XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Feb 3, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,441 of 5,194
  Hi,
I have an issue with the X3 which I want to submit to you, asking you also experience it.
When playing the album Equinoxe from Jean Michel Jarre (24bit/96k) there are obvious dips/drop-outs in the sound (on average 5 minutes apart).
t's not in the recording, since when I rewind a bit and play the same part again, it's not there anymore.
When I play Björk's album Vulnicura, or Daft Punks RandomAccessMemory, not a single drop out is heard. Same bitrate (24bit/96k).

The albums are all on the same microSDcard, brand 'Integral 32GB UltimaPro Micro SDHC 40MB/s Class 10'.
Formatted in FAT32.

Anyone a clue?

Although I don't own a X3 I have had weird issues with same file formats doing diff stuff on different DAPs. For example, when I was using my Hippo Biscuit+ and Alien Shozy, I was using FLAC files, the FLAC played fine on the Shozy but resulted in a high pitched buzz of static audible for around 1-2 seconds at the completion of every track on the Hippo. This prompted me to look into matters further and I discovered that different software responsible for the FLAC rips do different stuff to the files, ie not all FLACs are made the same. Using different software I was able to convert the FLAC to FLAC again and resolve the issue.

If this is just a problem you're hearing on one album only, and only on the X3, then I am guessing there is something about the way that album was made that the X3 doesn't like too much. My advice would be to try and convert it again with different software (even if it's to the same bitrate etc). Nowadays I tend to think of .flac and .mp3 files as 'containers', much the save as '.mkv' files, I don't know if this is completely flawed thinking, but re-encoding fixed my issues anyway. Just because you can see on the surface that they are the same file types/bit rates etc as other files, yet this set of files produces weird artifacts and other's don't, doesn't mean the files are completely identicle to the rest.

The only thing stopping me from buying an x3 is its UI . Too basic ........

If rockbox were introduced to this baby ....... no brainer for me.

Ahh.. but the basic UI is what attracts me to it. No id3tags, no hideous refresh database times that other high storage DAPs suffer from. Features on the other hand... I would have liked to have seen EQ, Song Rating/Favourites and Tagged Lyric displayed. I'm all for that chrome LED basic text only display, I just would have liked larger display to support lyrics.

Many probably feel this way, although battery life may also be an issue for some. We might eventually see Rockbox for the Xduoo X3. It will take some time though. 
I keep hoping for Rockbox for the Fiio X1, which has sold many more players than the Xduoo X3. There needs to be a large number of the players out there to 
get enough Rockbox developers interested in the project. The hardware also needs to be Robust enough to support it. I wonder if Rockbox will consider making
a Rockbox Light version for those players not capable enough to support the full Rockbox.

Rockbox Lite! Now there's a thought!

I SERIOUSLY doubt that the ingenic chips in the FiiO and xduoo are any less capable than the chips in the sansa fuze ,clip , etc.

And i dont understand how u define robust (sry) , please clarify .

And will the SQ scale accordingly with the HW on the device? As in will rockbox be able to fully utilise the DACs/opamps on the device.

My understanding of how RB was made available to other DAPs quickly was to do with the chip type (SOC?) and how easily it could be ported across etc. The Clip Sport and Jam having different innards (and less memory and capability) meant that RB was dead on these devices, it never even got off the floor. I think the popular RB chip type (that meant easily ported) is no longer being used by DAP companies which explains why no new RB ports to other DAPs exist. I mean, getting RB on the Clip Zip, Fuze+ etc happened almost immediately. If it hasn't happened fairly quickly I am not holding my breath.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,442 of 5,194
What kind of memory Bob? I'm running pny becuase the 128s were on a sale at $35 each. Could be I'm running slower memory.

SiliconPower Elite 128Gb Class 10 UHS-1 Micro SDXC card (Up to 75 MB/s Read Speed)             
Samsung 64Gb EVO Class 10 USH-1 Micro SDXC SD card (Up to 48 MB/s Read Speed)                  

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,443 of 5,194
  If this is just a problem you're hearing on one album only, and only on the X3, then I am guessing there is something about the way that album was made that the X3 doesn't like too much. My advice would be to try and convert it again with different software (even if it's to the same bitrate etc). Nowadays I tend to think of .flac and .mp3 files as 'containers', much the save as '.mkv' files, I don't know if this is completely flawed thinking, but re-encoding fixed my issues anyway. Just because you can see on the surface that they are the same file types/bit rates etc as other files, yet this set of files produces weird artifacts and other's don't, doesn't mean the files are completely identicle to the rest.

I've actually found the something similar happen to me on an aac file - everything else from the album played fine, but on one song the playback stopped halfway through and I'd get a high-pitched buzz if I tried to fast-forward. The song would play fine on my PC, and re-encoding it fixed the problem on the X3. So this isn't an issue with the speed of the card. A card that couldn't handle reading @ 256kbps would be dead and even 24/96 FLAC is under 3Mbps, which doesn't need anything special in terms of card speed. You're right that this is probably some problem with the way the data was packaged.

My understanding of how RB was made available to other DAPs quickly was to do with the chip type (SOC?) and how easily it could be ported across etc. The Clip Sport and Jam having different innards (and less memory and capability) meant that RB was dead on these devices, it never even got off the floor. I think the popular RB chip type (that meant easily ported) is no longer being used by DAP companies which explains why no new RB ports to other DAPs exist. I mean, getting RB on the Clip Zip, Fuze+ etc happened almost immediately. If it hasn't happened fairly quickly I am not holding my breath.

Both the X3 and Fiio X1 use the same CPU, so I expect when/if one of those gets a Rockbox port the other will follow fairly quickly.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #1,444 of 5,194
When not enough ram was mentioned, immediately thought of Windows readyboost ......................

but that required a fully empty msd/sd/pendrive to use so scratch that.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,445 of 5,194
I found two other problems on the X3:

- The player has crossed the first second of each song (whatever flac ou mp3). -> this have to be fixed.

- After creating a directory called "NSFW" (! Haha, it's not what you think) and put music on it, the player could not see the contents of that directory. He says that the folder is empty.
When creating a new folder called "Music 2" and by copying songs from NSFW, the player can view the list.
Maybe we can not create the folder names to uppercase.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,446 of 5,194
Mine came today. Gonna post some pictures and impressions when I get home.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,447 of 5,194
Quick impressions for X3 paired with FLC8S (and comparisons with iPhone 4 - I know, crappy...) 

Separation is better with the X3 than the iPhone. Seems pretty flat overall - perhaps slightly recessed mids, but nothing much. Complements the FLC8S well - will try line-out to O2 later. Compared to the FLC8S+my desktop setup (Macbook --> O2 combo) there seems to be slightly less details and a bit smoother. Pretty happy for now, will give it more time later. 

The pitch error (for me at least - take it with a grain of salt) is pretty evident in some songs because of my perfect pitch and familiarity with the songs - it does seem slightly slower, especially in fast paced songs where it's obvious. I can live with it though - although I do wish they would correct it ASAP.

More impressions later. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,448 of 5,194
I just ordered the flc8s, the top dog review masters are saying they are stronger in bass and in quality compared to 846, it surpass the lz a2, someone was gonna sell me one and they told me if I'm getting the flc8s, I'm not missing anything and to stick to the removable cable earbuds, they will last forever, another nice earbuds they say is the im70, with removable cable and beautiful lows, jmills confirmed the lows, and the rest of spectrum is also great, now someone else also recomend ed the im50 foe the collection, instead of the shure 215 blue special edition, their is a rumor were the diy 846 sounds very good for the price, it's a different signature, but also removable cable with 4 drivers, 3 armatures 1 dynamic,the person who recommended was a.straight up individual

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,449 of 5,194
Quick impressions for X3 paired with FLC8S (and comparisons with iPhone 4 - I know, crappy...) 

Separation is better with the X3 than the iPhone. Seems pretty flat overall - perhaps slightly recessed mids, but nothing much. Complements the FLC8S well - will try line-out to O2 later. Compared to the FLC8S+my desktop setup (Macbook --> O2 combo) there seems to be slightly less details and a bit smoother. Pretty happy for now, will give it more time later. 

The pitch error (for me at least - take it with a grain of salt) is pretty evident in some songs because of my perfect pitch and familiarity with the songs - it does seem slightly slower, especially in fast paced songs where it's obvious. I can live with it though - although I do wish they would correct it ASAP.

More impressions later. 

Thanks for your first impression, help me alot.
i'l happy to know about the bass

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,450 of 5,194
Please let me know what you compare the flc8s to and what are the strengths, I heard no sibilance and the lows are pretty powerful and viceroy is that true, it benefits from dac amp like andes, doesn't need nothing outrageous, since ohms are pretty low

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,452 of 5,194

Great so far! Well to be honest the pitch error is audible on some tracks but nothing serious to worry about for me. It is about 1 second per 2:22 minutes.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,453 of 5,194

Great so far! Well to be honest the pitch error is audible on some tracks but nothing serious to worry about for me. It is about 1 second per 2:22 minutes.

The silver looks so nice! I bought the black version... Might put carbon fiber decals on them later just to make sure I don't scratch it. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,454 of 5,194
  It's nice pair, but X3 don't have enough power to properly drive Macaw. It's close, but yet still not enough.
You gonna have little lack of control on bass.

got the macaws, and you are right, not enough power with the x3 (with the +6dB gain). I am not getting the soundstage the macaws are hyped of. What amp do you recommend for the macaw + x3 pair? Also, what custom tips go well with the macaws?

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,455 of 5,194
Macaws don't have enormous soundstage, but well driven they have one of the best holography in earphones.
And what amp? Aune B1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back