xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,136 of 3,839
I love the Gryphon--but any recommendations for cases in which the 4.4 balanced output cuts out on a side of the headphone when fully plugged in? When pulled back a little, the connection will work, but that's not perfect for portable use.
MITER CASE MITER Case for iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon DAC, Handmade Italy Pueblo Leather Case Cover for Gryphon (Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q69RJWS

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #3,137 of 3,839
I love the Gryphon--but any recommendations for cases in which the 4.4 balanced output cuts out on a side of the headphone when fully plugged in? When pulled back a little, the connection will work, but that's not perfect for portable use.
It depends, some plugs have that problem yes. For my shure se846 I use the fiio cable and for my ananda stealth I use the Meze hifi cable, both 4.4mm

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,138 of 3,839
MITER CASE MITER Case for iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon DAC, Handmade Italy Pueblo Leather Case Cover for Gryphon (Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q69RJWS
Thanks! I do have a Miter case--I'm wondering about something like a small silicon ring to prevent the plug from going all the way in. It's tricky and cuts out if not just perfectly positioned. The Miter case is lovely.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #3,139 of 3,839
Thanks! I do have a Miter case--I'm wondering about something like a small silicon ring to prevent the plug from going all the way in. It's tricky and cuts out if not just perfectly positioned. The Miter case is lovely.
Oh, I misunderstood. What about an O-Ring around the connector itself? Hardware stores have very small ones, or you can get a kit from Harbor Freight with a bunch of different sizes (might be a bit overkill).

If I remember correctly, paintball guns use some very small ones, so might want to search based on that

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,141 of 3,839
What's the consensus on using a case for the Gryphon? Not needed for most folks?

The Miter case looks great but looks bulky and probably restricts heat dissipation

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #3,142 of 3,839
What's the consensus on using a case for the Gryphon? Not needed for most folks?

The Miter case looks great but looks bulky and probably restricts heat dissipation

I don't use a case - typically I don't walk around with the Gryphon and headphones, i use it on my work desk or at home, so the pouch it comes with is plenty good for transportability, and when I use I prefer to enjoy it's naked and modern design.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #3,144 of 3,839

I don't find miter adding much bulk on at all and Gryphon doesn't get got enough to make Hest an issue with case on. The only negative I've got with it is not having a firm enough grip and Gryphon is too easy to slide out.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #3,145 of 3,839
I don't find miter adding much bulk on at all and Gryphon doesn't get got enough to make Hest an issue with case on. The only negative I've got with it is not having a firm enough grip and Gryphon is too easy to slide out.
It’s always better without protection - the feeling and the grip of my griffin.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #3,146 of 3,839

I like the case because I find that I am often stacking phones, daps, etc. on top of the gryphon. :)
71EBFB25-77E6-4FC8-BF25-3FABC498B153.jpeg

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #3,147 of 3,839
I like the case because I find that I am often stacking phones, daps, etc. on top of the gryphon. :)

How does the Zen can compare to the Gryphon sound quality wise if comparing with line in on both? I wonder if it's worth getting the zen can if one already has the gryph (putting aside the power differences, as I find the gryph power plenty enough to drive all of my headphones)

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #3,148 of 3,839
How does the Zen can compare to the Gryphon sound quality wise if comparing with line in on both? I wonder if it's worth getting the zen can if one already has the gryph (putting aside the power differences, as I find the gryph power plenty enough to drive all of my headphones)
I think the Zen CAN with zen DAC sounds best across my (small) iem and headphone collection, especially with the Sundara. The iFi gryphon is very close if not better than just the zen DAC (without Zen CAN) and about as smooth as the Zen CAN, again with the exception of the Sundaras, which I think sound better with the class A amp. I also have the Zen DAC attached to my PC with the USB iFi power ‘silencer’. I really like the sound of the gryphon when paired with balanced line in from the M11 Plus ESS. I doubt I could tell the difference across all of these devices if my eyes were closed.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #3,149 of 3,839
I think the Zen CAN with zen DAC sounds best across my (small) iem and headphone collection, especially with the Sundara. The iFi gryphon is very close if not better than just the zen DAC (without Zen CAN) and about as smooth as the Zen CAN, again with the exception of the Sundaras, which I think sound better with the class A amp. I also have the Zen DAC attached to my PC with the USB iFi power ‘silencer’. I really like the sound of the gryphon when paired with balanced line in from the M11 Plus ESS. I doubt I could tell the difference across all of these devices if my eyes were closed.
Yes, the differences are pretty small as far as sound is concerned. Most important thing is that one is portable and easy to carry and the other is not.

If I'm being critical then the Gryphon has a slightly better DAC section vs Zen DAC (Stock) but, using cleaner power supply (I tested with Allow Shanti) or USB Purifier like iPurifier3 or JitterBug (I have not personally tested this) does improve the sound of Zen DAC. The Amp section is definitely better on the Zen CAN. I don't know if it's because of Class A or because of more power but especially for Planar Headphones the Zen CAN is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back