xDSD Gryphon: birth of a โ€˜head-fiโ€™ legend
Mar 5, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #3,422 of 3,871
I think that's for a slightly different Gryphon issue, in any case Gryphon was plagued with so many launch issues that IMHO the early ones should have been recalled. Most of the issues have now been fixed in the F/W but the product was definitely rushed to the market in the first place.

If the battery/power supply issues haven't been fixed in later revisions of Gryphon then Ifi, what can I say that would be very poor on your part.

I don't know if they are different problems (no details provided);
in my case the device was charged and in use, at a certain point it stopped 'playing'.

So I turned it off, and it didn't turn back on.

Apart from these 2 malfunctions, I have had no other problems.

With regards to the units placed on the market in the first period, I had heard of a firmware problem which produced an uncontrolled and dangerous increase in volume.
I have not heard of any other problems.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #3,423 of 3,871
Has anyone else compare the Gryphon 3.5m vs new Macbook Pro 3.5m? I just bought a pair of Meze 109 Pro's and comparing it, noticing the Macbook is able to get significantly louder and more fuller sounding than the Gryphon, kind of shocked. Is the 3.5m on the gryphon that much underpowered compared to the built in Mac's 3.5m port? Need to switch to 4.4m and see how big a difference it makes.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #3,424 of 3,871
Has anyone else compare the Gryphon 3.5m vs new Macbook Pro 3.5m? I just bought a pair of Meze 109 Pro's and comparing it, noticing the Macbook is able to get significantly louder and more fuller sounding than the Gryphon, kind of shocked. Is the 3.5m on the gryphon that much underpowered compared to the built in Mac's 3.5m port? Need to switch to 4.4m and see how big a difference it makes.
I don't have a Macbook Pro but there's definitely a noticeable difference in sound between 3.5mm & 4.4mm Outputs just like any other Amp with Balanced Circuitry inside. It's not just about power either cause the difference is there even with sensitive IEMs.

I don't know how powerful the Macbook is but just make sure that IEMatch is not enabled on the Gryphon and also you most definitely need to invest in Balanced cables for use with the Gryphon.

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #3,425 of 3,871
I don't have a Macbook Pro but there's definitely a noticeable difference in sound between 3.5mm & 4.4mm Outputs just like any other Amp with Balanced Circuitry inside. It's not just about power either cause the difference is there even with sensitive IEMs.

I don't know how powerful the Macbook is but just make sure that IEMatch is not enabled on the Gryphon and also you most definitely need to invest in Balanced cables for use with the Gryphon.
Wattage of the 4.4 is way higher on the gryphon. I you want to use full size headphones, with gryphon, you need to use the 4.4 balanced. Only then you get the full 1000mw, the 3.5 is only 300mw I think

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #3,426 of 3,871
So got a 4.4m for my 109 pro and did a comparison.

3.5mm output
-Gryphon = have to run the volume around 80% or above to get adequate listening levels
-Macbook pro = right around 50-60% volume levels before getting similar adequate levels. Think the Macs have some high impedence adjustment it factors, pretty cool

4.4m output
-Gryphon = now the volume is around 70 - 75% to get the adequate listening levels. So definitely improvement over the the 3.5m on gryphone but still surprised how much more volume i need to crank on the gryphon versus just using my standard 3.5m on the macbook.

Though the Mac has more fuller sound the Gryphon is way more detailed and resolving. Either way the Dac/Amp upgrade bug is now officially started to upgrade the Gryphon :) hope iFi got something in the cooker coming soon.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #3,428 of 3,871

3.5mm output
-Gryphon = have to run the volume around 80% or above to get adequate listening levels
-Macbook pro = right around 50-60% volume levels before getting similar adequate levels. Think the Macs have some high impedence adjustment it factors, pretty cool

4.4m output
-Gryphon = now the volume is around 70 - 75% to get the adequate listening levels. So definitely improvement over the the 3.5m on gryphone but still surprised how much more volume i need to crank on the gryphon versus just using my standard 3.5m on the macbook.

Though the Mac has more fuller sound the Gryphon is way more detailed and resolving. Either way the Dac/Amp upgrade bug is now officially started to upgrade the Gryphon :) hope iFi got something in the cooker coming soon.

I would not put much on the apparent levels of volume between Gryphon and Mac Book.

The Gryphon volume ramps up slowly at first then more and more abruptly at the upper part of the range.

You may have been at 75 for normal listening but anything below about 50 is probably nearly useless quiet and 90 would be very substantially louder.

Just because Mac Book shows 50% and the Gryphon indicates 75 out of a total of 106 including Turbo range I donโ€™t believe that means anything of value.

I looked up the new Mac Book specs, it shows up to 1.5 volts maximum output into impedances below 150 ohms and up to 3 volts maximum over 150. That is not a lot, the Gryphon voltage specs are a lot higher than that.

Regardless, as you said, the Gryphon has other strengths in sound quality.

IfI has a new Diablo X in the works.

I am listening to my Diablo with DCA Aeon Noire at the moment, it has a lot more volume potential than the Gryphon and I suspect far more than your Mac Book as well, again, if that really matters.

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #3,429 of 3,871

3.5mm output

4.4m output

I would not worry too much about volume level, as for sound signature, if you still like the fuller sounding Mac and want to upgrade then Shanling H7 or Diablo X are probably going to be better upgrades.

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #3,430 of 3,871
CA Honedew, sounding great.
DC772FCD-0D11-4738-A609-0A619B32954F.jpeg

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #3,431 of 3,871
I just received my secondhand unit, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the sound with my MDR-Z1R, until I realised the iem match was engaged and turned it off! I used to own the xDSD and liked the sound but ended up selling for several reasons that the Gryphon has improved upon.
I checked the firmware and it is v.106
Can someone please assist me with which firmware I need to update to?

20230314_184858.jpg
Can I just update to v1.61 and then do the bluetooth update v2.16? Are they separate or does the v2.16 include the v1.61 standard update. Apologies, I haven't got my head around it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #3,432 of 3,871
I just received my secondhand unit, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the sound with my MDR-Z1R, until I realised the iem match was engaged and turned it off! I used to own the xDSD and liked the sound but ended up selling for several reasons that the Gryphon has improved upon.
I checked the firmware and it is v.106
Can someone please assist me with which firmware I need to update to?

Can I just update to v1.61 and then do the bluetooth update v2.16? Are they separate or does the v2.16 include the v1.61 standard update. Apologies, I haven't got my head around it.

The XMOS v1.61 is the main firmware and is separate to the bluetooth firmware v2.16.

You need to do both updates separately to have the Gryphon fully up to date.

The bluetooth firmware has to be done via bluetooth with the Gaia client app.

I don't recall the various improvements but there are some very worthwhile ones if your unit is on an old firmware which it is if it is 1.06 ..... maybe you meant 1.60 ?

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #3,433 of 3,871
The XMOS v1.61 is the main firmware and is separate to the bluetooth firmware v2.16.

You need to do both updates separately to have the Gryphon fully up to date.

The bluetooth firmware has to be done via bluetooth with the Gaia client app.

I don't recall the various improvements but there are some very worthwhile ones if your unit is on an old firmware which it is if it is 1.06 ..... maybe you meant 1.60 ?
Excuse the horrendous picture. From my understanding this is the firmware?

20230314_213919.jpg

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #3,434 of 3,871
I don't know if they are different problems (no details provided);
in my case the device was charged and in use, at a certain point it stopped 'playing'.

So I turned it off, and it didn't turn back on.

Apart from these 2 malfunctions, I have had no other problems.

This... Sounds like a big problem. The unit I used to have had a channel completely die a couple months out of warranty, unfortunately.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #3,435 of 3,871
Excuse the horrendous picture. From my understanding this is the firmware?

Err .... I guess so, I have never seen that on my Gryphon, perhaps it is very early firmware which displays its own code ??

You can confirm the firmware by downloading the various stuff from ifi, pugging the Gryphon into a PC and opening the tool that allows you to view the firmware details.

That tool is the cpl file, control panel I guess, the firmware updates are done through the dfu file, device firmware update I assume, after downloading those and the appropriate firmware.

The bluetooth firmware updates reads like it is very complicated on the poorly written ifi instructions , it isn't. Download the Gaia app to your phone or tablet, download the bluetooth firmware to the same device, turn bluetooth on the device and the Gryphon, THEN DISCONNECT THEM, open the Gaia app, find the Gryphon, it will be called Hi Res LE or some such, select it, select the update option and point the Gryphon to the downloaded firmware, the update takes a few minutes so be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back