xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,561 of 3,839
Sounds like a serious issue. Good thing there wasn't an expensive IEM connected to the Mojo 2.
Yes, very lucky that I didn't connect my ie900, I would have if it had the 3.5mm cable connected, it was going to be high on the list of IEM's I tested Mojo 2 with.

The iBasso IT01s is a relatively "cheap" IEM by HeadFi standards. I paid £180 for it but I'm sure a lot of consumers would say, £180 for an IEM are you mad! Little do they know. :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #1,562 of 3,839
Yes, very lucky that I didn't connect my ie900, I would have if it had the 3.5mm cable connected, it was going to be high on the list of IEM's I tested Mojo 2 with.

The iBasso IT01s is a relatively "cheap" IEM by HeadFi standards. I paid £180 for it but I'm sure a lot of consumers would say, £180 for an IEM are you mad! Little do they know. :)
£180 is a cheap IEM cable nowadays 😅

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #1,563 of 3,839
I shipped my Gryphon back to the seller last week and upon further consideration, I've requested a refund. A potentially great product and maybe I'll buy again when I've more confidence about the 4.4mm jack issue... it was a nerve wrecking moment when my Traillii got stuck and that part fell out!

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,564 of 3,839
I shipped my Gryphon back to the seller last week and upon further consideration, I've requested a refund. A potentially great product and maybe I'll buy again when I've more confidence about the 4.4mm jack issue... it was a nerve wrecking moment when my Traillii got stuck and that part fell out!
Sad to hear it, but understandable. Thanfully mine seems ok with the 4.4mm cables I use, but then again after all the drama, I now insert and remove the connectors like I'm diffusing a bomb... :cold_sweat:

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,565 of 3,839
Sad to hear it, but understandable. Thanfully mine seems ok with the 4.4mm cables I use, but then again after all the drama, I now insert and remove the connectors like I'm diffusing a bomb... :cold_sweat:

Yes before sending it back, I was the exact same - and ZEN PRO stopped working altogether after that part fell out! If I could just pop to a store and try another, I would but it took weeks to get my unit in the first place so I'm not going through that again with the risk I'll have the same issue. Shame as I did really like it... saving now for C9 instead 😎

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,566 of 3,839
Feb 6, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,568 of 3,839
Yes it was horrible, I really thought it had damaged the jack on the PW Cable on my Traillii... a moment of panic!
I never even thought about the possibility that expensive gears like these may cause problem like that. Now I have to thing twice before connecting any of my gears to anything.

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #1,570 of 3,839
Anyone using the Gryphon on Windows 11 (maybe 10, too) has this issue: there is no way to mute the Gryphon using the mute button on the keyboard or click the speaker icon in the notification. The only way to get the "Mute" status to appear on the Gryphon is to decrease the volume on Windows to 0%.

I use it with the ifi driver and the latest firmware.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #1,572 of 3,839
Hopefully Chord will look at it when they get it back and see if its an isolated incident or something more serious.

I was a bit concerned when Rob said he had removed a capacitor from the output stage to improve Mojo 2's higher frequency response and wondered if this kind of thing could happen as capacitors are usually used in output stages to block stray DC currents from flowing into speakers and headphones.

I will stress that I have no idea if a DC element somehow got through and Rob knows more about electronics design than I could ever hope to know, but I do know any DC current flow is very bad for delicate voice coils, lets hope this is indeed an isolated incident.

That crackling sounds like DC especially if there is no output stage protection.

Drivers tend to heat up if there is DC involved and at this point in audio its simply poor design choice.

Got the Gryphon after having a look at the Mojo 2.

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,573 of 3,839
Just bought the Gryphon after selling my iDSD Signature. Even if I lose some sound quality compared to the Signature, the portability & versatility is nice to have. I'll prioritize sound quality on my Desktop setup instead.

While I wait for my order to arrive, I had some questions and hope someone here can answer them.

1. I remember reading about a weird behavior of IEMatch, changing the IEMatch setting to 3.5 would also effect the 4.4 Output and vice versa? If true, then could this be mislabelled? Maybe it's similar to Signature's IEMatch where 3.5 is High & 4.4 is Ultra sensitivity and toggling any one option would effect both the 3.5 & 4.4 Outputs.

2. Are the volume jump issues completely solved? and has there been an update to disable volume Sync?

3. Can we toggle GTO & Bit-Perfect without having to flash a fimware? On the Signature, I had to flash 7.2C Firmware for GTO which resulted in not being able to use other filters. If I flashed another firmware, then I'd lose the GTO filter...

4. Is there any EMI/RFI when stacked with a phone?

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #1,574 of 3,839
Just bought the Gryphon after selling my iDSD Signature. Even if I lose some sound quality compared to the Signature, the portability & versatility is nice to have. I'll prioritize sound quality on my Desktop setup instead.

While I wait for my order to arrive, I had some questions and hope someone here can answer them.

1. I remember reading about a weird behavior of IEMatch, changing the IEMatch setting to 3.5 would also effect the 4.4 Output and vice versa? If true, then could this be mislabelled? Maybe it's similar to Signature's IEMatch where 3.5 is High & 4.4 is Ultra sensitivity and toggling any one option would effect both the 3.5 & 4.4 Outputs.

2. Are the volume jump issues completely solved? and has there been an update to disable volume Sync?

3. Can we toggle GTO & Bit-Perfect without having to flash a fimware? On the Signature, I had to flash 7.2C Firmware for GTO which resulted in not being able to use other filters. If I flashed another firmware, then I'd lose the GTO filter...

4. Is there any EMI/RFI when stacked with a phone?
1. It does yes and I agree it could be the same as the Signature's IEMatch in functionality here. I'm not sure if we ever got clarification from iFi on this though.

2. In the most part yes. I would still like a volume limit function, kind of like a "gain" feature. H,M,L depending on IEM/HP sensitivity.

3. Not sure as I'm not too bothered about filters and can rarely if ever hear a difference.

4. There is some background noise with very sensitive loads and IEMatch off but I can't say my phone has any effect on this so I would personally say no.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,575 of 3,839
Yes, we can toggle MIN, GTO, BP, STD filters at any time. For me, the effect of the selected filter is audible in every case (I mainly listen to progressive rock, metal, metalcore).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back