XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #826 of 2,100

I'm not sure about hissing, but the xd-05 definitely has more bass
basshead.gif

I did a comparison a while back which might be of some interest:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789886/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions/570#post_12954239

I find that the XD-05 has a pretty noticeable sub-bass roll off

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #827 of 2,100

Yes, I find that too...
tongue_smile.gif

But I was only comparing with the HA-2 which I found bass-light
gs1000.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #828 of 2,100

Found that too as well! But the bass boost does help a ton!

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #829 of 2,100

I'm not sure about hissing, but the xd-05 definitely has more bass
basshead.gif

I did a comparison a while back which might be of some interest:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789886/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions/570#post_12954239

have you test it with IEM similar to shockwave impedance . shockwave 3 impedance is 20. so did you test it with IEM with similar impedance or less to see if there is hissing ???

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #830 of 2,100
  have you test it with IEM similar to shockwave impedance . shockwave 3 impedance is 20. so did you test it with IEM with similar impedance or less to see if there is hissing ???

My only "real" pair of IEMs are the Sony XB-4 and have not noticed any hiss.
I just checked that it has an Impedance of and Sensitivity of 108dB.

Hope that helps
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #831 of 2,100
Looks like my Burson preamp came, gonna pick it up tomorrow. Will update my impressions when I get it. 

Getting excited!

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #832 of 2,100
Just would like to comment to anyone that buys this amp, please upgrade the opamp.  Even with something like the OPA2134PA.  I bought 2 for $5 off ebay and it is a "significant"(in headphone terms) improvement.  I am not golden ears by any means so I can only really describe it is as cleaner and better.  I put the original op amp in another amp that I have and you can hear the loss.  Just wanted to leave this for people not ready to put out $40 plus shipping for an improvement.  This is <$5 well spent.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #833 of 2,100
  Just would like to comment to anyone that buys this amp, please upgrade the opamp.  Even with something like the OPA2134PA.  I bought 2 for $5 off ebay and it is a "significant"(in headphone terms) improvement.  I am not golden ears by any means so I can only really describe it is as cleaner and better.  I put the original op amp in another amp that I have and you can hear the loss.  Just wanted to leave this for people not ready to put out $40 plus shipping for an improvement.  This is <$5 well spent.

I have the Burson op-amp and I notice an improvement, but honestly it sounded pretty good before as well.

Overall i wish i could EQ it a bit because the highs feel harsh to me [less so with the burson op-amp].

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #835 of 2,100
Does anyone find relatively high stereo crosstalk bothersome ? Two different sources (headphoniacs and reference audio analyser) are reporting ather high crosstalk.

Could it be related to grounding issues reported previously? Can anyone who has corrected ground connections report new RMAA results to see if there is any improvement afterwards?

Thanks.

The crosstalk in this unit is basically a design error. Both PCB and circuitry cause high bleeding, mostly dependent on the position of the volume knob. Highest bleeding is at the 2 o'clock position. Technically that is another proof that this is a cheap unit desgned by people who just jam together a few chips but don't really know what they are doing (see my other posts about the filters not working correctly, and the sample rate converter distorting audio). In real-world the separation is still better than FM radio and you won't notice the crosstalk.

I've just made a crosstalk test with two headphones:
- Alclair Reference (with 1/4" - 1/8" adapter)
- Shure SRH440 (1/4" input)

Setting balance volume at windows audio control I was able to hear the right channel at the left speaker when the left side is muted, the same goes for the other channel. The crosstalk intensity is about half (or less than half) the volume. I don't know if this is common in everything that has an audio output, but this really turns me down with XDuoo XD-05.

I've not check or made the gound fix.

Maybe the only way to avoid crosstalk is with full dual mono setups or balanced outputs?

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #837 of 2,100
I've just made a crosstalk test with two headphones:
- Alclair Reference (with 1/4" - 1/8" adapter)
- Shure SRH440 (1/4" input)

Setting balance volume at windows audio control I was able to hear the right channel at the left speaker when the left side is muted, the same goes for the other channel. The crosstalk intensity is about half (or less than half) the volume. I don't know if this is common in everything that has an audio output, but this really turns me down with XDuoo XD-05.

I've not check or made the gound fix.

Maybe the only way to avoid crosstalk is with full dual mono setups or balanced outputs?

I just did the same thing now with Neutron player and cranked volume to very high levels but I could not notice any crosstalk with a 64 ohm headphone. I do not know if it has anything to do with ground mod but mine is modded.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #838 of 2,100
I just did the same thing now with Neutron player and cranked volume to very high levels but I could not notice any crosstalk with a 64 ohm headphone. I do not know if it has anything to do with ground mod but mine is modded.

I've just made the ground mod.

I have the black model so the front and back gound pins where anodized before the ground mod.

After the ground mod I keep hearing the cross talk when doing the test on each channel, but it seems that crosstalk has reduced to around 25-30% (from 40-50% before the ground mod).

Thanks for your response.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #840 of 2,100
I have tested using these now:

*Ve monk plus (64 ohm) -> Very low crosstalk. Only noticeable at high volume. (Still at listenable level)
*Xiaomi hybrid gen 4 (16 ohm) -> High crosstalk. It really disturbed me at high volume. But not very noticeable at low-medium volume.

Yesterday:
*Takstar pro 80 (64 ohm) -> Could not identify crosstalk at listenable levels.

I used line output with gen 4 and there was no crosstalk. So it should be something in amp section. Can anyone test crosstalk with burson amp installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back