xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Feb 20, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,651 of 3,839
IMG_20220220_190906A (Groß).jpg

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,652 of 3,839
Right - how about comparisons with the Mojo?

Hello i am new to this and thinking about this or the Mojo 2. What do you think? I have a pair of Focal Stellia's (4.4mm), beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Gen) 4.4, Hifiman he400se 3.5 (but will get 4.4), also a pair of UE IEM's. I would be using a laptop or phone to drive the music primarily.

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,654 of 3,839
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,656 of 3,839
Hello, I am a NOOB and I am thinking about this or the Mojo 2. I have a pair of Focal Stellia's (4.4mm), Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Gen) 4.4, Hifiman he400se 3.5 (but will get 4.4), also a pair of UE IEM's. I would be using a laptop or phone to drive the music primarily, and I prefer over-the-ear headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,657 of 3,839
Hello, I am a NOOB and I am thinking about this or the Mojo 2. I have a pair of Focal Stellia's (4.4mm), Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Gen) 4.4, Hifiman he400se 3.5 (but will get 4.4), also a pair of UE IEM's. I would be using a laptop or phone to drive the music primarily, and I prefer over-the-ear headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you care about balanced (and it sounds like you do), then I think this is the clear choice. It's more functional, it's balanced, and it's more affordable. I haven't heard them both, but I did own the original Mojo and while it's hard to compare (especially since it was years ago that I heard it), the Gryphon and Mojo are probably similar in terms of sound quality. The Gryphon just offers you more.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,658 of 3,839
@iFi audio is there any disadvantage to connecting headphones to the line input/output slots? I have been connecting my headphones to this side for ergonomics for the past couple of days. Just don’t wanna give myself a disservice if there’s a disadvantage to doing that.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,659 of 3,839
@iFi audio is there any disadvantage to connecting headphones to the line input/output slots? I have been connecting my headphones to this side for ergonomics for the past couple of days. Just don’t wanna give myself a disservice if there’s a disadvantage to doing that.
I would like to know if anyone has noticed anything different as well?
I feel like connecting to the back on either 3.5 or 4.4 seems to have less power than in the front next to the knob. Unfortunately I'm out of town without the Gryphon so i can't keep testing it, but that's the impression I got from using the rear jacks from what I remember.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #1,660 of 3,839
I would like to know if anyone has noticed anything different as well?
I feel like connecting to the back on either 3.5 or 4.4 seems to have less power than in the front next to the knob. Unfortunately I'm out of town without the Gryphon so i can't keep testing it, but that's the impression I got from using the rear jacks from what I remember.
This is a dedicated line out.
No current gain, just simple voltage driven line output.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #1,662 of 3,839
If you care about balanced (and it sounds like you do), then I think this is the clear choice. It's more functional, it's balanced, and it's more affordable. I haven't heard them both, but I did own the original Mojo and while it's hard to compare (especially since it was years ago that I heard it), the Gryphon and Mojo are probably similar in terms of sound quality. The Gryphon just offers you more.
It matters to me because normally balanced is better but isn't a selling point to the mojo 2 that there is no need for balanced?

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #1,663 of 3,839
It matters to me because normally balanced is better but isn't a selling point to the mojo 2 that there is no need for balanced?
Actually Chord designed all of their DACs optimized for SE (from Mojo all the way to Dave) hence they say that balanced does not improve on the Chord sound. But for most other balanced DACs/Amps, usually the balanced connection is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back