xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3,586 of 3,842
It's probably not a Gryphon fault.

Some 4.4 plugs on the market seem to be produced a slightly too long.

You need to put a small ~0,5mm plastic or rubber washer on your plug,
to make its insertion slightly shorter and the problem is gone.

thanks for the reply, but

Thanks for the advice, I can try that, but not happy with it as a permanent solution, as I have the same issue with 3 different cables and all 3 work perfect on my BTR7

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #3,587 of 3,842
You are seriously comparing a ‘only’ bluetooth device to a full featured device.

I have heared the best of the best bluetooth devices they all share the same ‘missing’ dynamics. The moment you listen to complex busy rock, jazz, blues recordings.

So the only conclusion I can make is, you are not using very resolving headphones or not using complex music.

Not even Ldac, it is coming close, is as good as direct usb connection. (And if you have a apple device it is even worse you only have AAC 256.

Thanks for the advice, I can try that, but not happy with it as a permanent solution, as I have the same issue with 3 different cables and all 3 work perfect on my BTR7

The same here, even cables from expensive brands can vary - PW, EA etc.

This is rather not a fault of Gryphon, looks more like a different production specs various cable manufacturers are using - some 4.4 plugs seems to be ~0,5-1mm too long to match perfectly the input socket joints inside.

Adding a simple thin washer cut from a rubber cable or plastic straw is just like a bolder plug enclosure - it stays in place and you will quickly forget about it.

The problem is because the plug goes too deep, it wan't pop out because of such thin washer.

ERUA Tawa 4.4 works great, also Forza (with Sony 4.4 plug).

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #3,588 of 3,842
The same here, even cables from expensive brands can vary - PW, EA etc.

This is rather not a fault of Gryphon, looks more like a different production specs various cable manufacturers are using - some 4.4 plugs seems to be ~0,5-1mm too long to match perfectly the input socket joints inside.

Adding a simple thin washer cut from a rubber cable or plastic straw is just like a bolder plug enclosure - it stays in place and you will quickly forget about it.

The problem is because the plug goes too deep, it wan't pop out because of such thin washer.

ERUA Tawa 4.4 works great, also Forza (with Sony 4.4 plug).
Fiio 4.4 and meze 4.4 cables also work perfect

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #3,589 of 3,842
If with the same cables problem is only occuring on this device then it's likely the tolerances of the female jack on the device itself are the issue.
Found specs of a 3.5mm jack (see pic attached) and the tolerance is +/-0.3mm on the total length, while sleeve's dimensions tolerances are within +/-0.2mm.
This is a random picture and it's possible good quality connectors are even better than this. The 4.4mm can't be much worse, probably having similar tolerances.

What is likely happening here is the following: the pin inside the female connector is touching on the very edge of the tip and you pulling the connector out
a tiny bit is enough to move the pin from the insulator area to the sleeve area.
This is not normal, any connector out there is designed to accept some tolerance in regard to the cables.
Yes, my first one was like this right out of the box. I returned it for a replacement that was much better.
This was stated by more than one user. The fact that the new one is much better (even if not perfect) confirms there can be variation between devices.
My device never had this problem and I used many 4.4mm cables on it, from cheap Earmax ones (Aliexpress) to expensive ones and all work fine.
At the end of day yes this is a solution, but it's not the most elegant one.

Attachments

• 3.5mm jack dimensions.png
    3.5mm jack dimensions.png
    18 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #3,590 of 3,842
If with the same cables problem is only occuring on this device then it's likely the tolerances of the female jack on the device itself are the issue.
Found specs of a 3.5mm jack (see pic attached) and the tolerance is +/-0.3mm on the total length, while sleeve's dimensions tolerances are within +/-0.2mm.
This is a random picture and it's possible good quality connectors are even better than this. The 4.4mm can't be much worse, probably having similar tolerances.

What is likely happening here is the following: the pin inside the female connector is touching on the very edge of the tip and you pulling the connector out
a tiny bit is enough to move the pin from the insulator area to the sleeve area.
This is not normal, any connector out there is designed to accept some tolerance in regard to the cables.

This was stated by more than one user. The fact that the new one is much better (even if not perfect) confirms there can be variation between devices.
My device never had this problem and I used many 4.4mm cables on it, from cheap Earmax ones from Aliexpress to expensive ones and all work fine.

At the end of day yes this is a solution, but it's not the most elegant one.
I agree, I will reach iFi support.

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #3,591 of 3,842
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,592 of 3,842
I've had the gryphon a little over a year and I have been happy with the sound and functionality it's never skipped a beat.
I have not updated it in this time I am wondering what improvement updating it will bring sound wise and function wise.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #3,594 of 3,842
There are certain aspects of sound that the Gryphon does better than the Mojo, mainly it has a wider soundstage, it's more extended (Mojo, I felt rolled off a bit early) and has DSP that works really good with a lot of Headphones & IEMs, not to mention that it's much more versatile with features like Bluetooth, Line Inputs and Outputs, more Power... On the other hand, the Mojo will have better stage depth with slightly better Imaging and it can present micro detail a tiny bit better. Overall, I would say that the Gryphon will be an improvement and easy recommendation for a portable setup. Even so, if you can, I recommend trying to audition the Gryphon before you make the final decision.

Using it as a Desktop replacement though, might not be the best thing to do. My primary concern would be battery life, there is no way to run the Gryphon off of an external power supply so this might impact the product's life cycle when using it for both Portable and Desktop use. In my testing, I felt that the Gryphon's Line-Output (only tried 3.5) wasn't the cleanest in comparision to other portable products like micro iDSD Signature and Mojo 2 so if you plan to use powered speakers at your desk, then the D50s (have not heard it personally) or even Mojo might provide a cleaner signal. It still sounds better than budget options like Zen DAC or E30 but most Mid-Fi Desktop DACs will sound better when comparing Line-Outputs into Speakers or Amps.

You mentioned that IEMs will be your primary pairing with Gryphon so power is not an issue but like others have mentioned before, there is some audible hiss from Gryphon's Balanced Output when using IEMs, my IEMs aren't even that sensitive and I can easily hear this noise so if you are driving very sensitive IEMs, this might be an issue. This can be completely removed using the IEMatch but I am one of few who does not like using it cause in my testing, it does something to the sound that I'm not a fan of. It's a very minor effect and depending on how bad the Hiss is with your IEM, you might not care or you might think it's a fair trade off.

I've read that some people mod the Mojo by disconnecting the battery and running it from external power or something. If you are comfortable doing that, you could keep Mojo for desktop use, Gryphon for portable use and sell the Topping stack. This way, you could even experiment with different combinations like using Mojo as DAC, Gryphon as Amp with xBass, xSpace...
How do you tested the Gryphon Dac?
Can you give details? You said you only used 3.5mm, but do you used the stock USB cable? What was your source, laptop, phone etc.
I have tried an Ifi Ipurifier 3 and A breeze DDC and both upgrade gryphon as dac/amp and dac, the ddc has an adventage as dac/amp.

How different were the Idsd signature and Gryphon on Frequency response when both were dacs?
How weird, I read gryphon had better separation and imaging than the Idsd signature when both were used as dacs in a Facebook comment.
When using ATH A1000Z with Gryphon, most noticeably upgrade from the Ipurifier was that it showed another section from the depth of the stage in some songs, like the clarity or definition of a part of the depth of Gryphon as dac/amp was hidden.

I would not say it was more deep, but that it revealed more from the depth of the stage.

The DDC, on the other hand, usinfg gryphon with SPDIF, gives gryphon a 10-15% bigger stage when using as dac/amp.

Like an intermediate size between decent portable stage(gryphon) and the stage size you could get from a Class A Desktop amp like Asgard 3 and Burson Soloist 3XP.

Another guy said it upgraded gryphon by like 40% but I don't agree at all with that % lol.

But yeah Gryphon can get better

I wonder what are your headphones you used, and what was the chain of the guy that said that, I sent him a DM but never answered lol.

I use the Gryphon with a Burson Soloist 3xp and I think it has a significantly better matchup/synergy than my HRT dac when using the audio technica AD open line.

But I have not tested more dacs, Well I have, but can't use the purifier.

I wonder what would happen if we give an ipurifier to Idsd , Mojo, and all of those VS gryphon, also all of those VS the ddc path variant.

Gryphon can get cleaner as DAC, but depending of the chain it can be preferable in stock form( more upfront sounding).

With some headphones like AD2000 non x, the extra cleanliness goes well.

Despite the DDC and Ipurifier makes the sound cleaner, sound becomes more thin( this happens with all Dacs) maybe it's the noise that gives the sense of fuller sound.

I find the Gryphon VERY clean when used as DAC/AMP, if anything the noisy thing is my Burson.

Gryphon gets noisy WHEN you use turbo function.

But I have also not compared if the turbo mode gives less dark background to the amp when using line out.

That's why I'm interested about what would happen between all the things above ( Ipurifier VS DDC path)

Even the diablo gets a change from the Ipurifier so I'm pretty sure the Idsd would too

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #3,595 of 3,842
Can you give details? You said you only used 3.5mm, but do you used the stock USB cable? What was your source, laptop, phone etc.
I have tried an Ifi Ipurifier 3 and A breeze DDC and both upgrade gryphon as dac/amp and dac, the ddc has an adventage as dac/amp.

How different were the Idsd signature and Gryphon on Frequency response when both were dacs?
How weird, I read gryphon had better separation and imaging than the Idsd signature when both were used as dacs in a Facebook comment.
When using ATH A1000Z with Gryphon, most noticeably upgrade from the Ipurifier was that it showed another section from the depth of the stage in some songs, like the clarity or definition of a part of the depth of Gryphon as dac/amp was hidden.

I would not say it was more deep, but that it revealed more from the depth of the stage.

The DDC, on the other hand, usinfg gryphon with SPDIF, gives gryphon a 10-15% bigger stage when using as dac/amp.

Like an intermediate size between decent portable stage(gryphon) and the stage size you could get from a Class A Desktop amp like Asgard 3 and Burson Soloist 3XP.

Another guy said it upgraded gryphon by like 40% but I don't agree at all with that % lol.

I wonder what are your headphones you used, and what was the chain of the guy that said that, I sent him a DM but never answered lol.

I use the Gryphon with a Burson Soloist 3xp and I think it has a significantly better matchup/synergy than my HRT dac when using the audio technica AD open line.

I wonder what would happen if we give an ipurifier to Idsd , Mojo, and all of those VS gryphon, also all of those VS the ddc path variant.

Gryphon can get cleaner as DAC, but depending of the chain it can be preferable in stock form( more upfront sounding).

Despite the DDC and Ipurifier makes the sound cleaner, sound becomes more thin( this happens with all Dacs) maybe it's the noise that gives the sense of fuller sound.

I find the Gryphon VERY clean when used as DAC/AMP, if anything the noisy thing is my Burson.

But I have also not compared if the turbo mode gives less dark background to the amp when using line out.

That's why I'm interested about what would happen between all the things above ( Ipurifier VS DDC path)

Even the diablo gets a change from the Ipurifier so I'm pretty sure the Idsd would too

Here's my experience feeding the Gryphon with two DDC setups
- ipad > [USB] > Douk U2 Pro (stock) > [ toslink] > Gryphon
-ipad > [USB] > Holo Titanis > [USB] > Douk U2 Pro (upgraded Crystek 957 oscillator) > [toslink] > Gryphon

Both are a clear improvement over the stock Gryphon fed USB direct from phone or Ipad but one setup is sublime and sounds like a highly resolving but very natural desktop DAC. No prizes for guessing which one.

Douk + Ifi xDSD Gryphon

On receiving the Douk U2Pro a few weeks back, I inserted it in between my Phone(s) (Samsung & Iphone) and my Ifi Gryphon xDSD (previously it was USB from phone to Gryphon), connecting via toslink into the Gryphon. The Douk is powered either via portable battery bank or a spare USB socket in my car. Music source is Tidal, either streamed via USB Audio Player Pro on the Samsung, or downloaded Tidal content on both.

The lift in performance - for both phones/all Tidal sources - is not subtle. It gives a great lift* to the sound, in terms of improvements to soundstaging and naturalness of note edges and decay in particular, but also micro and macro-dynamics and bass weight - and this is through my VW car stereo! Let alone through my Sennheiser or Hifiman headphones. It shows me that a fair bit of the raw capability of the Gryphon DAC and amp/line-out was untapped (I'd say 30-40%*) - fed via its USB input at least. I guess its USB section and reclocking/dejittering capability was understandably constrained given its price-point and physical dimensions. The combo now sounds far better than any quasi-portable rig or car stereo has any right to. The Douk has to be the best USD65 I've spent on audio.

@iFi audio - if you've not already done so with the Gryphon with the Douk or other DDCs, try it, it's quite an eye opener. Now if you could create a DDC in a compact form factor with rounded edges and a in-built battery for sub-USD250 I'd be in line...

*Edit- I initially wrote 'night and day' and 50% untapped potential/improvement etc, running from memory, then after a quick AB on my Hifiman HE400i's started second guessing myself, so moderated it a little to what I've written above. But on sustained listening and AB'ing across a range of music over the last half-hour, I think I was right first time. The addition of the Douk lifts the Gryphon into a completely different class.

Just got the version with the Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators. A large step up over the standard version: more detailed, refined, greater sense of space, including acoustic decay and with better dynamics, transients and bass weight.

Check out my OTT semi-portable Douk-based rig! 😎

Adding the Holo Audio Titanis USB regenerator/galvanic isolator takes it up the same level again - actually more I reckon - the effect is more than additive, it's synergistic with the Douk. The two together allow the Gryphon to play superbly refined, detailed and dynamic with a lovely black background and any trace of digital glare banished. If you can find one - they're in short supply - I highly recommend the Titanis which works equally well in front of the U18 DDC. I'm thinking seriously of getting a second one if I can find one.

The rig sounds indecently good for the money and is not a long way behind my Gustard R26 + OCK-2 based main system which is crazy for a semi-portable rig.

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #3,596 of 3,842

Source: Desktop via USB & Optical Outs, Phone via USB & DAP via USB& Coaxial Outs.

Ever since I got my first Gryphon (currently own a second one), I've tried various USB Cables: iFi Stock, iFi 90°, OEAudio, Cayin Stock (RU6), AmazonBasics...

I've been meaning to try a USB Purifier but have not done so yet. I do notice a small improvement when using Optical Input with the Gryphon (bigger improvement on Mojo 2). My guess is that the iPurifier is reducing the noise floor a bit and so some micro detail is easier to notice.

Yes, I only tried the 3.5mm Line-Out on the Gryphon cause I do not have a 4.4mm to RCA Cable (to pair the DAC to my Active Speakers). It's been some time since I sold the Signature (needed something more transportable) but going from memory, Signature was a bit more detailed, had a bit more width in the soundstage, sounded fuller (more bodied) & warmer. It drove Planars better. I remember reading somewhere that Signature has in-built iPurifier tech, so I guess that gives it an edge in filtering USB noise.

I actually think the Gryphon does a fairly good job managing interference and noise. It's only minor fault is the Amp noise with sensitive IEMs (which can be "fixed" with IEMatch). Mojo 2 on the other hand is a bit picky with USB sources.

Headphones tested (when comparing Gryphon & Signature): HiFiMan Sundara, Meze 99 Classic & Philips SHP9500

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #3,597 of 3,842
Here's my experience feeding the Gryphon with two DDC setups
- ipad > [USB] > Douk U2 Pro (stock) > [ toslink] > Gryphon
-ipad > [USB] > Holo Titanis > [USB] > Douk U2 Pro (upgraded Crystek 957 oscillator) > [toslink] > Gryphon

Both are a clear improvement over the stock Gryphon fed USB direct from phone or Ipad but one setup is sublime and sounds like a highly resolving but very natural desktop DAC. No prizes for guessing which one.
I'm using a Breeze Hifi DDC with upgraded TXCO Crystals.
Pretty interesing what you found, so adding a Holo Titanus, that is like an Ipurifier ( it seems?) but from another brand , before the Douk upgrades it further?
I have not tested the ipurifier before the DDC, later I may do a better Ipurifier VS ddc conparison, and also using both at the same time.
Really nice to have your findings, I think the Gryphon performance with DDC is a pretty nice improvement and a very nice performance for a portable.
If some people found gryphon hard to beat by 1000+usd daps I wonder what they would say with that or this, lol.

When you say it came close to the R26 do you mean as Only Dac?

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3,598 of 3,842
I've been meaning to try a USB Purifier
Yes, I only tried the 3.5mm Line-Out on the Gryphon cause I do not have a 4.4mm to RCA Cable (to pair the DAC to my Active Speakers). It's been some time since I sold the Signature (needed something more transportable) but going from memory, Signature was a bit more detailed, had a bit more width in the soundstage, sounded fuller (more bodied) & warmer. It drove Planars better. I remember reading somewhere that Signature has in-built iPurifier tech, so I guess that gives it an edge in filtering USB noise.

I actually think the Gryphon does a fairly good job managing interference and noise. It's only minor fault is the Amp noise with sensitive IEMs (which can be "fixed" with IEMatch). Mojo 2 on the other hand is a bit picky with USB sources.

Headphones tested (when comparing Gryphon & Signature): HiFiMan Sundara, Meze 99 Classic & Philips SHP9500
Oh, It seems mostly you compared both in Dac/ amps and those impressions are as Dac/amps, right?
If it is like that, then it sounds right, as Dac/Amps I have read signature is warmer and wider, I suppose some stage help due to power.
As far as resolution sense It seems it depends of the headphone, with planars I truly believe the Idsd could be better, due to pure amp power.
With other headphones, when both used as dac/amp and it is not a hard to drive headphone, especially dynamic ones, it seems more like a synergy thing or preference.

**But** all of this is speaking of both aa Dac/Amps.

No one seemed to do a tedious -Only Dac- VS between the 2.

I have read the 4.4 dac line out is better but can't confirm since I have not both cables for A/B.

And well, about the USB purifier thing.

You may get better results with a DDC than with the ipurifier.

I don't know why but as dac/amp the Gryphon showed more upgrades with the Breeze DDC than the ipurifier.

With the ipurifier it was like : 4%More vocal fullness in a good way/better vocals, tighter bass, cleaner sound overall.
Maybe overall a +5%, but things like Stage size do not changed.

With the DDC it clearly has an improvement in Stage size when used as dac/amp.

Overall I found it more impressive with the DDC but I returned my purifier and Could not compare both so take that on mind!

But I'm pretty sure about the Stage size.

I was comparing Ipurifier 3USB gryphon vs HRT microstreamer and that was LOTS of times, both had similar stage size when using the purifier.

The HRT received a very good upgrade in noise from the purifier.

In fact I loved the HRT+Purifier sound that I have been trying to get another Ipurifier( I can't use my DDC with it because hrt has no spdif and my ddc is toslink and coax only).

When using gryphon as DAC with the Soloist, I get a noticeably clearer sound when using the DDC.

But I don't notice like if the DDC made the stage bigger in that case( opposite to the Dac/Amp situation).

A guy I know says the Gryphon is close to the Bifrost 2 as DAC but I have not compared both.

And I'm still interested about how much help the Idsd can get with a DDC/Purifier and how they would compare to Gryphon as Dac/Amp and only DAC.

Next from me, if all goes well:

-TXCO Crystal DDC VS Ipurifier 3 as Dac/Amp.
-TXCO Crystal DDC VS Ipurifier 3 as Only Dac.
-TXCO Crystal DDC and Ipurifier 3 combined both dac/amp and only dac.
-4.4mm vs 3.5mm Dac Line out( some people said balanced outputs were cleaner, who knows lol)

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3,599 of 3,842
I'm using a Breeze Hifi DDC with upgraded TXCO Crystals.
Pretty interesing what you found, so adding a Holo Titanus, that is like an Ipurifier ( it seems?) but from another brand , before the Douk upgrades it further?
I have not tested the ipurifier before the DDC, later I may do a better Ipurifier VS ddc conparison, and also using both at the same time.
Really nice to have your findings, I think the Gryphon performance with DDC is a pretty nice improvement and a very nice performance for a portable.
If some people found gryphon hard to beat by 1000+usd daps I wonder what they would say with that or this, lol.

When you say it came close to the R26 do you mean as Only Dac?
I dont think the Gryphon is hard to beat by a 1000+ daps.
For the last 2 weeks i was comparing the Gryphon with Fiio M15s and the Fiio beats the Gryphon in every department. Is more spacious, cleaner, more defined, better separated and even less forward in mids (which is surprising considering the fact that the Gryphon is rather laid back there).
Maybe when the Gryphon is connected to some higher end source, then it hits way above its price bracket but then its not a portable solution then.
Dont get me wrong, i love Gryphon's musical and muscular presentation but its technicalities arent as good as some 900-1000 dol daps.
But there are some other great things about it- a lot of power, XBass, XSpace, iem match, its light, well made, works like a charm and has IFI house sound.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #3,600 of 3,842
I dont think the Gryphon is hard to beat by a 1000+ daps.
For the last 2 weeks i was comparing the Gryphon with Fiio M15s and the Fiio beats the Gryphon in every department. Is more spacious, cleaner, more defined, better separated and even less forward in mids (which is surprising considering the fact that the Gryphon is rather laid back there).
Maybe when the Gryphon is connected to some higher end source, then it hits way above its price bracket but then its not a portable solution then.
Dont get me wrong, i love Gryphon's musical and muscular presentation but its technicalities arent as good as some 900-1000 dol daps.
But there are some other great things about it- a lot of power, XBass, XSpace, iem match, its light, well made, works like a charm and has IFI house sound.
Oh I see, Nice to have your opinion, as "DAP" I only have the LG so I can't say much, I only read some people that said that, but I think they don't even specified the +-1000usd Daps lol.
Totally Understandable that m15 would be better in technicalities than the Gryphon with no help.

A gryphon with all the help we have been talking could give a Very tough time to some gear, but like you said...
It loses portability, even with the small Ipurifier.

So I find it maybe more like a semi-desktop alternative, or intermediate lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back