XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Feb 16, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,696 of 5,194
  Good and bad news.
Good news, I've got an e-mail from Tony this morning, as a fairly quickly reply to my bugs report.
Bad news, here what he says: "Sorry that we don't have a solution for the pitch problem for now."

Since this issue continues to be the "make or break" contentious problem, is it possible for Tony@xDuoo to at least indicate the cause, specifically confirm or deny this which makes a great deal of sense to me:

Originally Posted by turen009 

As an ITS engineer, I can provide some input. The oscillator ("clock", if you prefer) has to be set to the players lowest possible native resolution. This is in fact 44.1 kHz for xDuoo x3 design. However, contrary to what some is saying in this thread, the oscillator is not the problem itself. There is still a set 44.1 kHz native device in the circuit. It is just that (imo) the designer, when designing the circuit, somehow tweaked it in such a way that the native 44.1 kHz files will decode at a slightly slower rate, resulting in the sluggishness that someone notices. I do not think it is fixable in the software end.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,698 of 5,194
Reading about this pitch issue after just receiving my x3 today is bothersome. I wonder if I should return for something else, I feel like I'll be looking for a problem every time I use the x3 now...sigh 1st world probs

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,699 of 5,194
My x3 arrived today, together with my x2. Here are my initial thoughts on the x3:

I also have this strange rattle as something was loose inside.

80% of my music is fast-paced or acoustic so to me the pitch problem has been really annoying.

Using all songs menu and choosing play mode "random", x3 really love to come back and play a song that has already been played instead of searching for a song that hasn't been played yet.

It's sound is really, reaaaaally smoth and sometimes lacks a little more energy to remain engaging to me (that's extremely subjective of course and reflects my own preferences).

Seems very sturdy.

More impressions after some more time.

It seems that the pitch error is very user dependent in how much it varies in annoyance. Really it's a major flaw, any reputable company would issue a recall and fix (if it is something that cannot be addressed firmware wise). This very action could ruin Xduoo as they appear to be a pretty fragile and infant company (ie not strongly established to take the recall hit).

I absolutely hate that the random shuffle feature of some DAPs SUCK! Why is it so hard to make a good shuffle? I too have experienced weird behaviour such as returning to a particular song once every 3-4 tracks :xf_mad:
There's certainly more to shuffle than meets the eye. There should even be (commonly) a few different types of shuffling such as a shuffle all option but never replays a played track during that shuffling session vs a very complex shuffle algorythm that in theory could play the same track 3x in a row albeit rare.

I'd be really interested to how you compare the sound of the X2 vs the X3 as tbh the size factor of the X2 is more attractive to me. If you could report back how the X2 shuffles also that would be appreciated.

Thanks mate. Instead , I have used this:
 and tried converting a 16bit 44.1khz wav file to 16bit 96khz.

The results, 54.8mb=>111.40mb per track.I have yet to listen to the track yet, but from the size of the converted audio file, I have come to the conclusion that converting evry song in my X3 into 96 khz, is just waaaaaaaay to troublesome and space cost is also quite high.

It really is a bummer that the pitch can't be fixed though.

Couldn't you convert to 48khz? doesn't the problem go away at that level? It should be a smaller file size?

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,700 of 5,194

It seems that the pitch error is very user dependent in how much it varies in annoyance. Really it's a major flaw, any reputable company would issue a recall and fix (if it is something that cannot be addressed firmware wise). This very action could ruin Xduoo as they appear to be a pretty fragile and infant company (ie not strongly established to take the recall hit).

I absolutely hate that the random shuffle feature of some DAPs SUCK! Why is it so hard to make a good shuffle? I too have experienced weird behaviour such as returning to a particular song once every 3-4 tracks :xf_mad:
There's certainly more to shuffle than meets the eye. There should even be (commonly) a few different types of shuffling such as a shuffle all option but never replays a played track during that shuffling session vs a very complex shuffle algorythm that in theory could play the same track 3x in a row albeit rare.

I'd be really interested to how you compare the sound of the X2 vs the X3 as tbh the size factor of the X2 is more attractive to me. If you could report back how the X2 shuffles also that would be appreciated.

Couldn't you convert to 48khz? doesn't the problem go away at that level? It should be a smaller file size?

If this was your only DAP would you return it for something else?

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,701 of 5,194
Reading about this pitch issue after just receiving my x3 today is bothersome. I wonder if I should return for something else, I feel like I'll be looking for a problem every time I use the x3 now...sigh 1st world probs

It has been discussed throughout this thread.  Many (most it would appear to me) either do not notice/perceive or are not bothered by the pitch issue.  But to those that have pitch sensitivity and those who, having been informed of the issue, become too conscious of it, are probably better served by another DAP.

Me?  I do hear the pitch problem on select songs, but not enough of them to skew my appreciation of all the things the player does well.  I think this quote says it best:

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,702 of 5,194

I think you're the first to express this unfortunate reality.  

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,703 of 5,194

If this was your only DAP would you return it for something else?

That's a good question, but I'm not sure what yer getting at. I have like a billion DAPs lol, and I earn ok enough to splash out on a new DAP here or there, I actually look at DAPs as a bit of a hobby and work expense seeing as I use them predominately at work.
Having said that, if I was really liking what I was hearing, and considering the price, I would persevere with the X3 whilst trying to iron out the annoyances. I say this because I have owned many DAPs that have had short comings in one way or another, spending a little time troubleshooting can be worth it, I guess it all depends on the richness of the user and what he/she can afford.

For example, I noticed the X3 doesn't appear to support playlists/m3u files, however does support .cue files. I have already looked a little into this area to determine it might be possible to convert my m3u files into cue files and thus gain some kind of playlist support for the X3. I tend to do quite a lot of homework before buying a DAP. I even came up with a homemade 'shuffler' program for the Alien Shozy (detailed in that thread) before I even bought the Alien.

I hope that answers your question :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,704 of 5,194
It's a great portable and once in a while I use it for the jukebox effect on my yamaha and it sounds awesome, music these days is so crazy that some flaws are not even apparent to the average consumer, audiophile is another world, but the average will enjoy and not pick up on those little details, it's a.portable I also use it for the gym and on the move, at least here in the big apple no time while moving to pay attention to minor details, and at home, honestly I love the player, and I have a few and getting some more, if I didn't like it for the price I would give it to my friends and family, that's what I did with all my old stuff, and in with the new, I will not give my xduoox3 away,lol

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #1,705 of 5,194
I am used to buying chinese products to save pounds. I own two Elephone P8000 mobile phones - the first batch (of which both mine are from) had no notification led however the company still shipped these out and offered a $10 coupon compensation on another Elephone phone purchase if you complained. Obviously doubtful many will buy a new Elephone with the pitiful $10 compensation offered.

The majority of us bought the X3 because we read it sounded great and was a good price and maybe because we wanted to dip our toes in the water and try a lossless player for the first time. If money was no object we would all probably have bought something else but money is tight my end.

If Xduoo do nothing to fix the issue and offer no compensation or trade in then it will come as no surprise. However the player is still in my opinion miles better than my old ipod classic / touch and lets me listen to music in a way that brings the tracks to life.

If Xduoo do offer a fix or compensation or trade in then no doubt there will still be people who will moan about the inconvenience etc.

I cannot see Xduoo recalling their product nor do I think it will kill them off if they do nothing other than release a MkII and leave us MkI owners high and dry.

I do think however given the fact that it has been Chinese New Year that expecting an immediate fix is a bit too much to ask. Let them settle back in after their holiday and see if a proper fix can be achieved. I would rather wait to see if a proper fix can be made than having a botched fix get released too soon. I am also aware that a fix may just not be possible and if this is the case we will have to wait to see if Xduoo offer something tangible for the early adopters. They can send me an X2 if they like :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,707 of 5,194

Excellent Work!

May i suggest to do a version without holes for Lock Button and MicroSDSlot?

It's not necessary to access so often to MicroSD and with the case on buttons are enough recessed and you can keep the player unlocked.

If i can suggest something different, have you thought to a closed version with an open top?  In this way you can have a closed case and the XDuoo X3 can slide inside the case from the top...

P.S.: i wish to specify that i really like your work with the case and i'm suggesting this just because you asked for advices!

thank you for your comments and ideas.

Version without lock and microSD slots is not a problem to design, but I don't understand why having those holes would be downside.

I can another version with open top, but I dont understand how it could be better than my first version as I prefere to protect the main face than the back, and let the air cool the back as it become sometimes hot when listening music during charging.

By the way, my printer is now out of order as I have to change its power supplies, I wouldn't be able to make other prototypes before weeks...

To date 12 people have downloaded my 3D file, I will like someone to tell me if it works with other materials as rubber

(the link to the case : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1331641)

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,710 of 5,194
  I am used to buying chinese products to save pounds. I own two Elephone P8000 mobile phones - the first batch (of which both mine are from) had no notification led however the company still shipped these out and offered a $10 coupon compensation on another Elephone phone purchase if you complained. Obviously doubtful many will buy a new Elephone with the pitiful $10 compensation offered.

The majority of us bought the X3 because we read it sounded great and was a good price and maybe because we wanted to dip our toes in the water and try a lossless player for the first time. If money was no object we would all probably have bought something else but money is tight my end.

If Xduoo do nothing to fix the issue and offer no compensation or trade in then it will come as no surprise. However the player is still in my opinion miles better than my old ipod classic / touch and lets me listen to music in a way that brings the tracks to life.

If Xduoo do offer a fix or compensation or trade in then no doubt there will still be people who will moan about the inconvenience etc.

I cannot see Xduoo recalling their product nor do I think it will kill them off if they do nothing other than release a MkII and leave us MkI owners high and dry.

I do think however given the fact that it has been Chinese New Year that expecting an immediate fix is a bit too much to ask. Let them settle back in after their holiday and see if a proper fix can be achieved. I would rather wait to see if a proper fix can be made than having a botched fix get released too soon. I am also aware that a fix may just not be possible and if this is the case we will have to wait to see if Xduoo offer something tangible for the early adopters. They can send me an X2 if they like :)

While i see that a small company like xDuoo probably can't afford a recall (and really there is no way to fix it through software), i guess that the best case scenario here to avoid a huge wave of bad image to them would just make a v2 correcting the issue and do like Fiio did when introduced the X3II offering the owners of the original Fiio X3 to have the new one at discount based on the serial number. And if i could guess, this would also end up like a good marketing since i'ts a lot easier to recommend to a friend a company with good support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back