xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #391 of 3,834
I got my Gryphon yesterday and found out a strange thing. I used my FD7, plucked it into the front 4,4 jack and gave it a listen and thought "Hmm, this thing sound doesn't sound better than my Qudelix". Tested some digital filters and used the bit-perfect filter. Tested the IEMatch. Yea, better but not as good as the Qudelix. Then i got the idea to plug it into the rear 4,4 out. BOOM, sounds exactly like the Qudelix. But the question is, why does the front out sounds not as good as the rear out? Does it need a burn-in because it has more transistors, when i look to the PCB? Its very stange!
The rear 4.4 line out should have an output impedance of 200 ohm. It will definitely sound different, but better?

Edit: Is the IEMatch necessary for the FD7? Will be annoyed if the Gryphon isn't quiet enough for the FD7 without the iematch.

Looking forward to trying my own FD7 with the Gryphon when I finally get my hands on it (already bought one, but had it sent to my home while I'm overseas).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #392 of 3,834
I got my Gryphon yesterday and found out a strange thing. I used my FD7, plucked it into the front 4,4 jack and gave it a listen and thought "Hmm, this thing sound doesn't sound better than my Qudelix". Tested some digital filters and used the bit-perfect filter. Tested the IEMatch. Yea, better but not as good as the Qudelix. Then i got the idea to plug it into the rear 4,4 out. BOOM, sounds exactly like the Qudelix. But the question is, why does the front out sounds not as good as the rear out? Does it need a burn-in because it has more transistors, when i look to the PCB? Its very stange!
How do you define „not as good“ in this case? Can you describe a little more in detail?

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #393 of 3,834
I see where you all are coming from now and will ask for you all, again, for more clarification on why this is the case with the Gryphon.
Hi Sebastien, any updates concerning this matter?
As seen in MarkParity's post it seems that there are Gryphons in the wild that differ from the marketing material.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #394 of 3,834
I think a signal to rear line-out is coming directly from OV4627 pre-amp, and to front headphone-out goes from OV4627 through MAX97220, which has more power for low impedance load but more distortion. It's absolutelly normal when pre-amp has better sound for use with hi-class external.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #395 of 3,834
Interesting. Ultimately, I'm returning the xcan I got in an Amazon deal. I love the idsd signature. If the gryphon was an idsd signature with BT, then all over it. If not, then meh. Running ier z1r on xcan just didn't do it for me. The convenience if tws just beats it on the go. When I'm at home, sig wins all day

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #396 of 3,834
Interesting. Ultimately, I'm returning the xcan I got in an Amazon deal. I love the idsd signature. If the gryphon was an idsd signature with BT, then all over it. If not, then meh. Running ier z1r on xcan just didn't do it for me. The convenience if tws just beats it on the go. When I'm at home, sig wins all day
Fair enough, there isn't one product that's a perfect fit for everyone. It would be a lot simpler if there were.

If anyone cares, its easy to check if MQA is decoding properly.

Edit: MQA decoding works even if using a music player program like Foobar2000 as long as its outputting bit perfect @ 24bit per sample or above.

20211121_172900.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #397 of 3,834
The rear 4.4 line out should have an output impedance of 200 ohm. It will definitely sound different, but better?

Edit: Is the IEMatch necessary for the FD7? Will be annoyed if the Gryphon isn't quiet enough for the FD7 without the iematch.

Looking forward to trying my own FD7 with the Gryphon when I finally get my hands on it (already bought one, but had it sent to my home while I'm overseas).
After a burn-in i have to say it sounds much better. Bass is better textured, imaging is more pinpoint and airy and better detail retrieval. It sounds better than the 5K now.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #400 of 3,834
Bass was not as refined as from the 5K, imaging was a bit hazy. After burn-in it is much better.
Im inclined to believe this as I've experienced it in other products.
Yet, tbh if i have criticism on a new product, it rarely is the manufacturer to be blamed, it's the fact that digital is digital and we all listen to these same remasters and they always sound the same.
The real difference b/n apple 3.5 dongle and a £600 dac/amp is there, but its unrealistic to expect a miracle with every new product, they know it, we know it, but we all play the game coz it's fun😉🥂

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #401 of 3,834
I'd like to hear from someone's who's compared the Gryphon to a higher-end ($1500+) DAP. In terms of specs it should be a match, but only a direct AB (with Gryphon using USB in) will tell for sure. Using high-end IEMs via 4.4, if I can be picky.
I've got the modded WM1A which should do the trick nicely. If the OG Solaris can't pick'em apart I don't know what will.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #402 of 3,834
I tend to belive brain burn is real (adapting to a new toy) rather than actual burn in. I haven't ever seen any scientific evidence suggesting burn in exists. I think it's placebo. Inevitably, we have expectations of X, the shiny new thing doesn't do x, our expectations adjust subconsciously and suddenly shiny new thing does x after all. Still curious about gryphon as I think ifi makes good stuff. Hipdac outperformed m11 and the signature just sounds amazing. If I could somehow throw a bt adapter on the signature, I would. I tried that with Qudelix and hipdac, but qudelix doesn't have a line out. Only in. I also tried the hiny r3 and the a80 pro. Underwhelmed by both. Is what it is. Ultimately, as a portable solution, I haven't loved anything that's an additional device. I'm flying to Hawaii next next and just plan to use my signature on the plane and then put it back away. When I'm riding on the beach though, it will be tws. Just ordered the l7 pro, grade 220, and devialet gemeni to compare to Sony xm4 tws, which are really good already. The aonix 50 are great too if I want an overear, though they have weak bass

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #403 of 3,834
I tend to belive brain burn is real (adapting to a new toy) rather than actual burn in. I haven't ever seen any scientific evidence suggesting burn in exists. I think it's placebo. Inevitably, we have expectations of X, the shiny new thing doesn't do x, our expectations adjust subconsciously and suddenly shiny new thing does x after all. Still curious about gryphon as I think ifi makes good stuff. Hipdac outperformed m11 and the signature just sounds amazing. If I could somehow throw a bt adapter on the signature, I would. I tried that with Qudelix and hipdac, but qudelix doesn't have a line out. Only in. I also tried the hiny r3 and the a80 pro. Underwhelmed by both. Is what it is. Ultimately, as a portable solution, I haven't loved anything that's an additional device. I'm flying to Hawaii next next and just plan to use my signature on the plane and then put it back away. When I'm riding on the beach though, it will be tws. Just ordered the l7 pro, grade 220, and devialet gemeni to compare to Sony xm4 tws, which are really good already. The aonix 50 are great too if I want an overear, though they have weak bass
Try pairing the Signature with Topping BC3. Connect them with a short Optical cable and it should work well as a portable setup. I sold off my BC3 as I was not getting much use from it and because I could not find a short optical cable here but I did try the pairing with a generic optical cable and it played fine, not as good as wired (USB) though.

You might want to take a look at Lypertek Pureplay Z7.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #404 of 3,834
Try pairing the Signature with Topping BC3. Connect them with a short Optical cable and it should work well as a portable setup. I sold off my BC3 as I was not getting much use from it and because I could not find a short optical cable here but I did try the pairing with a generic optical cable and it played fine, not as good as wired (USB) though.

You might want to take a look at Lypertek Pureplay Z7.
Thats what I meant. Z7 not like. I'll Google the bc3. Thanks for the rec!

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #405 of 3,834
@iFi audio will there be a case for the gryphon? Like the hip dacs. From the reviews the Gryphon doesn’t seem to come with one correct?

Suffice it to say, we're aware that each our portable audio product should have some case, but there are no details about one for xDSD GRyphon at this time.

There are several members here on Headfi who have been asking for a 4.4mm iEMatch for a long time,

That's correct, we've been asked about a 4.4mm iEMatch dozens of times over last two years and we know many folks in here would find it very useful.

I would suggest if the rear output sounds better to you for some reason, it may be it has a better SINAD or whatever, we will have to wait for independent test results, then simply use that output.

xDSD Gryphon's rear 4.4mm used as a line input would make it a headphone amp for an external DAC.
xDSD Gryphon's rear 4.4mm used as a variable output would make it a DAC with volume control for an external amp.

Aside from high-end DAPs, does Gryphon match ifi Micro iDSD and Diablo SQ? Not power-wise, pure SQ with IEMs. If not then it won't be a match for high-end DAPs either.

xDSD Gryphon sounds different than micro iDSD Signature and quite similar to our micro iDSD Diablo.

In case people are interested the Gryphon supports UAC1. Tested on both PS5 and Switch.

@iFi audio It might be a good idea to put this in the marketing.

We've been already vocal about this for several weeks as several our DACs work with consoles, but thanks for noticing :wink:

As seen in MarkParity's post it seems that there are Gryphons in the wild that differ from the marketing material.

We'll have an update shortly after this weekend!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back