xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #3,436 of 3,871
Err .... I guess so, I have never seen that on my Gryphon, perhaps it is very early firmware which displays its own code ??

You can confirm the firmware by downloading the various stuff from ifi, pugging the Gryphon into a PC and opening the tool that allows you to view the firmware details.

That tool is the cpl file, control panel I guess, the firmware updates are done through the dfu file, device firmware update I assume, after downloading those and the appropriate firmware.

The bluetooth firmware updates reads like it is very complicated on the poorly written ifi instructions , it isn't. Download the Gaia app to your phone or tablet, download the bluetooth firmware to the same device, turn bluetooth on the device and the Gryphon, THEN DISCONNECT THEM, open the Gaia app, find the Gryphon, it will be called Hi Res LE or some such, select it, select the update option and point the Gryphon to the downloaded firmware, the update takes a few minutes so be patient.
I originally checked on PC which displayed the same firmware number, then confirmed on the device.
I just upgraded the firmware, I'll now do the bluetooth one.
I appreciate your guidance.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #3,437 of 3,871
Mar 15, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #3,438 of 3,871
I bought the Gryphon primarily for movies with my MDR-Z1R, I find the XBass and XSpace work well, so well I will probably end up using for music too.
I briefly owned the original xDSD when it came out but let it go for bluetooth issues, having to use my 4.4mm iems with an adapter, and a few other small reasons. The Gryphon has greatly improved upon everything I disliked about the xDSD.

20230315_193058.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,439 of 3,871
I really like the Gryphon. I never directly compared to the BTR7 I upgraded from, but find the XSpace and XBass and other specs make it a satisfying step up. The buttons and functions are easier to use and I love that dial for a quick change of volume. It's a good looking device too.

I share a wall with neighbours so a surround sound system isn't feasible. Spatial audio through the Gryphon with XBass and XSpace to my MDR-Z1R is maybe the best I'll get for movies (for closed-back).

The other day I used the Gryphon with my IER-Z1R with the XBass on and was thrilled with that bass rumble. Technically it's probably frowned upon but I had the time of my life having found a quick and easy boost without tampering with the EQ (for which I am an amateur).

20230317_185756.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,440 of 3,871
I really like the Gryphon. I never directly compared to the BTR7 I upgraded from, but find the XSpace and XBass and other specs make it a satisfying step up. The buttons and functions are easier to use and I love that dial for a quick change of volume. It's a good looking device too.

I share a wall with neighbours so a surround sound system isn't feasible. Spatial audio through the Gryphon with XBass and XSpace to my MDR-Z1R is maybe the best I'll get for movies (for closed-back).

The other day I used the Gryphon with my IER-Z1R with the XBass on and was thrilled with that bass rumble. Technically it's probably frowned upon but I had the time of my life having found a quick and easy boost without tampering with the EQ (for which I am an amateur).

20230317_185756.jpg
How do you feel about this vs the WM1A? I've got the walkman mod on mine and was able to get it tuned to exactly my preference. An exceptional DAP.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #3,441 of 3,871
How do you feel about this vs the WM1A? I've got the walkman mod on mine and was able to get it tuned to exactly my preference. An exceptional DAP.
Technically I'm not good at comparisons, and as I've been mostly using every night for
movies I haven't had enough music time to be able to compare to my 1Z.
I was wondering myself, if you remove the dap components (screen, memory etc) of the Walkman, how would they compare for pricing? and for sound?
I've always had Sony Walkmans and have risen through the tiers over the years so it has been easier to notice the improvements, with each model. The differences between the 1A and 1Z are subtle, but noticeable with more listening time. I'll try to give some impressions when I get some time to sit down and compare.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #3,442 of 3,871

Tried to find a smaller Gryphon alternative for travel and checked also BTR7.
BTR7 is one of the WORST and overrated pieces of gear I have ever experienced. It's laggy as hell, freezes, doesn't sound good, 2-3 hours on a charge is a joke regarding it's a fairly new model.
Nothing, including Mojo2 sounds as engaging and versatile as Gryphon with XSpace and XBass/Presence - a happy user since it came out.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #3,443 of 3,871
BTR7 is one of the WORST and overrated pieces of gear I have ever experienced. It's laggy as hell, freezes, doesn't sound good, 2-3 hours on a charge is a joke regarding it's a fairly new model.
Nothing, including Mojo2 sounds as engaging and versatile as Gryphon with XSpace and XBass/Presence - a happy user since it came out.
Fiio products are much cheaper in my country than the competing brands like Shanling and iFi so I had always gone with the Fiio models. Apart from the weak battery life I hadn't encountered the lag, and I was only using for movies. I think I was just happy to finally have 4.4mm on all my devices when I upgraded from the 2.5mm balanced BTR5.
I'd wished I'd gone with the Go Blu, but I think I would have always wanted the Gryphon, luckily I sold something recently that gave me the green light to get it.
What did you end up with as a smaller travel option?

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #3,444 of 3,871
Fiio products are much cheaper in my country than the competing brands like Shanling and iFi so I had always gone with the Fiio models. Apart from the weak battery life I hadn't encountered the lag, and I was only using for movies. I think I was just happy to finally have 4.4mm on all my devices when I upgraded from the 2.5mm balanced BTR5.
I'd wished I'd gone with the Go Blu, but I think I would have always wanted the Gryphon, luckily I sold something recently that gave me the green light to get it.
What did you end up with as a smaller travel option?
The best for my taste and IEMs I have are Violectric Chronos and Questyle M15 - both dynamic and punchy.
iFi GoBar would be great (Xbass!) if no power issues with some phones. Needs a lot of power via USB and my iPhone 12 Pro Max couldn't deliver - sometimes every few seconds a drop off.

But Gryphon is worth every penny :) Remember to upgrade the firmware.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #3,445 of 3,871
BTR7 is garbage. Take a look at Dethonray SG1, it's a bit smaller than Gryphon. There's also small Aune M1P bt version.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,446 of 3,871
does any compared gryphon sound vs ifi hip dac2 ,xduoo XD05 bal or xduoo xa-10 ?also im see at topping G5. focal stellia headphones to use for home only,no need bluetooth or portable. just connect wired for laptop listen Tidal master songs.im like neutral sound . similar or same from my hifiman ananda.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #3,447 of 3,871
does any compared gryphon sound vs ifi hip dac2 ,xduoo XD05 bal or xduoo xa-10 ?also im see at topping G5. focal stellia headphones to use for home only,no need bluetooth or portable. just connect wired for laptop listen Tidal master songs.im like neutral sound . similar or same from my hifiman ananda.
I compared the xdsd gryphon to the hipdac2, chose the xdsd gryphon, even if it was almost double the price. The hip dac not bad, but compared to the gryphon it soundend thin and way waaayyy less musical. Maybe not day and night but it is coming close.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #3,448 of 3,871
I compared the xdsd gryphon to the hipdac2, chose the xdsd gryphon, even if it was almost double the price. The hip dac not bad, but compared to the gryphon it soundend thin and way waaayyy less musical. Maybe not day and night but it is coming close.
I had both the Gryphon and hipdac2 and for sound only I give a VERY slight nod to Gryphon. It of course has all the extra stuff. Its xBass was also done better. In my opinion if you don't care about the BT, secret sound sucks and the hipdac2 can drive your headphones I would probably lean that way especially if budget would be stretched. I ended up returning both and getting the Mojo 2 and Poly combo and am much happier, although I spent a lot more too of course.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #3,449 of 3,871
I had both the Gryphon and hipdac2 and for sound only I give a VERY slight nod to Gryphon. It of course has all the extra stuff. Its xBass was also done better. In my opinion if you don't care about the BT, secret sound sucks and the hipdac2 can drive your headphones I would probably lean that way especially if budget would be stretched. I ended up returning both and getting the Mojo 2 and Poly combo and am much happier, although I spent a lot more too of course.
It is personal preference didn’t like the mojo2, not even the hugo2 and I honestly gave it a try, but after a burson reference and violectric… it s*ucked bad to my ears.

The hipdac really sound way less than the gryphon, to my ears. The difference is big. I don’t care about bluetooth, but still prefer the gryphon over the mojo2

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #3,450 of 3,871
im want "portable" desktop dac/ampbest musical for my focal stellia 32ohm headphones with best balanced sound dac. always connected to laptop. no need bluetooth or battery as plus. how is better gryphon vs signature vs diablo or see at xduoo xd05 plus,xd05 bal, topping G5 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back