xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Apr 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,936 of 3,842
Just picked up a Gryphon yesterday and am loving it. Thanks to my reading about it in advance, I quicky updated the firmware so now I can use the volume dial to change tracks. Really loving it so far with my Sennheiser IE600. It's comforting to know there's so much power in this handheld device if I happen to need it.

Wah! Still waiting for the IE600 to arrive at my local shop 😔 Looking forward to the same pairing aa well 👍🏼

I didn't feel like waiting until some still undefined Spring/Summer date for North America so I took a chance and ordered it from hifigo. Took a couple weeks because of the city lockdown but it eventually arrived. Love it. Would be curious to know how it compares against the IE900 but didn't feel like it would be double the price good. Who knows, maybe a year or two from now I'll be curious enough to find out.

And just like that, received a message from the shop (literally just now!) That stocks will be arriving next week! He already saved 1 for me, Noice! 😄

Congrats. I've only heard good things about the 600 - truly one of those rare "can't go wrong" purchases in audio.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,937 of 3,842
Trying out DAC only mode...

20220415_083059.jpg

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,939 of 3,842
I just received mine. This is a silly question, but I don't see instructions for updating the firmware. I have IOS and Mac.

I went to iFI's website. Once you select the device you have and enter your Gryphon serial number you should see the device updates you can download. The instructions are included in the zip files.

https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,940 of 3,842
I've been using my Gryphon with my Galaxy S10+ phone. Mostly been using USB but also started trying the Bluetooth connection. Haven't listened to it long enough to decide which one I like better. I also wanted to see if I could connect the Gryphon to my old Galaxy S7 Edge just to give myself some options but it has a micro USB and the Gryphon won't recognize my phone with the cable I'm using. Can anyone recommend a micro USB to USB C cable that they know will work for this?

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,941 of 3,842
can this replace my desktop heresy + modi 3+ stack? the headphones I own are LCD 2C, HE5XX, 177X GO, moondrop aria and KSC75X. the bluetooth feature and usb dac chip are really tempting and my headphones aren’t really that hard to drive. 1W would be more than enough to power them. Will the sound be as clean as my schiit stack? I’m tired of having to sit on my desktop and the advantages of having a portable device like the gryphon is quite appealing. should I get the xcan instead and keep my schiit stack?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,942 of 3,842
I've been using my Gryphon with my Galaxy S10+ phone. Mostly been using USB but also started trying the Bluetooth connection. Haven't listened to it long enough to decide which one I like better. I also wanted to see if I could connect the Gryphon to my old Galaxy S7 Edge just to give myself some options but it has a micro USB and the Gryphon won't recognize my phone with the cable I'm using. Can anyone recommend a micro USB to USB C cable that they know will work for this?
Hi, I have been this cable with about 3 dac/amps, all worked. I have Samsung Flip 3. This cable lasted me so far 2 years with everyday usage. Google for a better price if you care.

However, you will use the cable the other way around, that might be the issue. I have never used it connected to a micro USB equipped phone. If I were you, LDAC is the way.

https://headphoniaks.com/en/shop/shanling-l2/

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #1,943 of 3,842
Hi, I have been this cable with about 3 dac/amps, all worked. I have Samsung Flip 3. This cable lasted me so far 2 years with everyday usage. Google for a better price if you care.

However, you will use the cable the other way around, that might be the issue. I have never used it connected to a micro USB equipped phone. If I were you, LDAC is the way.

https://headphoniaks.com/en/shop/shanling-l2/

Yeah. Not a lot of people using micro USB phones anymore. The Bluetooth connection does work beautifully.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,944 of 3,842
Yeah. Not a lot of people using micro USB phones anymore. The Bluetooth connection does work beautifully.
Yes, BT connection works, but you have to pay attention to the codec supported by your device: not all codecs support HD streaming 😉

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,945 of 3,842
can this replace my desktop heresy + modi 3+ stack? the headphones I own are LCD 2C, HE5XX, 177X GO, moondrop aria and KSC75X. the bluetooth feature and usb dac chip are really tempting and my headphones aren’t really that hard to drive. 1W would be more than enough to power them. Will the sound be as clean as my schiit stack? I’m tired of having to sit on my desktop and the advantages of having a portable device like the gryphon is quite appealing. should I get the xcan instead and keep my schiit stack?

I don't know if it would replace my desktop setup since I have a Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir MB amp and DAC setup and I do have some power hungry headphones (Argon Mk 3, HE-500), but I quite enjoy getting away from my desk while still being able to enjoy my music when sitting in my living room on the couch with just my phone, Gryphon, and IE600 IEMs. Since you use the word "replace", would you be selling your desktop rig to buy the Gryphon? It might in your case if you don't have any power hungry headphones. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything on the Gryphon with my portable rig. I was thinking of ordering a Hart Audio cable so I can try the 4.4 balanced connection with my Argons to test the abilities of the amp..

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,946 of 3,842
Very hard to compare, totally different animals. But in terms of features and audio quality, I would say yes—especially if you go for a set of balanced cables for your cans. 4.4mm pentaconn cables are easy to come by these days for just about any headphone. But even in the absence of this, the gryphon has more than enough power to handle your headphone listed. It also has a very fine analog bass and presence boost, and ifi’s implementation of the Burr-Brown chipset is very, very good.

One thing that might be of use is ifi’s headphone calculator on their website (https://ifi-audio.com/home-2/headphone-calculator/). It’ll allow you to search for your headphones and determine if you could benefit from the ieMatch toggle built in to the Gryphon.

I use the Gryphon as my portable, and the desktop setup I have listed under my signature. But I used to have a Schiit DAC setup, and I would say that the Gryphon sounds as good if not better. You can always try one on Amazon—they have a generous return policy.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,947 of 3,842

So true. I have Xduoo XD05 Balanced and I only use LDAC (the highest quality one 900 kbps). No connection issues in the city.

In my opinion, when cruising through a busy city + sound of skateboard with hard wheels, the sound quality difference between using LDAC vs. cable must be really small.
On the other hand, listening to music in quiet environment (home) must make USB with FLACs definitely superior. Have not tried though lol.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,948 of 3,842
I don't know if it would replace my desktop setup since I have a Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir MB amp and DAC setup and I do have some power hungry headphones (Argon Mk 3, HE-500), but I quite enjoy getting away from my desk while still being able to enjoy my music when sitting in my living room on the couch with just my phone, Gryphon, and IE600 IEMs. Since you use the word "replace", would you be selling your desktop rig to buy the Gryphon? It might in your case if you don't have any power hungry headphones. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything on the Gryphon with my portable rig. I was thinking of ordering a Hart Audio cable so I can try the 4.4 balanced connection with my Argons to test the abilities of the amp..
yes unfurtonately, the xdsd gryphon is a little out of my budget to get with my Schiit Stack, so I can only buy it after getting rid of my stack. I would use it as a desktop dac/amp as well. I find myself having to set on my desktop to enjoy my headphones which isn’t quite enjoyable, though the sound quality of my stack is incredible with lots of power. So yeah the gryphon WILL REPLACE my stack and should be my all rounder dac/amp. I love the xbass and xspace features, also my moondrop aria and ksc75x would benefit from the iematch SE. so it check all the boxes right? can it be used as a clean desktop setup in studio to produce music with my 2Cs modded? (added fazors + ZMF hybrid fenestrated pads. now they sound like the X with better stage).

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,949 of 3,842
So true. I have Xduoo XD05 Balanced and I only use LDAC (the highest quality one 900 kbps). No connection issues in the city.

In my opinion, when cruising through a busy city + sound of skateboard with hard wheels, the sound quality difference between using LDAC vs. cable must be really small.
On the other hand, listening to music in quiet environment (home) must make USB with FLACs definitely superior. Have not tried though lol.

From a Bluetooth perspective, my Galaxy S10+ seems only capable of aptx and the Gryphon is showing I'm just getting 44k. When I use it wired I'm getting 192K. I'm not sure I can really hear the difference when sitting at home listening. I probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference in quality on a slightly noisier commuter train. Also being able to keep my phone in my pocket with Bluetooth and just be working with my IEMs and Gryphon in the hand is much lighter and convenient.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,950 of 3,842
From a Bluetooth perspective, my Galaxy S10+ seems only capable of aptx and the Gryphon is showing I'm just getting 44k. When I use it wired I'm getting 192K. I'm not sure I can really hear the difference when sitting at home listening. I probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference in quality on a slightly noisier commuter train. Also being able to keep my phone in my pocket with Bluetooth and just be working with my IEMs and Gryphon in the hand is much lighter and convenient.
FWIW, my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra will do LDAC Bluetooth, and it sounds ALMOST as good as a wired connection. Might be time to trade up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back