XDUoo XD05PRO
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,756 of 2,262
I want to save up for Storm! But i heard it one of the hardest to drive and i like portable not stationary. So XD05 pro is viable option.
Storm is hard to drive *well*. You can get it to make a noise from pretty much any device, of course, but it is one of those transducers that scales massively with better sources and amplification. It can defeat a lot of even very good portable gear, and it's only when you hear Storm driven properly that you really start to appreciate it.

You can combine portable amps to get more from Storm, imho, if you don't want to go for desktop gear. For example, using line out from the XD05 PRO into a dedicated portable amp will likely deliver better results than just using the XD05 PRO alone - MASS-Kobo 475, iBasso PB5, Cayin C9, Analog Squared Paper TUR-08 - would all deliver good results, imho. You can tune the sound quite significantly with different amps. It really depends on budget, preferences, and synergy per the above comments.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #1,758 of 2,262
Think I saw the R2R module here!
IMG_20240330_165338.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #1,760 of 2,262
Think I saw the R2R module here!
IMG_20240330_165338.jpg
maybe but to me it looks like we are getting a new xd bal device that also might have interchangeable modules if you look at the device on the left and maybe its for this one. just guessing tho. anyways great find! thank you for sharing!

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #1,761 of 2,262
maybe but to me it looks like we are getting a new xd bal device that also might have interchangeable modules if you look at the device on the left and maybe its for this one. just guessing tho. anyways great find! thank you for sharing!
Note they also use the new cooler unit for that device!

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #1,762 of 2,262
The green beast on the left is the new XD05T - I believe this is xDuoo's tube amp :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #1,763 of 2,262

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #1,765 of 2,262
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,767 of 2,262
It's tricky comparing the subtleties of the different DAC cards without having two XD05s (or three, ideally) to hand. I have tried switching back and forth between the ESS and AKM again today. I can't perceive a significant difference in stage and separation, to be honest. I would say the ESS feels a tad crisper, the AKM a little bassier and more organic. But as @sofastreamer said, it's all about preferences, library, and bias.

I don't feel like there's a lot between the ESS and AKM overall. Once my AKM module arrives, I will use that for a while and see how I get on with different genres, IEMs, headphones, amps, e.t.c.
Ah, thank you for your insight 🙏
No idea, but I use the cable with the extension. Make sure both cables are tightened up and locked together, no issues so far with the cable. I also use the light end into my phone
I tried using the XD05 brand USB C to USB C cable with the extension cable for the external power source by plugging one end to a 5 volt phone charger and the other end to the XD05 Pro. And then I connected my phone to the XD05 Pro with another USB C to USB C cable. For some odd reason, my Tidal app kept disrupting the music and asking for permission to connect to the XD05 Pro. I would press okay, and then the request would pop up again a couple seconds later. Usually, the Tidal app only asks once in the beginning, but it seems like the XD05 brand USB C to USB C cable just throws a monkey wrench into the connection or something. I don't know if my specific cable is defective, or if it just isn't compatible with my phone (S22 Ultra). When I use any other cable(s), everything works fine. It's only when I try to use the XD05 brand cable when things start glitching up 🤔

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,768 of 2,262
Does anyone drive iems on normal mode? I found normal mode sounds better with iems compared to eco. Only point of eco is if the iem is truly extremely sensitive
I've tried that and would agree that IEMs can sound more dynamic in Normal mode. I tried with ThieAudio V16, which is very sensitive. I can listen to about volume level 15 in Eco mode, maybe 12 in Normal or Turbo with that IEM. Compare that to ~ 40 for Storm at an equivalent volume in Eco, maybe 35 in Normal or Turbo. My one issue with sensitive IEMs in Normal mode is even on 0, I can still hear some music if my source is running.

I could only hear any background hiss without my source running, even with V16, in Turbo mode with the volume above about 90. Basically, it's dead silent to my ears otherwise.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #1,769 of 2,262
Ah, thank you for your insight 🙏

I tried using the XD05 brand USB C to USB C cable with the extension cable for the external power source by plugging one end to a 5 volt phone charger and the other end to the XD05 Pro. And then I connected my phone to the XD05 Pro with another USB C to USB C cable. For some odd reason, my Tidal app kept disrupting the music and asking for permission to connect to the XD05 Pro. I would press okay, and then the request would pop up again a couple seconds later. Usually, the Tidal app only asks once in the beginning, but it seems like the XD05 brand USB C to USB C cable just throws a monkey wrench into the connection or something. I don't know if my specific cable is defective, or if it just isn't compatible with my phone (S22 Ultra). When I use any other cable(s), everything works fine. It's only when I try to use the XD05 brand cable when things start glitching up 🤔
That's strange, maybe could be a faulty cable 🤔. But I don't use the Xduoo cable for anything other than connecting to my phone or PC. And I also don't use a phone charger to power the XD05

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,770 of 2,262
I've tried that and would agree that IEMs can sound more dynamic in Normal mode. I tried with ThieAudio V16, which is very sensitive. I can listen to about volume level 15 in Eco mode, maybe 12 in Normal or Turbo with that IEM. Compare that to ~ 40 for Storm at an equivalent volume in Eco, maybe 35 in Normal or Turbo. My one issue with sensitive IEMs in Normal mode is even on 0, I can still hear some music if my source is running.

I could only hear any background hiss without my source running, even with V16, in Turbo mode with the volume above about 90. Basically, it's dead silent to my ears otherwise.
The V16 are very sensitive. On my Prestige LTD on ECO it ranges from 32 to 40 depending on album. On normal 26 to 34. Turbo 24 to 32. That's with External power. On battery it's the same. With blutooth add 5 to all numbers give or take. But them Storms are pretty power hungry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back