xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #256 of 3,839
I've asked internally about that, so I'll post any info as soon as we have some dates.

Our designs improve from one generation to another and xDSD Gryphon being a later release outperforms xCAN, but we look forward to feedback of those users who were able to compare them.
Which Burr-Brown dac chip is being used in Gryphon exactly?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #263 of 3,839
I bought mine at Super King with XBass+ but not XBass II in the advertisement....the sound is awesome

Oh I see what you mean, @iFi audio can you please shed some insight as to why the units here in HK have XBass+ instead of XBass II? As well as explain the differences?

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #265 of 3,839
How would you early owners stack the Gryphon vs DAPs in the $400-$1200 price range?

I have a Qudelix-5K and a Cayin N3Pro that I use in the exact same scenario I would use the Gryphon - a mix of wireless and wired. I was shocked to compare the 5K on aptX Adaptive to a Kann Alpha internally streaming Qobuz, on kilobuck iems, and not finding the A&K unit superior, just tuned differently. The same wasn’t true of the SE180, but that’s yet another leap in budget.

I was favorably impressed by the Hip-DAC recently, but was rather considering a DAP instead of a third device with the same limitations as the previous two (mostly needing a source!). That said, if it noticeably outperformed the 5K on SQ and the N3Pro on UX, I could go the Gryphon’s way and stick to my phone as an up-to-date source device.

To anyone who tested the wireless function, how stable/reliable is it? The N3Pro bugs out and needs a reset just from pausing and resuming a couple of times.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #266 of 3,839
Nice to see xDSD Gryphon with XBass+ as mine...

I enquired with our team about this!

Hi C-Hing, did you find that the volume will be back to -3db everytime when I have a new USB connect/re-connect?

The Gryphon does lower the volume when you turn it off/on every time - it is so folks don't accidentally blow their ears out, and the volume is always lower than they thought.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #268 of 3,839
It seems on Amazon listing the product pictures show both XBass || and XBass +. I wonder which one it comes with?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09H39DBY6

I wonder what's the difference between XBass+ and XBass II? iFi's marketing terms are confusing and frustrating (and not well explained). I still haven't figured out what S-Balanced means and how it improves on single-ended.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #270 of 3,839
It seems on Amazon listing the product pictures show both XBass || and XBass +. I wonder which one it comes with?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09H39DBY6

I wonder what's the difference between XBass+ and XBass II? iFi's marketing terms are confusing and frustrating (and not well explained). I still haven't figured out what S-Balanced means and how it improves on single-ended.

XBass II is simply an extension of XBass+ - XBass II has presence + bass. XBass+ doesn’t. Hope that helps guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back