xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,186 of 3,871
My deconstructed "stack" for today.

Roon->2Go->2yu->Gryphon(USB)->KSE1200. Wife triggered, why do you need to make things so complicated, she may have a point, nah. :wink:

20211230_105914.jpg
Why 3? What's the value in stacking here?

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,187 of 3,871
Why 3? What's the value in stacking here?

It wont work without all three/four units.

2go is a WiFi streamer
2yu is am interface for the 2go to allow it to be used with other DAC's other than the Hugo 2
Gryphon is the DAC/Lineout amp.
KSW1200 is the electrostatic amp for the Shure electrostatic IEM.

Not portable really but a very fun listen.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,188 of 3,871

2go is a WiFi streamer
2yu is am interface for the 2go to allow it to be used with other DAC's other than the Hugo 2

So it sounds better than just gryphon by itself?

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,189 of 3,871
So it sounds better than just gryphon by itself?
Ahh the $100,000,000 question, yes I think it does. Other than Bluetooth or connecting to a PC/phone directly there aren't that many other ways to get 1's and 0's music to the Gryphon that I can think of.

It just looks a bit crazy on the desk, hence the reason I posted a picture of it. :)

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,190 of 3,871
Ahh the $100,000,000 question, yes I think it does. Other than Bluetooth or connecting to a PC/phone directly there aren't that many other ways to get 1's and 0's music to the Gryphon that I can think of.

It just looks a bit crazy on the desk, hence the reason I posted a picture of it. :)
Well, that would be it right? Direct plug to phone or computer or stream from phone or computer.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,191 of 3,871
I didn't care for the Gryphon's tone vs the Idsd micro signature, and the TCL phone I had taped to it required being unplugged and plugged back in every time I turned on he sig, so I sent it back as I found that annoying. Using my phone is preferable if I want to stream youtube videos or something or read while listening to music, so I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1Q1Q83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to attach to my Sig. I'm curious what the LDAC will do in terms of sound, ie if it compromises the sound. I'm hoping not, but we will see. The signature definitely has more detail and more ooph in the bass than the Gryphon does, but the Gryphon is more portable for sure. Good for iems on the go.
The Gryphon has some strengths too. Speed namely. Midrange is lightning quick.
And incredibly detailed and even going upward from there. This makes Gryphon very, very attractive for gaming and music alike.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,192 of 3,871
Well, that would be it right? Direct plug to phone or computer or stream from phone or computer.
In theory, anything with a line out could be hooked up to Gryphon's line in, no?

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,193 of 3,871
After some back and forth with customer support they have verified that the IEMatch on the xDSD Gryphon is the same as the the 4.4 IeMatch which was released at the same time. This should clear things up.

I figured this was the data you were alluding to but wanted to confirm since you kept talking about the Solaris. The graph shows another IEM with a completely different iEMatch system. I never once said it doesn't change the FR. In fact, it's been known for years at this point. Again, I just wanted you to show actual data on your claims. I agree the OI of the new 4.4mm iEMatch is disappointing and will **** with the FR of super sensitive IEMs. But until it's confirmed that it the same system used in the Gryphon should you really be making that claim?

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu - Can you confirm the OI of the 3.5mm and 4.4mm jack withe the iEMatch engaged on the Gryphon? The manual has the OI as <1Ω but I assume that's without the iEMatch. Just trying to keep the signal to noise ratio of the thread down and a solid answer should help.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,194 of 3,871
does it have line-out mode for speaker?

In theory, anything with a line out could be hooked up to Gryphon's line in, no?

It has auto dedicated line out, both balanced and unbalanced, from the rear connectors. That's to say they behave as line in when connected to a DAC, and line out when connected to speakers/external amp.

What @gLer said is correct about questions like this.

2go is a WiFi streamer

Never thought I would see the Gryphon put in a stack like this, but very cool indeed!

And incredibly detailed and even going upward from there. This makes Gryphon very, very attractive for gaming and music alike.

Thanks! Agreed with my impressions all around.

After some back and forth with customer support they have verified that the IEMatch on the xDSD Gryphon is the same as the the 4.4 IeMatch which was released at the same time. This should clear things up.

This is correct! Sorry if I missed this earlier.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,196 of 3,871
super interested in getting this. just waiting for the mojo 2 to be announced to see how they compare.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,198 of 3,871
I get that. If portability is the goal, I think Gryphon is solid. For me, SQ was the goal, so I stuck with idsd micro signature.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,199 of 3,871
@iFi audio I've got a problem. Updated to the latest device firmware and to the latest BT firmware. Connected via usb to a RPi4 as Roon Endpoint, in preamp balanced mode connected to my active speakers, the sound suddenly stops reproducing from speakers, even if on Roon the track continue. Why???

Edit: it's the usb cable! I used another one because ifi standard is too short! With IFI cable it's ok. Is there another one longer suitable for Gryphon? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back