XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 31, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,698 of 2,100
Finally got my 05 plus , happy with it paired with R70X, but need more treble I think.

My burson V5iD is still on the way, will it help to boost the treble and clarity?
It's not necessarily going to boost treble, but it will definitely give you more resolution and a significantly increased holographic presentation. For more treble, you'll need to tweak it with some EQ from your source.

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,699 of 2,100
Sweet, love this amp with anything audio Technica.
Thx for your recommendation :D
It's not necessarily going to boost treble, but it will definitely give you more resolution and a significantly increased holographic presentation. For more treble, you'll need to tweak it with some EQ from your source.
Ok thanks :D

Btw , what's the function of filter button and src on the side of device?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,700 of 2,100
I noticed one thing recently with my XD-05 Plus, when using USB input I am hearing some very minute popping / clicking noise, and its random in nature, its more apparent after the 1 AM mark with medium gain or higher and Boost on, surprisingly I don't hear it when using the optional Bluetooth module, but I haven't tried any other input yet. I am using the HD-6xx, I hear this both with my Galaxy Note 10+ and Fiio M6, anyone else having this issue will greatly appreciate your feedback.
My 05+ always sound "click" when connected to my device (it appears when DAC section switching from phone to the 05+). I don't know if this a fail or just normal. Gonna ask my dealer soon. My 05+ also do something weird noise once just now and the headphone stop sounding. I restart my phone app and all fixed. What issue is this?

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,702 of 2,100
My 05+ always sound "click" when connected to my device (it appears when DAC section switching from phone to the 05+). I don't know if this a fail or just normal. Gonna ask my dealer soon. My 05+ also do something weird noise once just now and the headphone stop sounding. I restart my phone app and all fixed. What issue is this?
The click when you start playback is normal for the unit. I think there's an internal disconnect so there isn't a surge when there's a switch. I've had some other units that have similar behavior. I don't have random clicking or popping at any other time -- I wonder if you're on high gain and the protection clicks over? Or does it seem like it might be clipping?

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,703 of 2,100
Thx for your recommendation :D

Ok thanks :D

Btw , what's the function of filter button and src on the side of device?
The filter button switches between the different digital filters. I think they're the ones built into the DAC chip -- seven in total (sharp roll-off, slow roll-off, short delay sharp roll-off and short delay slow roll-off for PCM streams; reserved cut off filter, 50k cut off filter and 150k cut off filter for DSD streams). Try them, you may or may not be able to hear a difference between them. I use short/slow usually.

The SRC button upsamples the stream but it only works when you use the SPDIF input, at least according to Google. I've never used it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,704 of 2,100
The click when you start playback is normal for the unit. I think there's an internal disconnect so there isn't a surge when there's a switch. I've had some other units that have similar behavior. I don't have random clicking or popping at any other time -- I wonder if you're on high gain and the protection clicks over? Or does it seem like it might be clipping?
Ok, so the click sound is normal when playing music for the first time plugging it/turn 05+ on.
Me too , no random clicking or popping. But yesterday, my 05+ make a weird sound. Don't know how to explain it, maybe closest sound I can explain is like a "rewind sound effects" if I search it on YouTube loll :D and then the sound gone. But when I restart the device, all go back to normal.. ( hi gain + boost mode ).
How to know that my 05+ turned on the protection mode?, No clipping sound btw.

Also thanks for your explanation about filter.i Still don't hear the difference lol :D

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,705 of 2,100
Os problemas voltaram no meu xd05, ontem a tela foi embaralhada e os botões laterais foram congelados. hoje ele desligou sozinho, apesar de ter 100% da energia da bateria, eu já desconectei a bateria três vezes e ainda não voltei à vida.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,707 of 2,100
I only have the standard XD-05, and while it's probably possible in some way since the battery is connected with a plug and not soldered (if I remember), it is stuck down to the PCB pretty solidly. Pictures I've seen of the Plus look similar, although it's a different battery. I'm not sure where you'd source a replacement one from or how hard it would be to get off the board. I've had mine for quite a few years and it gets a fair amount of use, and I've noticed no (or very little) battery degradation. I don't notice a lot of pieces of audio gear that have easily replaceable batteries, but YMMV.

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,708 of 2,100
Hey guys,

gonna write about the XD-05+ here - hope this is ok, but it seems that this thread gets way more attention and also has content about the plus.

Got mine like 2 weeks ago as an upgrade over my Fiio E17 (not K) to drive my DT-1770 at work (wanted to get something more in the mobile size range as it moves from my desk into a drawer every evening)....so far I really love how it drives the Beyers, really great sound and sound quality (running it via USB from my Lenovo X1).

But there are some questions after the 2 weeks I want to throw around here.....

First (not so much a question): I started to hear a scratching distortion noise after the first week that really got annoying (the more I heard it the more I focused on it). I first thought it was coming from somewhere "before" the XD-05+ (driver issues or something like this). Went to increase the buffer in the driver settings but this did not really help. When I searched this thread I found a few posts talking about interferences from wifi/mobile signals.....so I moved my phone to the other side of the desk and turned off wifi on my laptop while it's connected to the LAN. So far this seems to work. Is the thing really this prone for interferences?

Then - cables: I was able to use it with the bundled cables (no surprise there) but a bunch of USB-C to USB-C cables I bought over amazon did not work (neither for connecting it to my laptop nor for loading) whily the UBS-A to USB-C cables work (both for loading and for playing from my laptop). Also a USB-C to Lightning cable I bought does not work. I read here in the thread something about OTG cables - can someone confirm that this is what I need to get?

Loading and battery display: maybe first the display - it seems that the battery display as at best a good guess regarding how long it will run....it feels like it slowly removes two to three bars of the five in total and then basically without any further notice goes to completely empty. Anyone else saw that too? Then right now I also ran into trouble using it while it was loading. Always got Windows messages saying the device was not functioning properly. Now while writing this and when I turned it on shortly to check the battery display it all of a sudden worked again. Was it just being a bit "touchy" because the battery ran completely empty?

Long post, sorry guys. Like I said - I love how it sounds (listened to the new Tame Impala album earlier today and really was blown away), also the build quality is great but right now it's giving me a bit of tough love which kinda bugs me for a 250€ device (while my E-17 worked like a charm) :unamused:

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,709 of 2,100
I can answer some of your questions --
1. Yes, it is very prone to interference (although it seems like it's worse from some directions). I have some copper foil that I'm planning to line the inside of the body with, I'm waiting to cut up my hands -- I hear it's dangerously sharp stuff.
2. Yes, you need an OTG cable. I have the non-plus version, I have a USB-A to lightning cable that I use.
3. I don't know about the Plus, the non-Plus runs until it doesn't. The battery gauge seems like a best guess on the best days.

Glad you enjoy it, try upgrading the OpAmps -- it's amazing.

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,710 of 2,100

In your case I presume its a temporary switching sound which even my Fiio Q5s does when switching input, but in my XD-05 plus its more a **continuous** clicky poppy which occur s when using USB input in medium+ gain, boost on and volume 1 AM+ mark.

Guys, if anyone of you have the XD-05 plus can you please check if you see similar issues using my settings, I am using HD-6xx, want to see if it is my issue only or its across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back