xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,106 of 3,839
that was a demo model, which I returned before I bought a new one in box. If you read all my posts, you saw I was testing a gryphon, to see if I thought worth while But's let's stop this useless discussion, you just can't always agree on everything, sometimes it is fine 'agree to disagree' and live on for another day :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #3,107 of 3,839
My gryphon and Grado sr325x are not getting on at all, sounded awful and thought I’d made a big mistake getting the gryphon, then I tried some of my iems in the 4.4mm port and it sounded like a totally different beast!

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #3,108 of 3,839
My gryphon and Grado sr325x are not getting on at all, sounded awful and thought I’d made a big mistake getting the gryphon, then I tried some of my iems in the 4.4mm port and it sounded like a totally different beast!
That is a few of the comments you now and than hear, and I agree. The 3.5mm is way underpowered compared to the balanced 4.4 port. They advertise with 1000mw but, you won’t get that on the 3.5. There shouldn’t have been so much difference in power. Now I had to order 4.4mm for several headphones. But yes have to say, on 4.4mm it really sounds good

I think that also partly explain the difference, my experience was the same

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #3,109 of 3,839
That is a few of the comments you now and than hear, and I agree. The 3.5mm is way underpowered compared to the balanced 4.4 port. They advertise with 1000mw but, you won’t get that om the 3.5. There shouldn’t have been so much difference in power. No I had to order 4.4mm for several headphones. But yes have to say, on 4.4mm it really sounds good

I think that also partly explain the difference, my experience was the same
Just sounded horrible which surprised me as I really like Grados....sounded muffled and really underpowered and these aren't difficult headphones to drive at all!

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #3,112 of 3,839
Hi folks, did some of you tried Gryphon with Hifiman Edition XS and Arya Stealth? I manage to drive Edition XS superbly (max volume on Gryphon around 87 not to get it too loud) but with Arya Stealth even at louder volumes ~95 seems dull and underpowered... is Arya to hard to drive from Gryphon ?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #3,113 of 3,839
Hi folks, did some of you tried Gryphon with Hifiman Edition XS and Arya Stealth? I manage to drive Edition XS superbly (max volume on Gryphon around 87 not to get it too loud) but with Arya Stealth even at louder volumes ~95 seems dull and underpowered... is Arya to hard to drive from Gryphon ?
That doesn’t sound right to me. The Arya at 32 ohm and the gryphon on balanced outputs 1w or near that.

The XS are 18 ohm and lower sensitivity too so should be harder to drive

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #3,114 of 3,839
That doesn’t sound right to me. The Arya at 32 ohm and the gryphon on balanced outputs 1w or near that.

The XS are 18 ohm and lower sensitivity too so should be harder to drive

It may be that I used the Edition XS balanced cable ? But it sounds perfect with edition XS.... other than this I dont know... but it sounded reallly underpowered the bass was lacking... like a hugeeee difference between the 2 headphones...

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #3,115 of 3,839
It may be that I used the Edition XS balanced cable ? But it sounds perfect with edition XS.... other than this I dont know... but it sounded reallly underpowered the bass was lacking... like a hugeeee difference between the 2 headphones...

So you use the edition on the 4.4mm output? And the Arya 3.5mm do you think? Switch the cables over. It will make a vast difference in terms of power yes.

Ps- You are using the outputs on the volume dial side right? The other side (with the source USB inputs) are much lower power I think. Assume someone can explain why this is in a more technical way than I can.

The gryphon power via 4.4mm (balanced) is 1w ish and 3.5mm (unbalanced) is I think 3-400mw

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #3,116 of 3,839
So you use the edition on the 4.4mm output? And the Arya 3.5mm do you think? Switch the cables over. It will make a vast difference in terms of power yes.

Ps- You are using the outputs on the volume dial side right? The other side (with the source USB inputs) are much lower power I think. Assume someone can explain why this is in a more technical way than I can.

The gryphon power via 4.4mm (balanced) is 1w ish and 3.5mm (unbalanced) is I think 3-400mw
No no I am using the same balanced cable 4.4 with both headphones. No 3.5 at all.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,118 of 3,839
I see. Very strange. I have a new pair of Arya Stealths and the Gryphon and will test soon. They are definitely the stealth variety? Did you buy new?
Yes 3rd revision. Didnt bought them. I took my Gryphon and Edition XS to the local Audio store and tried their demo Arya pair. And it was for sure the Stealth Edition. I was trying to see if Arya makes sense and it will be a clear upgrade to my Edition XS using Gryphon.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3,120 of 3,839
Sorry I get you. How strange. I’ll try and reply tomorrow
Thx. Much appreciated as I am really confused with my experience. I can only think at 2 options:

1. Gryphon cant drive Arya properly
2. Those Arya pair were NOK but I really doubt it. It is a serious store and they have people trained to verify all the products and a wall full of different headphones for testing. And Arya was one of the most tested so they made sure it was OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back