #2,141 of 2,219
but I think it is more on the charger than on XD05 itself.
Maybe... but I had tested it with various 'smart' USB power supplies, and used a USB protocol analyzer to deduce its behavior.
In the meantime I have acquired other USB power supplies.
I will carry out further tests with these.

As long as 12V is supplied, it is on desktop mode, I don't think XD05 will know how the power is supplied, right?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean..

edit:
but if you mean that the DAC will work with any power supply, as long as it supplies 12V, I think so.

The point is that given the enormous availability of smart USB power supplies (I think it's safe to say we all have at least one), it would have been unnecessarily limiting (commercially) to advertise the need for a 12V linear power supply to achieve desktop mode.

The fact is that if the power supply is to be a smart USB, the device must support the appropriate QC or PD charging protocols not only for charging (which happens) but also for normal use (switch in EXT ), which doesn't happen on my device (at least with power supplies I had tested).

Support for charging protocols is essential to obtain more than 5V from a smart USB power supply, because they are 'locked' to 5V for backwards compatibility reasons.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #2,142 of 2,219
Maybe... but I had tested it with various 'smart' USB power supplies, and used a USB protocol analyzer to deduce its behavior.
In the meantime I have acquired other USB power supplies.
I will carry out further tests with these.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean..

edit:
but if you mean that the DAC will work with any power supply, as long as it supplies 12V, I think so.

The point is that given the enormous availability of smart USB power supplies (I think it's safe to say we all have at least one), it would have been unnecessarily limiting (commercially) to advertise the need for a 12V linear power supply to achieve desktop mode.

The fact is that if the power supply is to be a smart USB, the device must support the appropriate QC or PD charging protocols not only for charging (which happens) but also for normal use (switch in EXT ), which doesn't happen on my device (at least with power supplies I had tested).

Support for charging protocols is essential to obtain more than 5V from a smart USB power supply, because they are 'locked' to 5V for backwards compatibility reasons.
You are absolutely right. An USB-C PD charger will always negotiate 5V supply at startup. The pictures above prove nothing because they only show power while operating, not while powering up. This is the problem.

I think we’ve explained enough. If they’re happy with the way it works let them be. One day they’ll figure out that it doesn’t always work like that or may be they never will. Let’s move on :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #2,143 of 2,219
Tested

Xduoo 05FS1 (12V 2A)
Ugreen GaN (100W)

(1) Xduoo 05FS1
IMG_4808.jpeg
(2) GaN 100w charger
IMG_4813.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg
IMG_4814.jpeg
If you really want to prove a point, try this.

1. Record a video.
2. Set the XD05Pro to EXT + Turbo mode.
3. Power down and fully disconnect the USB-C charger and tester from the XD05Pro.
4. Connect the GaN charger with the tester to the XD05Pro and power it on.
5. Play some sound through the XD05Pro without changing modes.
6. Post the video so we can all see :)

If this works then like @Ferdinando1968 said may be something has changed in the newer XD05Pro units because on our units this does not work and as he explained it’s how the USB-C handshake works.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #2,145 of 2,219
Anyone installed Ufeel op-amps buffer for your XD05 Pro? Some impressions pls.
I I stalled these on my Aroma Audio A100TB & it's sounds awesome!
IMG_20240415_204425.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back