XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jul 19, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,786 of 2,100
Personally I love the analoguish sound of the Burson v5i, but the subbass is somewhat slightly less than the stock opamp.

What input into the XD-05 are you using? In my testing I found that sub bass is inherently lacking when using the DAC in the XD-05 (coax or USB inputs). It's there, but it lacks proper decay so it goes away far too quickly before the rumble can really set in. The 827SQ does improve the bass response compared to the Burson (the Burson is a bit loose), but not enough to entirely fix the problem of the XD-05 DAC itself.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,787 of 2,100
What input into the XD-05 are you using? In my testing I found that sub bass is inherently lacking when using the DAC in the XD-05 (coax or USB inputs). It's there, but it lacks proper decay so it goes away far too quickly before the rumble can really set in. The 827SQ does improve the bass response compared to the Burson (the Burson is a bit loose), but not enough to entirely fix the problem of the XD-05 DAC itself.

I don't hear any differences between input, but you are right, the burson has a loose bass compare to stock, but overall still much better soundwise. I think I,ll try the AD827.

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,788 of 2,100
The AD827 is a dual version of Analog Device's industry-standard AD847 op amp.

:astonished: I had no idea that there was a single version of the 827. And here I thought I was finally retired from rolling Op Amps. Guess I have one more to try. Nice find, and thank you very much for the info.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,789 of 2,100
Been listening to this amp a lot lately, and it truly is impressive with the right setup. I changed out the coax cable I was using from a FiiO L17 to the pack in cable I got with my Topping NX3s, and sound quality improved a few more % points. I guess the L17 isn't the correct makeup to be used as a coax.

Comparing the XD-05+ to my desktop setup I can still tell there is a subtle difference, but I seriously doubt I would be able to pass a blind test any more. This little amp is proving to be well worth it with the AD827SQ and proper cables/adapters. It's improved a huge amount from stock where I was ready to send it back. Up to now I've been thinking about moving up the amp chain to a Mojo or higher, but I can't see any need for that any more. The sound being produced is so good it really doesn't leave much to be desired.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,790 of 2,100
I juts posted my review of the XD05 Plus, it's a great little DAC/Amp with tons of power, but there is some hiss with sensitive IEM's

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-xd-05-plus.23940/reviews#item-review-24013

DSC_6289.jpg

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,791 of 2,100
Was able to try the AD847SQ and compared it to the AD827SQ.
  • The 847 sounds clearer compared to the 827. Notes are sharper without any fuzz at all.
  • The 847 has a little bit better separation due to the clearer sound.
  • The 847 bass hits cleaner and harder, also thanks to the clearer sound. The bass is very satisfying.
However...
  • The 827 has a better sound stage. It wraps completely around on my headphones whereas the 847 pushes the stage strictly to the front.
  • The 827 sounds better/more natural for non-electronic music. The 847 is so clear that instruments lose a little of their warmth.
  • I'm not certain of the cause, but after listening to the 847 my ears feel cut up. Almost as if I've been listening to loud high frequencies that are causing ear damage. I've experienced this consistenly on some other chips like the Muses01, but I'm not sure the exact cause.

The 827SQ is back in my Amp for good. The 847 sounds great and would make it into my top 5 op amps easily, but the 827SQ is still a more complete chip in my opinion.

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,793 of 2,100
Hi all,
I am a user of the xd-05 with Burson V5i.

I am upgrading, and currently indifferent between the XD-05 Plus with V5i OR Chord Mojo.

Which one do u think is better?

Cheers

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,794 of 2,100
I am upgrading, and currently indifferent between the XD-05 Plus with V5i OR Chord Mojo.

Which one do u think is better?

I'd love to know this as well, but I'm not sure if anyone here has had both an XD-05 Plus and a Mojo to answer that. From earlier posts in the thread the general consensus what that the Mojo still sounded better than a normal XD-05 with a Burson v5i. However, I haven't seen any comparisons made with the Plus model yet.

Output power of the XD-05+ is considerably better than the Mojo (1,000 mW vs low 400's @ 32 ohm for the Mojo (from testing sites)), but that only matters if you are trying to drive really power hungry headphones. Sensitive headphones should max out their power requirements between 250-500mW. The XD-05+ also has one more input option being the aux in. The Mojo however has a wonderful reputation, probably the best reputation of any portable amplifier in the market.

We really do need a proper comparison between the two, especially using a Burson v5i and an AD827SQ in the XD-05+. Having heard what the XD-05+ can do with an 827SQ compared to desktop setups, I'd be surprised if the Mojo was able to offer something better. At worst I'd bet they are close in sound. Still though, until someone can write up a direct comparison no one knows.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,795 of 2,100
Over the last few months I've tested 42 different Op Amps in order to find one that makes the XD-05+ sound just as good as a high quality desktop amp. In short, I failed. The chip that sounds closest to my desktop reference is probably about 90% there. 90% is certainly close, but I really was hoping for perfection. Having tried almost all of the reputable chips, I would bet the remaining 10% is probably some other part of the Amplifier that would need to be upgraded (capacitors, or some other part of the design).

Below is some info on the chips, all of which is entirely subjective and mainly applies to the XD-05+. This is likely also relevant to the regular XD-05 (for dual chips), but I've got no way to confirm that. My main focus was to find a sound that is faithful to the original intent, and as close as possible to what a desktop amp would provide. That said, some chips are just technically better than others even if they aren't truly neutral, so trying to rank them gets complicated.

The Winner:

AD827SQ : Tonally perfect, with a semi 3D sound stage and great details. With this chip the only thing holding the Amp back is a little more separation and refined clarity on every note. It's close, but a desktop amp will still sound better in a subtle but noticeable way.

Notable Runner Ups:

AD829SQ: Just like the AD827SQ, but a little thinner. May be preferable if your headphones are a little thick by default.

AD827AQ: Similar to the 827SQ, but without the 3D stage, softer details, and an extended treble. Costing less than half of the SQ, this is a great choice if you don't feel like spending for the SQ, and don't mind a treble that extends all the way without being sibilant.

AD829AQ: Just like the AD827SQ, but with a little less of everything (stage, details, separation, etc...)

Muses02: Slightly higher than neutral which leads to a much 'clearer' sound compared to the 827SQ. Very good separation and stage, but the downside of this chip is that it is brighter and thinner than it should be. May be a good choice if you have dark or thick sounding headphones.

Muses03: Brilliant stage and details, marred by a much lower than neutral tone. This probably has the best stage and separation of all the chips. The treble is very rolled off, leading to a much lower than expected tone. May be a great choice for those that have overly bright headphones, or those that are very treble sensitive. Those looking for neutral should look elsewhere though.

Burson V5i: The thread favorite. Going by majority consensus this is the chip to get. As far as technical performance goes, it is excellent. Great stage width, depth, and details. What keeps this from being my #1 or #2 is the much darker than neutral tone, and a subtly loose bass response. It's not as tonally low as the Muses03, but it's close. Every note is a bit off which is fine for most music, but with electronic music it's very noticable.

Other Chips worth mentioning:

OPA627: Renowned in many DIY forums for many different setups, but it just doesn't work that well in the XD-05. Produces a good sound, but overall flat and boring.

Muses01: Way north of neutral in tone. All notes are brighter than they should be. The only nice thing about this chip is how clear everything is, but that is just due to how thin the mids are.

Muses8920: Of the Muses this one is closest to neutral. Less bright than the Muses02, but just a hint north of neutral and a bit thin. It has better stage and separation than most regular chips, but lacks refinement compared to Muses02 and Muses03. May shine with the right headphone setup, and also costs significantly less than the rest of the Muses line.

OPA1612 (Stock): Similar to OPA627, this is also renowned in DIY forums. It seems like a technically capable chip, but something about it isn't right in the XD-05. Puts out a dark, muffled, and mostly flat sound in this application.

Here's the rest of the breakdown. This is not ordered in a true ranking. I've got details on all the chips, but it would take too long to truly rank them. I doubt anyone cares which one is #37 as opposed to #38 (I certainly don't), so they are just categorized more in generalized groups:

Op AmpSingle/DualRank
AD827SQDual1- Best
AD829SQSingle2 - Excellent
AD829AQSingle2 - Excellent
Muses02Dual2 - Excellent
Muses03Single2 - Excellent
AD827AQDual2 - Excellent
AD822Dual2 - Excellent
AD828Dual2 - Excellent
Burson V5iDual2 - Excellent
AD811Single3 - Great
AD844AQSingle3 - Great
LT1122Single3 - Great
Muses8920Dual3 - Great
NJM2114Dual3 - Great
OP275Dual3 - Great
OPA2134Dual3 - Great
OPA2227Dual3 - Great
OPA2228Dual3 - Great
OPA2277Dual3 - Great
RC4558Dual3 - Great
AD797Single3 - Great
AD711Single4 - Good
Muses01Dual4 - Good
OPA604Single4 - Good
OPA627Single4 - Good
AD712Dual5 - Mediocre
LF353Dual5 - Mediocre
LM4562Dual5 - Mediocre
LM833Dual5 - Mediocre
LME49720Dual5 - Mediocre
NE5532Dual5 - Mediocre
NJM4560Dual5 - Mediocre
OPA2132Dual5 - Mediocre
TL0171Single5 - Mediocre
TLO52Dual5 - Mediocre
OPA1612 (Stock)Dual5 - Mediocre
AD823Dual6 - Bad
AD826Dual6 - Bad
NE5534Single6 - Bad
NJM2068Dual6 - Bad
NJM4558Dual6 - Bad
OPA134Single6 - Bad
Bought the last 5 AD827SQ from Mouser based on this. Damn.....

Thanks for the comparison btw, immensely helpful and very accurate based on the ones I have heard

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,797 of 2,100
Their official facebook page said it will be coming out "soon". That was close to 40 days ago, with no other announcements that I can find. Hopefully it will be out before the end of the year.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #1,798 of 2,100
Over the last few months I've tested 42 different Op Amps in order to find one that makes the XD-05+ sound just as good as a high quality desktop amp. In short, I failed. The chip that sounds closest to my desktop reference is probably about 90% there. 90% is certainly close, but I really was hoping for perfection. Having tried almost all of the reputable chips, I would bet the remaining 10% is probably some other part of the Amplifier that would need to be upgraded (capacitors, or some other part of the design).

Below is some info on the chips, all of which is entirely subjective and mainly applies to the XD-05+. This is likely also relevant to the regular XD-05 (for dual chips), but I've got no way to confirm that. My main focus was to find a sound that is faithful to the original intent, and as close as possible to what a desktop amp would provide. That said, some chips are just technically better than others even if they aren't truly neutral, so trying to rank them gets complicated.

The Winner:

AD827SQ : Tonally perfect, with a semi 3D sound stage and great details. With this chip the only thing holding the Amp back is a little more separation and refined clarity on every note. It's close, but a desktop amp will still sound better in a subtle but noticeable way.

Notable Runner Ups:

AD829SQ: Just like the AD827SQ, but a little thinner. May be preferable if your headphones are a little thick by default.

AD827AQ: Similar to the 827SQ, but without the 3D stage, softer details, and an extended treble. Costing less than half of the SQ, this is a great choice if you don't feel like spending for the SQ, and don't mind a treble that extends all the way without being sibilant.

AD829AQ: Just like the AD827SQ, but with a little less of everything (stage, details, separation, etc...)

Muses02: Slightly higher than neutral which leads to a much 'clearer' sound compared to the 827SQ. Very good separation and stage, but the downside of this chip is that it is brighter and thinner than it should be. May be a good choice if you have dark or thick sounding headphones.

Muses03: Brilliant stage and details, marred by a much lower than neutral tone. This probably has the best stage and separation of all the chips. The treble is very rolled off, leading to a much lower than expected tone. May be a great choice for those that have overly bright headphones, or those that are very treble sensitive. Those looking for neutral should look elsewhere though.

Burson V5i: The thread favorite. Going by majority consensus this is the chip to get. As far as technical performance goes, it is excellent. Great stage width, depth, and details. What keeps this from being my #1 or #2 is the much darker than neutral tone, and a subtly loose bass response. It's not as tonally low as the Muses03, but it's close. Every note is a bit off which is fine for most music, but with electronic music it's very noticable.

Other Chips worth mentioning:

OPA627: Renowned in many DIY forums for many different setups, but it just doesn't work that well in the XD-05. Produces a good sound, but overall flat and boring.

Muses01: Way north of neutral in tone. All notes are brighter than they should be. The only nice thing about this chip is how clear everything is, but that is just due to how thin the mids are.

Muses8920: Of the Muses this one is closest to neutral. Less bright than the Muses02, but just a hint north of neutral and a bit thin. It has better stage and separation than most regular chips, but lacks refinement compared to Muses02 and Muses03. May shine with the right headphone setup, and also costs significantly less than the rest of the Muses line.

OPA1612 (Stock): Similar to OPA627, this is also renowned in DIY forums. It seems like a technically capable chip, but something about it isn't right in the XD-05. Puts out a dark, muffled, and mostly flat sound in this application.

Here's the rest of the breakdown. This is not ordered in a true ranking. I've got details on all the chips, but it would take too long to truly rank them. I doubt anyone cares which one is #37 as opposed to #38 (I certainly don't), so they are just categorized more in generalized groups:

Op AmpSingle/DualRank
AD827SQDual1- Best
AD829SQSingle2 - Excellent
AD829AQSingle2 - Excellent
Muses02Dual2 - Excellent
Muses03Single2 - Excellent
AD827AQDual2 - Excellent
AD822Dual2 - Excellent
AD828Dual2 - Excellent
Burson V5iDual2 - Excellent
AD811Single3 - Great
AD844AQSingle3 - Great
LT1122Single3 - Great
Muses8920Dual3 - Great
NJM2114Dual3 - Great
OP275Dual3 - Great
OPA2134Dual3 - Great
OPA2227Dual3 - Great
OPA2228Dual3 - Great
OPA2277Dual3 - Great
RC4558Dual3 - Great
AD797Single3 - Great
AD711Single4 - Good
Muses01Dual4 - Good
OPA604Single4 - Good
OPA627Single4 - Good
AD712Dual5 - Mediocre
LF353Dual5 - Mediocre
LM4562Dual5 - Mediocre
LM833Dual5 - Mediocre
LME49720Dual5 - Mediocre
NE5532Dual5 - Mediocre
NJM4560Dual5 - Mediocre
OPA2132Dual5 - Mediocre
TL0171Single5 - Mediocre
TLO52Dual5 - Mediocre
OPA1612 (Stock)Dual5 - Mediocre
AD823Dual6 - Bad
AD826Dual6 - Bad
NE5534Single6 - Bad
NJM2068Dual6 - Bad
NJM4558Dual6 - Bad
OPA134Single6 - Bad
Hey, I'm looking to begin my op amp rolling journey, really excited as this is my first amp and thus first foray into hifi after lurking around for quite a while. Currently I'm strapped on a bit of a budget and am looking into starting off with cheaper op amps first. Noticed that the ad822 and ad828 that you ranked excellent is quite a bit cheaper than the aq and sq models of AD. Very curious on your details on them as you didn't mention them in your runner ups summary even though they were ranked in the same excellent grouping as others mentioned so they must be doing some things right. Could you also mention the specific models of those two op amps so I don't accidentally buy the wrong ones (based on a bit of google research, I'm guessing they're the ad822anz and ad828anz?). Also, the price of these two op amps is the same as one ad827aq. In your opinion is it better to just buy the ad827aq? Sorry in advance for the questions.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,799 of 2,100
Noticed that the ad822 and ad828 that you ranked excellent is quite a bit cheaper than the aq and sq models of AD. Very curious on your details on them as you didn't mention them in your runner ups summary even though they were ranked in the same excellent grouping as others mentioned so they must be doing some things right. Could you also mention the specific models of those two op amps so I don't accidentally buy the wrong ones (based on a bit of google research, I'm guessing they're the ad822anz and ad828anz?). Also, the price of these two op amps is the same as one ad827aq. In your opinion is it better to just buy the ad827aq?
Happy to help-

AD822ANZ - The 822 is a really good 'normal' chip in the XD-05, as in it doesn't have the deeply layered 3D capabilities of the SQ's, Burson, or Muses02/03's, but it is top tier compared to the other chips I reviewed. Not to say it's worse than the Muses though-- It's got a neutral tone with excellent details, stage height, bass, and ambience. Critical listening is satisfying as everything is represented. It's downsides are that it is slightly on the softer side (not crystal clear on every note), and due to the lack of the 3D stage it can be a bit boring unless if the music is mastered well. It can't beat the 827SQ or the technical capabilities of some of the more expensive chips, but It is excellent for the price as long as you don't mind a moderate amount of softness in the sound that takes away a little bit of clarity.

AD828ANZ - Similar to the 822 with a clearer sound (not soft), less sound stage width & depth, and less separation while still remaining neutral in tone. It's a bit of a trade off gaining clearer definition at the expense of stage and layering. I prefer the 822 or 827AQ due to those trade-offs, but it is still a really good chip otherwise.

AD827AQ - Also similar to the 822, with the main difference being moderately sharper and clearer. This leads to a thinner sound. In some ways this improves the sound as you get more clarity in every note, but due to being thinner it loses some ambience or feeling in the music that the 822 provides.

From the 3 above I'd recommend either the 822 or the 827AQ depending on your headphones and preferences. If you've got warm headphones, and you aren't treble sensitive, then the 827 will probably sound best. For thin or neutral headphones the 822 will likely be a better choice.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,800 of 2,100
@Dramlin

AD827SQ has a better tone vs the MUSES03 and is faster. MUSES03 sounds a bit dark and slow. That said I miss the expansive soundstage and great separation on the MUSES03 on the AD827SQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back