xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #3,601 of 3,842
I dont think the Gryphon is hard to beat by a 1000+ daps.
For the last 2 weeks i was comparing the Gryphon with Fiio M15s and the Fiio beats the Gryphon in every department. Is more spacious, cleaner, more defined, better separated and even less forward in mids (which is surprising considering the fact that the Gryphon is rather laid back there).
It’s precisely these areas which improve significantly when the Gryphon is fed a high quality, low jitter, more precisely clocked s/pdif clocked source via the 100% galvanic isolation of Toslink. Agree this is more semi-portable than portable. The improvements are of the same character I’ve experienced with use of desktop DACs with DDCs and/or external master clocks.

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #3,602 of 3,842
Oh, It seems mostly you compared both in Dac/ amps and those impressions are as Dac/amps, right?
For the most part, yes. I compared both as a whole (DAC & Amp combined) but for a limited time, I also compared just their DAC sections paired to my Active Speakers & Zen CAN. I still liked the Signature in that scenario. It sounded fuller and a touch wider with a slightly dense but cleaner Bass (Gryphon is a tiny bit bloomy). Again a reminder, I only used the 3.5 Line-Out so maybe 4.4 is better. The Gryphon does not have a true Line-Out right? It's a Pre-Out so it makes sense that the Line-Out of Signature is better.

These days there are plenty of portable DAC/DAPs that are technically better than Gryphon. In my testing Mojo 2, Angel, Q7, H7... All of these are more technically capable with better resolution and clarity overall but they don't do a lot of things that the Gryphon can do and they are priced higher. I'm not saying that the Gryphon sounds bad, I bought one a second time so... But it's not the best sounding device, more of a versatile and nice AIO package.

It's interesting to hear about the DDC. I don't think i will need it for the Gryphon (I like the portability as is, would have stuck to Signature otherwise) but I'll consider giving it a try for my Desktop stuff.

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #3,603 of 3,842
For the most part, yes. I compared both as a whole (DAC & Amp combined) but for a limited time, I also compared just their DAC sections paired to my Active Speakers & Zen CAN. I still liked the Signature in that scenario. It sounded fuller and a touch wider with a slightly dense but cleaner Bass (Gryphon is a tiny bit bloomy). Again a reminder, I only used the 3.5 Line-Out so maybe 4.4 is better. The Gryphon does not have a true Line-Out right? It's a Pre-Out so it makes sense that the Line-Out of Signature is better.

These days there are plenty of portable DAC/DAPs that are technically better than Gryphon. In my testing Mojo 2, Angel, Q7, H7... All of these are more technically capable with better resolution and clarity overall but they don't do a lot of things that the Gryphon can do and they are priced higher. I'm not saying that the Gryphon sounds bad, I bought one a second time so... But it's not the best sounding device, more of a versatile and nice AIO package.

It's interesting to hear about the DDC. I don't think i will need it for the Gryphon (I like the portability as is, would have stuck to Signature otherwise) but I'll consider giving it a try for my Desktop stuff.
Thank you, I wonder if the purifier or DDC would solve complains about Gryphon bass.
When using ATH A1000z I like more the bass that my HRT gives, it seems cleaner than the gryphon , but with ad2000x gryphon sounded nice.
In fact we talked about this before.
I found more bloomy the amp section than the Dac section when we speak of the gryphon.
This was after I talked a little with you.
I added Asgard 3( warm amp) to gryphon and it increased bass quantity but at the same time refinement and quality got better so I suspected the amp section while maybe ok for portable was in part responsible for the "bloomy" bass, you can compensate it upgrading the dac section but who knows.
To this day I don't even know if it is synergy because I have not tried more combinations, for some reason the Gryphon goes very well with AD2000x/AD2000/AD1000x/AD900x+Soloist 3XP, I like more the bass it gives over other portable dacs I used.

But with A2000z and A1000z I seem to prefer the HRT dac+Purifier maybe because they seem clearer with cleaner bass?

With the Open line it does not seem that Gryphon lacks quality at all, in fact it is more musical and a better matchup/synergy with the Soloist.

Maybe it's just system synergy.

Gryphon DAC section already goes at least a little to the warm side, but I have been wanting a little more bass in one of my Soloist 3xp setup.

So I have been wondering if Bifrost 2 or the Idsd Signature would be a better "Desktop" warmer dac than the Gry.

But here also comes that how an upgraded Gryphon would compare against those 2.

You can upgrade Gryphon dac section using DDC or purifier but in fact I cannot get more bass quantity, I would also not like to lose treble quantity of the Gryphon dac section.

Xbass boost is too strong for me and I'm using some of the most bass light headphones in the market, lol.

I have something for Ifi audio, I hope they see it but I will not write it right now.

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #3,604 of 3,842
added Asgard 3( warm amp) to gryphon and it increased bass quantity but at the same time refinement and quality got better so I suspected the amp section while maybe ok for portable was in part responsible for the "bloomy" bass, you can compensate it upgrading the dac section but who knows.
Most of the portable DAC/Amps and DAPs (under 1,000 USD) I've tried (some 10+ devices) scaled really well with external Amps. It makes sense cause you are limited by power in a portable device. The boomy Bass isn't an issue for me, it's just something I noticed when comparision it against some other devices.

If iFi can somehow squeeze in an even better DAC then that would be awesome. Personally, at the moment I'd be more interested in the next micro iDSD device or a battery powered 1-bit DAC (like Cayin RU7 & N7)

Gryphon DAC section already goes at least a little to the warm side, but I have been wanting a little more bass in one of my Soloist 3xp setup.

So I have been wondering if Bifrost 2 or the Idsd Signature would be a better "Desktop" warmer dac than the Gry.

But here also comes that how an upgraded Gryphon would compare against those 2.
If this is for Desktop use, I would recommend you use a Desktop DAC instead of Signature or Gryphon. There is no way to bypass the internal battery on almost all battery powered portable devices so having to constantly use and charge the device would reduce the battery's lifespan a lot. I'm using the EF400 and it sounds awesome to me but I have read good things about the Bifrost 2 too. I remember reading about a new varient of BF2 that's even better.

Jul 3, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #3,606 of 3,842
Here is the change log for XMOS firmware 1.63

XMOS= V1.61 >>>V1.63
1. add synchronization volume on, prevent sudden change maximum volume mechanism (need to turn off Tidal's average volume switch) // Tidal (exclusive open) MQA playback volume sudden change maximum volume.
(Optimized: XDSD Gryphon synchronization volume greater than 90% volume allowed to adjust but will not go to the maximum volume, XDSD Gryphon synchronization volume less than 90, volume allowed to adjust synchronization.)
2. Optimize the Apple phone WeChat connected to the call after the volume is forced to the maximum sound. // normal volume ios system phone playing music, when the WeChat call is connected volume is forced to the maximum sound //

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #3,607 of 3,842
I got my 4.4mm to XLR cable and when using Gryphon BAL line out with Burson Soloist 3XP:
Sound is cleaner, more detailed and a little more Dynamic.

Can't know if this is due to Gryphon dac performing little better on Balanced line out or that the burson sounds better with Balanced inputs, or that the new cable is better than my amazon cable.

But it's definitely worth the try if you use the Gryphon as Dac.

For me it was like a 4% improvement, which is very good for audio.

I did not want to buy the 4.4mm to XLR from ifi because I thought it was too expensive given that when using other dacs you most likely will be using XLR to XLR, and my gryphon is my only dac/amp with 4.4mm out.

I got a Canare Japan cable, significantly cheaper.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #3,608 of 3,842
It's not just you, I commented earlier in the thread that I noticed a definite improvement when I swapped the SE cable with an identical but balanced cable on my Dusks, I was quite surprised at how noticeable it was.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #3,609 of 3,842
I've been enjoying my Gryphon for 6 months now, and I only just remembered to unlock the flying Gryphon - a small detail, but I'm enjoying it a little bit more now.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #3,611 of 3,842
Mind sharing how you did that? Cheers.
You might have to google, I think it was: turn it on, short press wheel button, short press XSpace/XBass, short press bluetooth, short press wheel button again - that should summon the Gryphon

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #3,612 of 3,842
Mind sharing how you did that? Cheers.
1691102988490.jpeg

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #3,613 of 3,842
Hi to all. what does the min phase filter option do?
When I follow the above sequence of pressing keys, I don't get the last option "5. Select Min" but instead a "flying" something goes across the screen from left to right. Repeating the sequence the same bird(?) goes from right to left...

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #3,614 of 3,842
Hi to all. what does the min phase filter option do?
When I follow the above sequence of pressing keys, I don't get the last option "5. Select Min" but instead a "flying" something goes across the screen from left to right. Repeating the sequence the same bird(?) goes from right to left...

The Minimum Phase Filter is a digital filter in the menu options. You may or may not hear any difference, I certainly don’t,

Doing steps 1 to 4 will activate the animation (it is a Gryphon - mythical creature) as well as add the filter to the menu.

Repeating steps 1 to 4 will reset back to normal removing the animation and the filter.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #3,615 of 3,842
The Minimum Phase Filter is a digital filter in the menu options. You may or may not hear any difference, I certainly don’t,

Doing steps 1 to 4 will activate the animation (it is a Gryphon - mythical creature) as well as add the filter to the menu.

Repeating steps 1 to 4 will reset back to normal removing the animation and the filter.
Depends which headphone you use, with very sensitive IEM you certainly can hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back