XCAN for DT-880s the way to go?
Dec 16, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 20
Not in the least. The Beyer 880 is much less bright than the Grado 325. I originally had the Grado before moving to the Beyer.

Dynamic v Dynahi v M[size=xx-small]3[/size] comes down to implementation more than design. My HeadAmp Reference is a good measure darker than the SFT Dynahi PP. In comparison the Dynahi was more light weight with a glow to it where the Reference has incredible low level retrieval, a stronger bottom end and more relaxed sound. The HeadAmp Lite was actually a lot like the Dynahi PP so in my opinion its more about implementation than design. Any of them is a safe bet if built to your liking.

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Not that I'm aware of. To my ears the Aria sounds quite different to the HA-2 (MkII). That said, I even preferred the HA-2 (MkI) to the EMP for the DT 880. On the other hand, considering the sonic difference between HA-2 (MkII) and Aria, I wouldn't dare to make any premature statement about the synergy between Aria and DT 880. Nonetheless, the Aria is an extremely good amp in my book.

From the Meier Audio web site:
"The ARIA has ... a very detailed and natural sound. It approaches the HA-2 in sound quality ..."
I'm sorry if I was reading too much into that comparison! Your opposite view of the relative merits of the HA-2 and EMP just goes to show how subjective such judgments really are and drives home the inescapable truth that someone else's advice is not a good substitute for one's personal experience. The former keeps this web site busy but the latter is what makes us happy (or otherwise).

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
From the Meier Audio web site:
"The ARIA has ... a very detailed and natural sound. It approaches the HA-2 in sound quality ..."

I think Jan's statement refers to the quality of sound, not the characteristic.

Quote:

I'm sorry if I was reading too much into that comparison!

Never mind!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 20
have had MF3 W/x-psu; sold it on this board, too. It is a fabulous product, cabaple of resolving inner detail and showing transparency from low bass to upper treble, and without grain. Reason I sold it, was impossible to define lack of soul: it did everything I could think of very well, but did not grab me by the you know whats; sort on like the difference between eating at top place in London versus Milan. Cheaper and in many ways lesser and flawed amps let through the emotion of the music more than the MF, which impresses with the "perfection" of what it does.

It simply boiled down to my finding everything right, objectively, with the MF, but enjoying music more through often lesser products, a good example being the Woo3 or GL Lite.

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
6Moon's X-Can review compared it to the Sudgen Headmaster and claimed that the MF is nearly its match...not too shabby for a $400 tube amp
biggrin.gif

Where can I find that review? I couldn't see it in the reviews sticky here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back