xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #436 of 3,839
Similar implementation, but as I mentioned before it functions slightly differently as the volume level can be controlled from the source device, I don't remember my xDSD being like that.

I like the sound, no hiss, no "glare" that I can hear. I'm not going to try and compare it seriously to other DAC/AMP's I own because most of them output a frequency response that is essentially flat from 20Hz to 20Khz so as long as the amp has the power to drive the load and the impedances are properly matched, they all sound the same to me, not saying some people can tell a difference, just that I usually can't.

I can't really hear much difference between the xDSD and the xDSD Gryphon to be honest, as I mentioned before I would have been happy to stick with the original xDSD but this one has xCAN built in and better BT Codecs so I decided to "upgrade".
That was my concern, it will sound close to the original xdsd - it if were close to 300 pounds or so I might think about it but the pricing seems out of proportion. I can get rme adi 2 for almost the same money, or fantastic multibit Schiit stack with class a amplifier - I know it's not portable but looking at the components cost and other things I can't see where the value for money is in this if the sound quality is close to original xdsd (as it should be as the DAC chip and setup looks to be very similar )

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #437 of 3,839
That was my concern, it will sound close to the original xdsd - it if were close to 300 pounds or so I might think about it but the pricing seems out of proportion. I can get rme adi 2 for almost the same money, or fantastic multibit Schiit stack with class a amplifier - I know it's not portable but looking at the components cost and other things I can't see where the value for money is in this if the sound quality is close to original xdsd (as it should be as the DAC chip and setup looks to be very similar )

You compare a desktop DAC/amp unit (Adi-2 DAC FS) with a desktop DAC/amp stack (Schiit DAC and Schiit Amp) with a mobil DAC/amp unit (Gryphon).
Please compare apples with apples.
Which devices has all those features:
- mobil and desktop use
- SE and balanced headphone output
- MQA Full decoder
- small (fits in an trouser pocket)
- Bluetooth
- Enough power for normale full size headphones and possible to drive really sensitive IEM
- some sound adjustment possibilities (e.g. Bassboost or something like this)
- less than 600€

And now compare it with your mentioned examples again plz 😉

Sure, 600€ is not cheap. But please check what you get. Maybe you are just not the target group with your daily use case

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #438 of 3,839
You compare a desktop DAC/amp unit (Adi-2 DAC FS) with a desktop DAC/amp stack (Schiit DAC and Schiit Amp) with a mobil DAC/amp unit (Gryphon).
Please compare apples with apples.
Which devices has all those features:
- mobil and desktop use
- SE and balanced headphone output
- MQA Full decoder
- small (fits in an trouser pocket)
- Bluetooth
- Enough power for normale full size headphones and possible to drive really sensitive IEM
- some sound adjustment possibilities (e.g. Bassboost or something like this)
- less than 600€

And now compare it with your mentioned examples again plz 😉

Sure, 600€ is not cheap. But please check what you get. Maybe you are just not the target group with your daily use case

yes you can get these things from xduoo, xd05-bal for around 300USD - I haven't heard it so can't say how it sounds but generally it's well received by the community.

There's no way around this - i'm happy to pay big bucks for serious sound quality that deserves it. This is seems to be a rehash of xdsd with more stuff bolted on for more than double the price. In 2021 i'd expect more progress - better sound and jitter reduction, PEQ, class A etc etc... ofcourse I'm happy to eat my words if I ever hear it and it sounds much better to me. Keep in mind, 600 squids is a hefty sum, and in 2022 it needs to blow socks off with it's sound.

Sorry I'm being a grumpy fart! I just like ifi I want to be wowed again like the good old days and not feel like I'm seeing rehashes of older gear, with the same dac chip and same/similar circuity for lot more money.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #439 of 3,839
This is seems to be a rehash of xdsd

xDSD Gryphon shares some utilities and topology with xDSD, but it's an entirely new platform that's in fact much closer to micro iDSD Diablo.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #440 of 3,839
yes you can get these things from xduoo, xd05-bal for around 300USD - I haven't heard it so can't say how it sounds but generally it's well received by the community.

There's no way around this - i'm happy to pay big bucks for serious sound quality that deserves it. This is seems to be a rehash of xdsd with more stuff bolted on for more than double the price. In 2021 i'd expect more progress - better sound and jitter reduction, PEQ, class A etc etc... ofcourse I'm happy to eat my words if I ever hear it and it sounds much better to me. Keep in mind, 600 squids is a hefty sum, and in 2022 it needs to blow socks off with it's sound.

Sorry I'm being a grumpy fart! I just like ifi I want to be wowed again like the good old days and not feel like I'm seeing rehashes of older gear, with the same dac chip and same/similar circuity for lot more money.
I had posted my quick impressions earlier on Gryphon vs Yinlumei M400 Plus. If not known already, the latter uses an AKM4499 DAC but this model is replaced with M400E which uses ESS 9038Pro due to AKM factory fire.

I had high hopes for the Gryphon when i read the media release...looks to be more well built, iFi's reputation, the red circuit board which looks like a well engineered product. I thought it could replaced the M400plus. But as previously posted, the Yin Lu Mei wins.

I must admit the listening comparison was done within the first few hours of listening the Gryphon. I'm currently burning in till it hits around the 100+ hrs, then see if the Gryphon can redeem itself... HAHAA. Stay tuned

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #441 of 3,839
I had posted my quick impressions earlier on Gryphon vs Yinlumei M400 Plus. If not known already, the latter uses an AKM4499 DAC but this model is replaced with M400E which uses ESS 9038Pro due to AKM factory fire.

I had high hopes for the Gryphon when i read the media release...looks to be more well built, iFi's reputation, the red circuit board which looks like a well engineered product. I thought it could replaced the M400plus. But as previously posted, the Yin Lu Mei wins.

I must admit the listening comparison was done within the first few hours of listening the Gryphon. I'm currently burning in till it hits around the 100+ hrs, then see if the Gryphon can redeem itself... HAHAA. Stay tuned
You might get some improvements with burn in but I'll bet it won't sway your opinion massively. Keep in mind i find that ifi's products benefit massively from the iusb 3.0 thingy - i don't know if this is by design, but essentially my ifi nano idsd black transforms from distinctly mediocre meh sounding to an engaging, dynamic and analogue/natural sounding pocket rocket when plugged into iusb. Their xdsd was also similar although i prefer the idsd nano i think soundwise.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #442 of 3,839
You might get some improvements with burn in but I'll bet it won't sway your opinion massively. Keep in mind i find that ifi's products benefit massively from the iusb 3.0 thingy - i don't know if this is by design, but essentially my ifi nano idsd black transforms from distinctly mediocre meh sounding to an engaging, dynamic and analogue/natural sounding pocket rocket when plugged into iusb. Their xdsd was also similar although i prefer the idsd nano i think soundwise.
True, my sentiments too. I suspect there may be slight improvements from the burn-in, but not enough to trumiph over the YLM. Shall see how....

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #443 of 3,839

If you think the price/sound ratio is just not good enough for you - fine. Everyone of us can buy what he/she wants.
But just saying that Class A is bullsh** in a mobil device. Class A is getting hot and one of the worst technology for IEM, because it has a lot of noise and hum if you listen with it via IEM.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #444 of 3,839
If you think the price/sound ratio is just not good enough for you - fine. Everyone of us can buy what he/she wants.
But just saying that Class A is bullsh** in a mobil device. Class A is getting hot and one of the worst technology for IEM, because it has a lot of noise and hum if you listen with it via IEM.

No. Take a look at a Woo WA8, it's class A tube amplifier/dac - dead silent on 3.5mm, even with Andromeda. It's even more silent than ifi ican se.

As for heat, yes it gets hot, but there's ways around that with proper engineering - run class A on low power and move to AB when things get louder for example..
Discreet circuitry too would be nice too to move away from op amps (better sound) .. anyway I'm not engineer but things have moved forward a lot in last 5-10 years. I want something that will blow my socks off, not an expensive rehash

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #445 of 3,839

Does that device have a line-in feature, I was looking for a long time for a device that is portable, has a 4.4mm balanced line in that I could use with the balanced output from my N6ii+A02. This device ticked all the boxes, yes its spendy, but other portable balanced amps I looked at were $300-$1000, so I think Gryphon is overall good value for money.

What I didn't like about the price is that it is 599 in all the major currencies so we get ripped off again in the UK and can't even easily buy from Europe now, post Brexit.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #446 of 3,839
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come out as a troll - i've been a little grumpy lately with some products yes, but I've also praised innovation and good value ( Qudelix/RME ADI 2)

I've bashed Ifi a little when they released their very expensive red Diablo, and when they released the idsd signature, cut out some functionality, added balanced and bumped up the price a fair bit I did the same. The reception has been a little lukewarm for these products, and the Gryphon is going in the right direction (Ifi giving a lot of utility and reasonable sound), but the pricing is off again coming close to a premium boutique dac

Does that device have a line-in feature, I was looking for a long time for a device that is portable, has a 4.4mm balanced line in that I could use with the balanced output from my N6ii+A02. This device ticked all the boxes, yes its spendy, but other portable balanced amps I looked at were $300-$1000, so I think Gryphon is overall good value for money.

What I didn't like about the price is that it is 599 in all the major currencies so we get ripped off again in the UK and can't even easily buy from Europe now, post Brexit.

Yes UK sucks and shame on ifi on not balancing this out and making the pricing fair across.

if you just want to utilise line in this isn't it better to get an analogue only portable amp? For this price you can get some serious gear that can drive cans with authority - something class A or discreet design (I think there are some battery solutions).. these can properly grip headphone drivers and make them sing. Not saying the ifi is bad, it's just you're getting a fairly standard ( powerful - not necessarily authoritative) amplifier, which will give you the typical op amp based, good measuring but slightly soul less and strained sound (especially with HD600/HD800 etc)

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #447 of 3,839
Yes UK sucks and shame on ifi on not balancing this out and making the pricing fair across.

if you just want to utilise line in this isn't it better to get an analogue only portable amp? For this price you can get some serious gear that can drive cans with authority - something class A or discreet design (I think there are some battery solutions).. these can properly grip headphone drivers and make them sing. Not saying the ifi is bad, it's just you're getting a fairly standard ( powerful - not necessarily authoritative) amplifier, which will give you the typical op amp based, good measuring but slightly soul less and strained sound (especially with HD600/HD800 etc)
I'm all ears :) and open to suggestions but as far as portable balanced amps I couldn't find much out there at a reasonable price. I already have the Periodic Audio Nickel and its a great little amp but I wanted to try balanced out of the Cayin A02.

Edit:

Oh and balanced out from the A02 certainly does not disappoint.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #448 of 3,839
coming close to a premium boutique dac
It's actually a bargain in the world of premium DAPs, which is where I play. $1500 is your entry ticket, and it starts to get really good around the $2000 mark. $600 is what a high-end (but nothing fancy) IEM cable costs nowadays. Just some perspective.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #449 of 3,839
I'm all ears :) and open to suggestions but as far as portable balanced amps I couldn't find much out there at a reasonable price. I already have the Periodic Audio Nickel and its a great little amp but I wanted to try balanced out of the Cayin A02.

Edit:

Oh and balanced out from the A02 certainly does not disappoint.

If that is your budget and you want battery powered portable amplifiers only, first thing that comes to mind is this https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/portfolio/romi-audio-lessfox-bx2-plus/ - you can find it cheaper if you shop around. I haven't personally heard it but I read good things.

I have this one https://penonaudio.com/oriolus-ba300s.html but i don't use it much.

if you can stretch, get the Woo WA8 and stop reading headfi for the next 5 years.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #450 of 3,839
No. Take a look at a Woo WA8, it's class A tube amplifier/dac - dead silent on 3.5mm, even with Andromeda. It's even more silent than ifi ican se.

As for heat, yes it gets hot, but there's ways around that with proper engineering - run class A on low power and move to AB when things get louder for example..
Discreet circuitry too would be nice too to move away from op amps (better sound) .. anyway I'm not engineer but things have moved forward a lot in last 5-10 years. I want something that will blow my socks off, not an expensive rehash
I know the WA8, but it costs 3 times the price of the Gryphon and is not that mobil friendly.
Still, class A is nothing for mobil devices, it has to much disadvantages. There is are several reasons why almost no mobile product is based on class A.

You can have a different opinion than me, but in my opinion ifi is one of the brands who are offering again and again innovative products. Yes, you are right, the prices for new products are always increased compared to the former products. But which brand decreases the prices of the successor? Correct, non.
And I agree with you, the Diablo is definitely toooo expensive, but with the device is almost alone with his key strengths (power output and MQA Full Decoder with fully balanced design). But yes, ifi Micro iDSD Signature offers much more for less money is the the better choose in 3/4 of the cases.
But again, this is just my opinion. I am quite happy with almost every ifi products and I like almost all of them, even if some or to expensive (price performance ratio) for me personally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back