xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 28, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #3,196 of 3,835
Got my 3rd replacement Gryphon a few days ago. No battery issue for now. It is from a new batch. (-:

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #3,198 of 3,835
Got my 3rd replacement Gryphon a few days ago. No battery issue for now. It is from a new batch. (-:
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me twice, shame on — shame on you. Fool me third time— you can't get fooled again.

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #3,199 of 3,835
Some of these Gryphon batteries are as finicky as Donald Trump's "hair".

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #3,201 of 3,835
what's wrong with gryphon battery?

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #3,202 of 3,835
what's wrong with gryphon battery?
The design is poor IMHO it's a two cell li-ion battery with two different capacity cells and no balance tap. It is possible for the charging circuit to fail to charge the battery if one cell becomes over discharged. It's possible that later Gryphons have a fix for this issue though.

In my case I added a balance tap under one end cap so if it won't charge I simply give it a boost with an external charger.

I have a very early 1st batch Gryphon and in the time I've owned it I've had to boost charge it three times so if I hadn't done this I may well have been on my 4th Gryphon by now. The first is still going strong though and I think I'd buy another if it blew up completely too, I really like it and there is nothing else out there IMHO that is as good for my use case.

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #3,203 of 3,835
In my case, it probably was a batch issue. First one charged very quickly and drained quickly. The second one charged at normal speed. But the battery drained when it was switched off within a few days.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,204 of 3,835
Anyone here tried VE EXT with Gryphon?

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,205 of 3,835
I also own the RS2 and NX7 and have played around with pairing the RS2 with both the Gryphon and NX7. Yes, RS2 wins for me - more lush, smoother treble, more warm, fuller sounding than the Gryphon.

20220907_222421.jpg20220907_223038.jpg

And have tried triple stacking the Gryphon and NX7 (but not with the RS2). In triple stacking, the Gryphon does get the much needed help in power from the NX7.

20220710_222704.jpg
Which empire ears iems are they?

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #3,206 of 3,835
This is the main reason I sold mine. It was not a bad sounding product and usability/funtionality is near perfect but coming from the micro iDSD Signature, it lacked that magic I liked from iFi's older sound signature.

Yes, I noticed that too. I remember using the A30 Pro in my testing and comparing Gryphon, RU6, Mojo 2 & EF400 as DACs and both the RU6 (no Line-Out) & Gryphon lacked black background.

I don't know if it's because of the iPurifier tech built into the Signature or the dual DACs but to me, the Signature is the best portable product so far interms of sound quality. When compared to my EF400, the Signature lacks the organic timbre (by a very small margin) and could use a bit more weight but I would be perfectly happy with it's sound otherwise.

Hopefully, the RS2 will fit nicely in my portable setup.
Hello, although Im also new to this hobby but reading a lot now a days on it. Getting Mest Indigo and Gryphon in few weeks. Just putting my thought here for your advise please. Previously I was thinking to buy RS6 but then thought in the almost same money as RS6, I can buy Gryphon and hifiman EF400 (its R2R). For portable purpose I will use Indigo with Gryphon. Please advise if EF400 is good for planer headphones, as I'll use headphones only at home so I can use it with desktop DAC. Im getting Arya V3 stealth as well. Im selling all previous gear (all are beginners level) and getting the highest possible gears I can afford now. Although after getting Gryphon, I can wait for few more months and see if I can but even save enough to buy better desktop DAC/AMP then EF400, so please advise in case you have any suggestions.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #3,207 of 3,835
Hi to all. I recently got Gryphon. I am a bit surprised by the fact that the balanced output (front) is ONLY marginally louder than the single ended one. I did measure the SPL via an SPL meter - not very scientific but fairly indicative I guess. In order to achieve around 80db SPL in single ended I have the volume level to around 85, while in balanced output around 80-82. Is this to be expected?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,208 of 3,835
Hi cross post from IDSD SIGNATURE thread and turned out that Signature isn't suitable for IEMs without IEMATCH.
Same story for Gryphon and Go Bar?

Hi chaps
I am still looking for some bedside rig to be paired with my Denon AH-D9200 and VE EXT.
Diablo was sounding super but actually hardly usable without digital headroom in Roon or IEMATCH which I don't want to use.
The Ifi headphone calculator is actually showing any! IFI device to be unsuitable without IEMATCH.
What are your guys ecperiences using non sensitive IEMs like my VE EXT respectively sensitive DD Overear with 23 Ohms using IDSD SIGNATURE economy mode without IEMATCH or some Gryphon for example.
Is it usable without channel imbalance?
Thx!

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #3,209 of 3,835
Hi cross post from IDSD SIGNATURE thread and turned out that Signature isn't suitable for IEMs without IEMATCH.
Same story for Gryphon and Go Bar?

Hi chaps
I am still looking for some bedside rig to be paired with my Denon AH-D9200 and VE EXT.
Diablo was sounding super but actually hardly usable without digital headroom in Roon or IEMATCH which I don't want to use.
The Ifi headphone calculator is actually showing any! IFI device to be unsuitable without IEMATCH.
What are your guys ecperiences using non sensitive IEMs like my VE EXT respectively sensitive DD Overear with 23 Ohms using IDSD SIGNATURE economy mode without IEMATCH or some Gryphon for example.
Is it usable without channel imbalance?
Thx!

Gryphon has a slight hiss with my Shanling ME700 from the 4.4mm jack but nothing from the 3.5mm which has plenty of power for them so I use that.

The ME700 are 1xDD and 4xBA, 18 ohm and 106db, these are the most sensitive IEM I have. I have several others that are less sensitive and there is no hiss at all from the 4.4mm or the 3.5mm with those.

Pretty much the exact same situation with the Go Bar.

I would imagine that if your IEM are genuinely quite insensitive you will not have any noise and I would doubt that you would hear noise with all but the most extremely sensitive headphones.

The Diablo is silent, no noise with any IEM I own for comparison since you have Diablo as well for comparison.

The Gryphon doesn't have any channel imbalance since it isn't a conventional analog potentiometer nor does the Go Bar.

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #3,210 of 3,835
Gryphon has a slight hiss with my Shanling ME700 from the 4.4mm jack but nothing from the 3.5mm which has plenty of power for them so I use that.

The ME700 are 1xDD and 4xBA, 18 ohm and 106db, these are the most sensitive IEM I have. I have several others that are less sensitive and there is no hiss at all from the 4.4mm or the 3.5mm with those.

Pretty much the exact same situation with the Go Bar.

I would imagine that if your IEM are genuinely quite insensitive you will not have any noise and I would doubt that you would hear noise with all but the most extremely sensitive headphones.

The Diablo is silent, no noise with any IEM I own for comparison since you have Diablo as well for comparison.

The Gryphon doesn't have any channel imbalance since it isn't a conventional analog potentiometer nor does the Go Bar.
Thx! Very helpful
So I understand Gryphon and Go Bar are using digital and no analogue volume, therefore no channel imbalance?
IEMs and low sensivity headphones can be used at lower volume wheel position without IEMATCH and without channel imbalance?
Hissing can occur with higher hissing floor on Go Bar relative to Gryphon?
SQ on Gryphon slightly higher than Go Bar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back