XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #2,026 of 2,100
Bass boost with HD6XX was not so great for me as it changed the sound signature and made already warm and thick sound even more warmer and thicker. If you prefer that kind of signature, you are going to like it. If not, you better keep it off.

I liked the bass boost with Ananda than with HD6XX and LCD2C. It made Ananda sound just the way I wanted.

The Xbass II on xCan is better than the bass boost on XD-05+ IMO as it doesn't change the sound signature.
No I didn't mean BASS, but BOOST which should be an impedance adapter, to be activated with headphones with impedance higher than 150 ohms.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #2,029 of 2,100
Do you also use XD-05 Plus with Burson? How do you compare it to your other devices?
Yes, Burson makes the stock neutral sound a little warm and musical. I had xCan which actually colors sound quite a bit. I liked it better than XD-05 Plus initially but over the time I preferred XD-05 sound.

The DAC on FiiO M11 Pro (4497) sounds natural than the DAC on XD-05 Plus (4493) but the power makes it more than worth its price. I don't think there is anything better than XD-05 Plus in its price range.

iFi xDSD Gryphon may be better but it costs more than twice.

Mar 22, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #2,031 of 2,100
I'd be curious to see how much better the iFi xDSD Gryphon sounds compared to the Xduoo XD-05 plus with V5i.

Yes, this would be a cool comparison and I'm sure that someone will do it sooner than later!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 10, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,032 of 2,100
I have the original XD-05 that has the USB-A input and dual op amp only. I've rolled a few opamps over the years but recently the Sparko SS2590 Pro is just plain awsome in this AMP(recommended by Michael Bruce on youtube). I went from the Burson V5i then to the Sparko and there is a world of difference. Instrument seperation, space, and resolution are all incredible now. Bass hits hard when it needs to on EDM, Rap, etc. Yeah the Sparko setup costs almost as much as the XD-05 did, and you have to mod the case to fit it, but it is performing better than anything 4x its price now. I have it feeding a Bottlehead Mainline tube amplifier with Fostex TH900 Mk2 Saphire Blue limited edition headphones and the combination gives me smiles & goosebumps. Also plenty of headroom with this stack.

May 11, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,033 of 2,100
I have the original XD-05 that has the USB-A input and dual op amp only. I've rolled a few opamps over the years but recently the Sparko SS2590 Pro is just plain awsome in this AMP(recommended by Michael Bruce on youtube). I went from the Burson V5i then to the Sparko and there is a world of difference. Instrument seperation, space, and resolution are all incredible now. Bass hits hard when it needs to on EDM, Rap, etc. Yeah the Sparko setup costs almost as much as the XD-05 did, and you have to mod the case to fit it, but it is performing better than anything 4x its price now. I have it feeding a Bottlehead Mainline tube amplifier with Fostex TH900 Mk2 Saphire Blue limited edition headphones and the combination gives me smiles & goosebumps. Also plenty of headroom with this stack.
Oracle II have been a great discover for me. Good price and "clean" sound.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #2,037 of 2,100
Hi. My xduoo xd-05 that i treat it as well as can be, only charging when needed and trying to charge it between 30 and 70 per cent.
And i use it as a desktop dac but its not always connected to the charger as i said above.

Now it wont work, it even wont turn the screen on and i think it only makes the click sound in certain situations that i haven´t found exactly what are, but I think the clicking sound is like this. As i've tried to charge it, and now the battery is charged to it’s full capacity. And i think it only clicks when the battery goes low a bit, and then when i try to connect microusb charging cable( the cable turns red, then stops, wich i think means battery charged), then it unlicks and nothing...
I think that I’ve ear a click from the turning wheel, but now i'm certain its not making the click when i turn the wheel on or off.
Also when connected to windows (previsouly working) now it doesnt even detect with different usb cables uses along the process.

Is this a battery thing?
How can i be sure? Is there something i can do to fix this? is there a tool

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #2,038 of 2,100
Oracle II have been a great discover for me. Good price and "clean" sound.
Oracle ll was meh,compared to the Burson V5i and Sparko Lab ss2590. The Sparko is by far the best, but requires cutting case for fit.

Attachments

• IMG_8977.jpg
    IMG_8977.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9045.jpg
    IMG_9045.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,039 of 2,100
Beautiful modification, nicely done :heart_eyes:! It looks professional. Were there any other discretes you tried before going with the ss2590?

In the XD-05 I stopped tinkering with it after trying the Burson V6 vivids & classics. That was the furthest I was willing to go since the other large discretes didn't have their own enclosure. In other amps I've done a lot of discrete comparisons and found the Sonic Imagery 992/994enh's are by far my favorite. I haven't tried the ss2590 just yet though. I plan on comparing the 992enh to the ss2590 in the next month, and I expect the ss2590 won't disappoint.

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #2,040 of 2,100
The Sparko Labs SS2590 was the only discrete op amp I tried. Recommended by Youtube reviewer Michael Bruce and then I did some web research. I have Burson V5i and V6 opamps, but I didn't try the V6 due to form factor. But from information that I found the Sonic Imagery sounds almost identical to the Sparkos Labs SS2590. The Sonic Imagery had multiple versions with varying output drive currents, so I just went with the SS2590 since Michael Bruce had run it with great results. The project box I used to cover the opamp fit the width of the XD-05 almost perfectly and the depth fit the opamp nicely also. The 100x66x43mm project box came from Aliexpress and I cut it down for size and contoured it to fit the shape of the XD-05. Aliexpress item # 2251832631592976

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back