xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 4, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,121 of 3,871
Just tried them for you. Only the second time I have ever used them. I have a pair of sundaras too.

Bear in mind I have not updated my Gryphon so I am still on the -db volume reading rather than a percentage? I think that is what changed anyway.

So my casual listening volume would be around-35 to -30db which I think is 65-70. -20 would be as laugh as I ever go for any duration. -10 was so laugh it worried me, feared for my hearing and damage to the headphones. I’d never go to -10 again :triportsad:

So they sound phenomenal with the gryphon and there is a huge amount of headroom. The stats of the gryphon combined with the sensitivity/impedance of the Arya suggest that it can power them to 125db plus. I don’t know what that sounds like… but I won’t be finding out.

I think from memory the gryphon has a high gain too.

You didn’t plug them into the alternative 4.4mm line in? Or flick the 4.4mm ie match on the base?

66F4ADE0-0F62-4B95-A03A-9A6D02191C88.jpeg

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #3,122 of 3,871
Just tried them for you. Only the second time I have ever used them. I have a pair of sundaras too.

Bear in mind I have not updated my Gryphon so I am still on the -db volume reading rather than a percentage? I think that is what changed anyway.

So my casual listening volume would be around-35 to -30db which I think is 65-70. -20 would be as laugh as I ever go for any duration. -10 was so laugh it worried me, feared for my hearing and damage to the headphones. I’d never go to -10 again :triportsad:

So they sound phenomenal with the gryphon and there is a huge amount of headroom. The stats of the gryphon combined with the sensitivity/impedance of the Arya suggest that it can power them to 125db plus. I don’t know what that sounds like… but I won’t be finding out.

I think from memory the gryphon has a high gain too.

You didn’t plug them into the alternative 4.4mm line in? Or flick the 4.4mm ie match on the base?

Pluged them exactly as you did in the pic. Interesting... so Gryphon can drive them good. Yeah I have the updated firmware and it shows me different without - and dbs. I may go again and listen Arya maybe those pair had something weird... Thx for the quick check !

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #3,123 of 3,871
Yes 3rd revision. Didnt bought them. I took my Gryphon and Edition XS to the local Audio store and tried their demo Arya pair. And it was for sure the Stealth Edition. I was trying to see if Arya makes sense and it will be a clear upgrade to my Edition XS using Gryphon.
The ananda is already a huge upgrade to the XS to be honest. The arya and the ananda are more to the high fidelity neutral tuned, so if that is not up to your taste stay away from those and above then. I listened to the arya and ananda on the gryphon and they sounded amazing. Exactly the right amount of base

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #3,124 of 3,871
None of portable devices can drive planar-magnetic headphones properly. Even Diablo cannot drive them properly. There are desktop solutions on the market...

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #3,125 of 3,871
None of portable devices can drive planar-magnetic headphones properly. Even Diablo cannot drive them properly. There are desktop solutions on the market...
That is just so not true. yes there are desktop units that sound better, than a gryphon or idsd signature but that has nothing to do with running them properly. More a better amp. A ifi gryphon or idsd signature are more than adequate to run a sundara or a ananda, and they sound good with more than enough power. If you go to higher planar models I would advice an desktop model yes, but that has more to do with sound quality then power. 1000mw is more then enough to run planars

I have esl martin logans, they run more than fine on my surround receiver with enough power, but they do sound better on my stereo amp, why? Power? No, just a better amp. (The surround receiver has almost 60 rms more per channel than the stereo does, both amps are hi end by the way mcintosh)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #3,127 of 3,871
This is what I mean...
But they way you put it down was like they don’t sound good. Like in my example my martin logan sound really really good on both my amps, on the stereo amp just a little better, but sure not night and day.

So if you want the convience of portability, planar sound, and good sound quality, the combi xdsd gryphon or a idsd signature is a really good and musical match. And 1000mw is more than enough to make them sound good with a burr brown stage

Just because a desktop version sound better doesn’t mean the other option doesn’t sound nice either. You didn’t say the words but you meant crap on the portable units, and me and many others will disagree with you

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,128 of 3,871
I don't say that you cannot listen to planars with players or portable amps. And I did listen to multiple times with micro idsd BL, iDSD SIgnature, Diablo and Gryphon...
By "properly" I mean 100% performance ("to open up" your headphones).
From my experience, I always have to switch to a desktop amplifier to achieve that 100% performance. For me "portable" is always a compromise when we talk about planars.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #3,129 of 3,871
I don't say that you cannot listen to planars with players or portable amps. And I did listen to multiple times with micro idsd BL, iDSD SIgnature, Diablo and Gryphon...
By "properly" I mean 100% performance ("to open up" your headphones).
From my experience, I always have to switch to a desktop amplifier to achieve that 100% performance. For me "portable" is always a compromise when we talk about planars.
Also depends wich models. The ananda or sundara are really easy to drive planars, if you listen at reasonable volumes. There are more than enough planars that are way harder to run, even arya is already at a point where I would say, taka ananda instead if you go portable. But on a gryphon or idsd signature, there was no actuall much different in sound quality with a desktop amp. If you go in the 1000/1500 euro desktop amp price range that is.

And a 1500 or 3000 euro and above desktop amp is not a reasonable comparison, ofcourse they will sound better, you are paying for it. But buying such a amp will make me buy a 2000 euro headphone too if you know what I mean

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #3,130 of 3,871
The Arya Stealth Magnet edition is now one of easiest to drive Planar headphones out there. Easier than sundara. Maybe the ananda is easier with higher sensitivity. But you can drive the Arya from any portable device more or less.

Not saying that is the ‘best’ solution. But a smaller portable solution for anything is rarely ever the best.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #3,131 of 3,871
Quick question about sound level: I have Gryphon + Edition XS. How loud do you listen if you have the same setup ? I mean if you want to listen at least 1-2 hours and not hurting you ears. I see I tend to listen them on the 85-87 on the Grpyon volume level + presence and xbass on in order to feel them alive and sounding great but for some of my friends that seems way too high so I am afraid thay I may damage my ears... i am buying a decibel meter trying to see if I am below 85dbs inside an earcup listening at 85-87 volume on Gryphon.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #3,132 of 3,871
Quick question about sound level: I have Gryphon + Edition XS. How loud do you listen if you have the same setup ? I mean if you want to listen at least 1-2 hours and not hurting you ears. I see I tend to listen them on the 85-87 on the Grpyon volume level + presence and xbass on in order to feel them alive and sounding great but for some of my friends that seems way too high so I am afraid thay I may damage my ears... i am buying a decibel meter trying to see if I am below 85dbs inside an earcup listening at 85-87 volume on Gryphon.
Basic rule of thumb is - if it's uncomfortable, it's too loud. If I'm doing critical listening, I'll back it off of "full crank" so I can concentrate more on what I'm hearing. If I need to drown out the voices in my head telling me to buy Sushi from a gas station, then I'll crank it loud. For sleepy time, it's nice and quiet. I do it all by ear, not by numbers.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #3,133 of 3,871
I own this combo and quite like it. I have tried a few different inputs (usb from Iphone into Gryphon / LDAC in / and balanced out from my FIIO M11 Plus ESS into the balanced line in on my Gryphon). Best sound is a tie between line in from the M11 Plus and using the Gryphon as a USB DAC. LDAC is close but does not sound as good to my ear. I basically leave xbass off, as that is not a concern with the IE600. Gryphon tames the treble a touch vs. the THX amp on the M11 Plus. I don’t notice any hiss (whereas I do hear audible hiss with the shure 535, which is more sensitive). I also use Sundara and a pair of Grado 325x with Gryphon — both sound great. I use the bass boost on the Grado’s, which produces a nice compliment to the otherwise bright headphones.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #3,134 of 3,871
Hi to all. I am seriously considering buying Gryphon. Before I hit the button though I would love your opinions on its matching with my Sennheiser IE 600. Does anyone own this combination? would you share your experiences please? Thank you in advance
I own this combo and quite like it. I have tried a few different inputs (usb from Iphone into Gryphon / LDAC in / and balanced out from my FIIO M11 Plus ESS into the balanced line in on my Gryphon). Best sound is a tie between line in from the M11 Plus and using the Gryphon as a USB DAC. LDAC is close but does not sound as good to my ear. I basically leave xbass off, as that is not a concern with the IE600. Gryphon tames the treble a touch vs. the THX amp on the M11 Plus. I don’t notice any hiss (whereas I do hear audible hiss with the shure 535, which is more sensitive). I also use Sundara and a pair of Grado 325x with Gryphon — both sound great. I use the bass boost on the Grado’s, which produces a nice compliment to the otherwise bright headphones.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,135 of 3,871
I love the Gryphon--but any recommendations for cases in which the 4.4 balanced output cuts out on a side of the headphone when fully plugged in? When pulled back a little, the connection will work, but that's not perfect for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back