XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Mar 21, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #2,402 of 5,194
i had a quick look at the user guide for the Sansa rockbox build and it looks like there's a way to play music while charging.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFAQ

How do I get my RockBox SanDisk to play while being charged?

Hold down the centre button while you connect the USB-cable. The center button does work for entering charging mode on your player, but only if the player is already powered on and booted into Rockbox. If you attempt this with the player turned off, it will boot into the OF.
Actually, any button works but centre button is still the common advice though, since it doesn't have nasty side effects.

seems to work for me. 'center button' is play/pause not menu for X3.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #2,403 of 5,194
by the way, if anyone is experiencing songs skipping to the next track on rockbox, please get in touch via PM or the topic. (for x3 or clip+) (best validate they decode properly using dbpoweramp or flac https://xiph.org/flac/download.html
e.g.

Code:
C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\root>flac -t ".\player\01 - Fight Like a Girl.flac"

flac 1.3.1, Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Josh Coalson, 2011-2014 Xiph.Org Foundation
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

01 - Fight Like a Girl.flac: ok

also confirm you did chkdsk on the card and what type and size of card it is/free space left.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #2,404 of 5,194
  Wish I could help but my approach is basically to turn everything on both of my 128Gb cards into one humongeous playlist and play in shuffle mode from it.  (Again several pages back svyr and I had a discussion about how I could do that.)  I'm not using the database.  That said what I have has been ripped from CDs with EAC and digitized from vinyl/tape with VinylStudio so my music folders (one for each album) do indeed have tags and album art.  Just not using them.

Why you might ask?  I have an eclectic music collection with classic and modern jazz, old and new blues, rock 'n roll from '50s to today's rock and pop, ambient, electronic, even a little bit of classical, and a few country, etc.   I simply love the diversity and by playing random shuffle I'm always getting a fresh and different type/style of music to hear.  And yes on occasion I may want to play just one album and can easily.  My desktop computer's foobar2000 is setup the same way
biggrin.gif

I see I see. But personally though, I prefer to sort my music by genres. 

Sometimes, I just feel "off", one minute I am listening to smooth vocal jazz, the next minute it's rock n roll baby! That somehow, throws me off.....by a lot.

So that is why I prefer to sort my music by genres.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,406 of 5,194
I see I see. But personally though, I prefer to sort my music by genres. 

Sometimes, I just feel "off", one minute I am listening to smooth vocal jazz, the next minute it's rock n roll baby! That somehow, throws me off.....by a lot.

So that is why I prefer to sort my music by genres.

what's the problem there? initialize the database, update it (from settings, general, database) , and then browse it (from main menu -> database (instead of files)). That supports browsing by all tag fields . at least common ones (artist, genre, album, etc)
and searching those fields (unfortunately you need to search by field not in all fields, but meh)

it's a bit more code behind it (as in less stable) and unless your library is tagged properly you'll have ocd issues but eh.
also there's a boot (startup ) penalty 'commiting to database' ... for about 30s -1m which makes me want to throw it at the wall (but only if you chose to track playback stats....optional and off by default. Those are things like - most played etc that you can use as well, under database history. Nice but for me not worth the startup penalty.)

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #2,407 of 5,194
btw there are a few features that might not be reflected in the docs. e.g. new DSP effects

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges
DONE 2015-01-19: New DSP effects: perceptual base enhancement, fatigue reduction and Haas effect surround sound

^ they're the new menu options under Sound settings... fairly self explanatory ones.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,408 of 5,194
what's the problem there? initialize the database, update it (from settings, general, database) , and then browse it (from main menu -> database (instead of files)). That supports browsing by all tag fields . at least common ones (artist, genre, album, etc)
and searching those fields (unfortunately you need to search by field not in all fields, but meh)

it's a bit more code behind it (as in less stable) and unless your library is tagged properly you'll have ocd issues but eh.
also there's a boot (startup ) penalty 'commiting to database' ... for about 30s -1m which makes me want to throw it at the wall (but only if you chose to track playback stats....optional and off by default. Those are things like - most played etc that you can use as well, under database history. Nice but for me not worth the startup penalty.)

Yes, I understand how to initialize, at least I think I do.

My only concern is how does one properly tag a song in order for RB to recognize it during database initialization? 

For example, if I have a song which has more that one genre

I.E. GameBGM and Jazz

How would I tag the file, in order for RB to recognize that the song has a tag of 2 genres?

Thank-you 

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #2,409 of 5,194
Yes, I understand how to initialize, at least I think I do.

My only concern is how does one properly tag a song in order for RB to recognize it during database initialization? 

For example, if I have a song which has more that one genre

I.E. GameBGM and Jazz

How would I tag the file, in order for RB to recognize that the song has a tag of 2 genres?

Thank-you 

note sure. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html this and test/report back :)? either there's a canonical way of specifying multiple genres or not do a bit of googling please i don't use enough tags or db features to help

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #2,410 of 5,194
note sure. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html this and test/report back
smily_headphones1.gif
? either there's a canonical way of specifying multiple genres or not do a bit of googling please i don't use enough tags or db features to help

Yup, MP3 Tag is a Godsend, I've been using it since I got the X3. You've mentioned in your previous post that there will be a 30sec delay if I initialize database, if I were to get tired of such waiting, can I undo such effect?

Thank-you

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #2,411 of 5,194
Yup, MP3 Tag is a Godsend, I've been using it since I got the X3. You've mentioned in your previous post that there will be a 30sec delay if I initialize database, if I were to get tired of such waiting, can I undo such effect?

Thank-you

i've updated the post the wait is when you turn on played song tracking aka playback history or playback stats( separate db option , off by default. kinda nice but maybe not great if you frequently turn the player on and off)

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2,412 of 5,194
btw there are a few features that might not be reflected in the docs. e.g. new DSP effects

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges
DONE 2015-01-19: New DSP effects: perceptual base enhancement, fatigue reduction and Haas effect surround sound

^ they're the new menu options under Sound settings... fairly self explanatory ones.

I've been playing with combining the Crossfeed and Haas.  Currently I'm running the Crossfeed Meier option and Hass at 5ms with the remaining options at default.  The later gleaned from  http://www.head-fi.org/t/754596/new-rockbox-sound-settings.  No equilizer usage here.  I may kill the Haas as it does seem to take an "edge" off at times in return for the slight surround effect at the setting I'm using.

With foobar2000 I much prefer foo_dsp_xfeed to either foo_dsp_meierxf or foo_dsp_bs2b which I posted about here http://www.head-fi.org/t/202365/best-crossfeed-plugin-for-foobar/62#post_12151822 .   The author of my preferred plugin says "Compared to simple crossfeed effects, this implementation does not only crossfeed bass and lower mids but all frequencies up to Fs/2.  By configuring crossfeed levels for both low and high frequencies, this DSP can be set up to mimic the acoustic shadow of your own head."  The Custom settings for Crossfeed in Rockbox offer some flexible tailoring too but I've yet to find a combination that I like.  So I use the extremely mild, and at times unnoticeable to my ears, Meier option for the time being. 

As time goes by I'd be very interested in what custom crossfeed settings other xDuoo X3 users like
biggrin.gif

...and as an aside if anyone is interested, I settled on LSE1 for my theme now that update #2 has the clock setting enabled.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,413 of 5,194
@AudioNewbi3 - you can certainly change the font to display chinese characters, but I prefer just to change the theme, since themes not designed for the "asian" fonts may chop off bits/look untidy. Have a look through the themes section for the ones which specifically say support chinese. The page was  linked somewhere earlier in the thread (or find it on rockbox website). My own favourite theme for this is "Theme4Chinese2", used without the icons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back