xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
May 10, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,101 of 3,839
The HE1000 are rated at 90dB/mW sensitivity (which is pretty low), so it is better to have more power in this regard.
I did some measurements on the Gryphon and can tell you iFi power specs are a little overblown, the real ones being lower especially on high impedance loads.
The HE1000 is 35ohms, so impedance is certainly not a problem, especially given how flat it is on planar magnetics (it doesn't vary with frequency).

If I were in your position, I would choose the iDSD Signature because of the higher power output.
In my case, I chose the Gryphon especially because of the Bluetooth feature, as I use that a lot. But if I were not to use it, then there are a lot more options out there.

Also do keep in mind that the iDSD Signature is bigger than the Gryphon, doesn't have USB-C, doesn't have 3.5mm jack, doesn't have a screen.

Note that I don't own the Signature, this is just a technical perspective and what I would do if I were to be in your situation.
The Gryphon can certainly drive the HE1000, but the Signature will have a lot more reserve (helpful if you tend to listen at loud volumes). With Gryphon you'll likely need to crank the volume close to max to get loud volumes.
EDIT: With my AudioTechnica MSR7b, I tend to go to 90% volume when listening loud and these are 101dB/mW, so a lot more sensitive.
In my opinion the iDSD Diablo should also be considered, as it has much lower THD+N compared to both Signature and Gryphon.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #2,102 of 3,839
Currently considering iFi Gryphon vs. iFi iDSD Signature.

Caveat — I don’t actually plan on using Bluetooth much, if at all.

Plan on driving HE1000, and using it either at desktop with my laptop, or as a “sandwich” with my iPhone.

Could anyone who owns/or had experience with both share any suggestions?
I own both, sound quality is better on the Signature, not by much but still it's more refined and authoritative. I prefer warmth in my music and the Signature adds just that while the Gryphon is more Neutral & Smooth (too smooth at times with my gear, GTO helps but not much) which might pair better with some gear.

Reasons to get Signature:
1. Power/Drives Headphones better.
2. Sounds Better
3. Looks
4. Battery Life

Reasons to avoid Signature:
1. Large (never found it an issue personally)
2. Channel Imbalance at lower volume
3. No Pre-Out or Line-Input

Reasons to get Gryphon:
1. Portable
2. Bluetooth
3. Looks
4. Sound (with IEMs)
5. Decent Power
6. Noise with sensitive IEMs

Reasons to avoid Gryphon:
1. Battery
2. Bugs & Minor Issues (many have been fixed now)
3. Noise with sensitive IEMs

For HE1000 get the Signature.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,103 of 3,839
Currently considering iFi Gryphon vs. iFi iDSD Signature.

Caveat — I don’t actually plan on using Bluetooth much, if at all.

Plan on driving HE1000, and using it either at desktop with my laptop, or as a “sandwich” with my iPhone.

Could anyone who owns/or had experience with both share any suggestions?

In my opinion the iDSD Diablo should also be considered, as it has much lower THD+N compared to both Signature and Gryphon.

Great points here!

I own both, sound quality is better on the Signature, not by much but still it's more refined and authoritative. I prefer warmth in my music and the Signature adds just that while the Gryphon is more Neutral & Smooth (too smooth at times with my gear, GTO helps but not much) which might pair better with some gear.

Reasons to get Signature:
1. Power/Drives Headphones better.
2. Sounds Better
3. Looks
4. Battery Life

Reasons to avoid Signature:
1. Large (never found it an issue personally)
2. Channel Imbalance at lower volume
3. No Pre-Out or Line-Input

Reasons to get Gryphon:
1. Portable
2. Bluetooth
3. Looks
4. Sound (with IEMs)
5. Decent Power
6. Noise with sensitive IEMs

Reasons to avoid Gryphon:
1. Battery
2. Bugs & Minor Issues (many have been fixed now)

For HE1000 get the Signature.

Thanks for your points here as well! Both hit the mark.

May 11, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,104 of 3,839
"Did you know iFi also has a Discord server? We're excited to be kicking thing up here! Come join the community to talk with iFi fans about iFi products in a unique live format that only Discord can provide. We look forward to seeing you there!

Join the server through this invite: https://discord.gg/CD47feXCR8"

May 12, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,105 of 3,839
Got a serious problem with my Gryphon today. While I was listening to some music, the audio suddenly stopped and I got an error message on Windows stating that the USB device was not recognized. I switched to Bluetooth to check if I could still connect to my phone but the Gryphon didn't connect. Factory reset has no effect. And I also can't enter Bluetooth pairing mode. The screen is still functional, though.

The Gryphon was connected to the computer using a Type-C-to-C cable and its charging port was connected to the external charger at that time.

May 12, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #2,106 of 3,839
Got a serious problem with my Gryphon today. While I was listening to some music, the audio suddenly stopped and I got an error message on Windows stating that the USB device was not recognized. I switched to Bluetooth to check if I could still connect to my phone but the Gryphon didn't connect. Factory reset has no effect. And I also can't enter Bluetooth pairing mode. The screen is still functional, though.

The Gryphon was connected to the computer using a Type-C-to-C cable and its charging port was connected to the external charger at that time.

Hi,

Do any of the other modes work?

Can you open up a support ticket with us here, as well?

https://support.ifi-audio.com

May 12, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #2,107 of 3,839
Hi,

Do any of the other modes work?

Can you open up a support ticket with us here, as well?

https://support.ifi-audio.com
I don't have any device to use S/PDIF mode and haven't checked the Line In mode, but USB and Bluetooth do not work anymore.

I have already thought about installing the firmware again but since Windows won't recognize the Gryphon, and Bluetooth is not working, I don't know what to do. I will bring it to the dealer to have them check, but I don't expect them to find anything about the issue except exchange it with a new one.

----------------------
Update: Line In mode still work

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #2,108 of 3,839
Give a little more details about the configuration. Was the computer a laptop or a desktop ? If laptop was it operating on battery or on charger ?
The external charger was plugged into the same mains or a different one ? What type of charger was it ?

I am suspecting a potential voltage difference between the grounds of the USB-C connectors, rendering a high current through the ground plane of the PCB which damaged something.

I will bring it to the dealer to have them check, but I don't expect them to find anything about the issue except exchange it with a new one.
This is what will happen most likely. That's why it would be useful to know a bit more info so we can avoid similar problems.
As a personal opinion, I wouln't use the Gryphon with both USB-C connectors plugged in (especially on different sources).
If using it on the PC, I just turn on the Dual Port charge and leave the charging one empty.

May 13, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #2,109 of 3,839
Give a little more details about the configuration. Was the computer a laptop or a desktop ? If laptop was it operating on battery or on charger ?
The external charger was plugged into the same mains or a different one ? What type of charger was it ?

I am suspecting a potential voltage difference between the grounds of the USB-C connectors, rendering a high current through the ground plane of the PCB which damaged something.

This is what will happen most likely. That's why it would be useful to know a bit more info so we can avoid similar problems.
As a personal opinion, I wouln't use the Gryphon with both USB-C connectors plugged in (especially on different sources).
If using it on the PC, I just turn on the Dual Port charge and leave the charging one empty.
I used the Gryphon with my laptop, and the laptop was plugged in. The charger used the same outlet. It's a 4-port 100W charger with PD.
Before I used the Gryphon like you described: using only the data cable, with Dual Port Charge turned on, just switch to using 2 ports recently and the Gryphon was gone :frowning2:

May 13, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #2,110 of 3,839
I used the Gryphon with my laptop, and the laptop was plugged in. The charger used the same outlet. It's a 4-port 100W charger with PD.
Before I used the Gryphon like you described: using only the data cable, with Dual Port Charge turned on, just switch to using 2 ports recently and the Gryphon was gone :frowning2:
Gone! What do you mean it flew off back to Egypt? :wink:

May 13, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #2,112 of 3,839
Hey guys. I was looking around for a portable source, mainly daps under 1k range., but then i came across and tried Gryphon, and actually quite liked the sound. The only way i see it as portable option is obviously via BT on LDAC.

Unfortunately for some reason My LG v60 does not want to be friends with it.
It recognizes Gryphon and connects to it but i cannot hear any sound going out. Also Gryphon screen does not indicate it is connected on LDAC codec, instead its bt logo on screen is just flashing. Which now hints that Gryphon doesnt want to be friends with my V60.. (What a drama queen...)

I have my V60 forced to connect to LDAC via developers settings. And it all worked with ifi blu, K5, and UP5.

Also that same Gryphon unit connected without issues to other Android phones on LDAC.

Looks like it is something to do with V60 more than Gryphon. But just wanted to know if anyone had similar issues and managed to solve them.

I will be picking up a unit to play around and see if i can connect it. As i did not have enough time to do it yesterday.

Its a promising unit. Just if i cant get it connected via LDAC it will be useless to me.

May 13, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #2,113 of 3,839
I always use the Gryphon with both ports (the second one connected just when battery is low) and I never had any issue.
Sorry for yours 😢

May 13, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #2,114 of 3,839
Hey guys. I was looking around for a portable source, mainly daps under 1k range., but then i came across and tried Gryphon, and actually quite liked the sound. The only way i see it as portable option is obviously via BT on LDAC.

Unfortunately for some reason My LG v60 does not want to be friends with it.
It recognizes Gryphon and connects to it but i cannot hear any sound going out. Also Gryphon screen does not indicate it is connected on LDAC codec, instead its bt logo on screen is just flashing. Which now hints that Gryphon doesnt want to be friends with my V60.. (What a drama queen...)

I have my V60 forced to connect to LDAC via developers settings. And it all worked with ifi blu, K5, and UP5.

Also that same Gryphon unit connected without issues to other Android phones on LDAC.

Looks like it is something to do with V60 more than Gryphon. But just wanted to know if anyone had similar issues and managed to solve them.

I will be picking up a unit to play around and see if i can connect it. As i did not have enough time to do it yesterday.

Its a promising unit. Just if i cant get it connected via LDAC it will be useless to me.
Welcome to my world. I flagged this as an issue months ago. What needs to happen is for iFi to give us the option to disable AptX Adaptive in firmware. Failing that, this 'glitch' with the V60 (and a few other phone models) won't let you use LDAC with Gryphon. Interesting you managed to use LDAC with GO blu? I have the same issue there.

@Sebastien Chiu @iFi audio

May 13, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #2,115 of 3,839
Welcome to my world. I flagged this as an issue months ago. What needs to happen is for iFi to give us the option to disable AptX Adaptive in firmware. Failing that, this 'glitch' with the V60 (and a few other phone models) won't let you use LDAC with Gryphon. Interesting you managed to use LDAC with GO blu? I have the same issue there.

@Sebastien Chiu @iFi audio
Hey pal. So is it working for you with other codecs? I did not have time to play around too much. And as i said i forced V60 to search only on LDAC in dev mode. So i have not tried it on other codecs.
Will spend some time on it today.

Are there any alternatives for gryphon? Like something similar size, power and BT? Not just IFI i mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back