XBOXERS:Best Controllers? Flying/racing games?
Nov 20, 2004 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

KYTGuy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello there - My wonderful daughter has just made her first self earned money big purchase : an XBox. It came with one controller, and she wants to get other ones - are there better controllers available?

What are the names of some good flying games, racing games?

Thanks to you in advance for your help.

The Big Ugly Guy

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Hello there - My wonderful daughter has just made her first self earned money big purchase : an XBox. It came with one controller, and she wants to get other ones - are there better controllers available?

What are the names of some good flying games, racing games?

Thanks to you in advance for your help.

The Big Ugly Guy

The standard S controller is the best ive found. You can also get converters to use PS2 (or other) controllers on the xbox.

but for racing and flying, youd be better off with a PS2 (gran turismo 3/4 and ace combat 4/5).
Project Gotham Racing 1/2 is decent, if not great.. Forza looked good, but ive heard very disappointing reports about the demo.

Crimson skies was kind of fun as well. A bit too arcade-y to me. dunno if there are any other flying games.

Not really flying, but panzer dragoon orta is a great game (rail shooter).
And if thats close enough, get a mod chip so you can play shikigami no shiro (castle of shikigami), an JPN only shmup.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 24
My current favorite racer for the x-box is Burnout3.
The crashes are insane.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as controllers, the S-Type is still the best. (comes with the x-box)
If you want wireless, the best one is Logitech's RF 2.4g model.
It works even if the xbox is locked away in a cabinet and the response is really good.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 24
Depeneds on what kind of racing games you want. For example Need For Speed Underground 2 is very fun arcade racing game where you have to trick out your cars and race in illegal races. Project Gotham 1/2 are VERY different from NFSU, in Gotham you have regular cars and phisics of the care is more life like. The best way to find out what you like the most is to go to Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and rent some games. They cost about 5 bucks for 5 days. After you find what type of games you like the most, buy it.

For controller, i bought my xbox about 4 month after it came out so i have the orriginal big controller, i am so used to it that i cant play with the new ones. My is big and fits my hand like a glove. If you like the one that came with your xbox, just buy another Controller S.
Hope this help.

Nov 20, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
As far as controllers, the S-Type is still the best. (comes with the x-box)
If you want wireless, the best one is Logitech's RF 2.4g model.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't found a better controller than Microsoft's controller-S that comes with the XBOX; it is ultra sturdy and of very high quality. However, two excellent options for wireless are the Logitech and the MadCatz Lynx. I own both and would probably have to give the edge to the Logitech. It is so nice to not worry about fooling with cords, and the response time is excellent--it feels just like playing with a wired controller.

If you go for the Logitech, get the newer model. It is smaller and uses two AA's instead of four. The older model is huge and might be good for people with big hands, but some people with smaller hands find some of the buttons hard to reach.

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 24
Personally I stick with the MS controller S. For racing games I like the Project Gotham Racing series and both Rallisport Challenge's.

I'd really like to see first party wireless controllers.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I'd really like to see first party wireless controllers.

You mean like the Wavebird for GameCube? That controller is flat out the best wireless controller I've ever used. Build quality and response time are excellent. I can't believe Sony and MS haven't come out with FP wireless controllers like Nintendo did.

Seriously though, if you want to go wireless with your XBOX, check out the Logitech. It's a really solid controller and has awesome battery life.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
You mean like the Wavebird for GameCube? That controller is flat out the best wireless controller I've ever used. Build quality and response time are excellent. I can't believe Sony and MS haven't come out with FP wireless controllers like Nintendo did.

Seriously though, if you want to go wireless with your XBOX, check out the Logitech. It's a really solid controller and has awesome battery life.

Yep, exactly like the Wavebird, I've got 4 of those for my Cube. Best wireless controller I've ever used.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 24
Logitech wireless = best controller out there. I have the big old one and it works damn well. Planing on buying the newer one... eventually.

Rallisport Challenge 2, Project Gothem Racing 2, Burnout 3.

All different gameplay styles and all great games.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 24
I have the Logitech wireless for both the XBox and PS2. Great ergonomics, response times, and battery life.

Driving games - PGR2, Colin McRae 2004 or 2005, TOCA Race Driver2, Need For Speed series, and Rallisport Challenge2. Be careful with RS2, a lot of the discs weren't reading properly and would tend to lock up during the games. It was talked about at XBox.com

Flying games - Crimson Skies is great fun especially online.

I wish someone would resurrect the Colony Wars series that was very popular on PS.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 24
I have to agree the stock S is the best you can get for cheap. Logitech's wireless are even better, but they're also quite pricey. A word of advice, though, don't skimp and buy cheap replacements. I bought some $15 no-names and they absolutely suck. Buttons stick, thumbsticks are too tall and awkward, and they feel cheezy overall. It's a shame, because they've got awesome handgrips. Better than stock in that respect.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 24
I was just looking into the Logitech wireless controllers when I remembered why I don't have them already, Xbox Live. The Logitechs (like all wireless xbox controllers so far) don't have the card slot for the Live headset.
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I was just looking into the Logitech wireless controllers when I remembered why I don't have them already, Xbox Live. The Logitechs (like all wireless xbox controllers so far) don't have the card slot for the Live headset.

Pah. Sounds like a hardware mod project to me. Although it could be the wireless device doesn't have enough bandwidth to deliver voice communication, although that seems unlikely. I can't imagine voice-only needing much more than 32kbps or so.

That being said, I still don't understand the draw to Live. You have to pay a fee, for crying out loud. If I paid good money for the hardware (OK, I didn't... I scavenged trash cans and dumpsters for Dew points and got over 800 of 'em in for the recent DewU contest....), I'm not about to pay money just to play the bloody games online.

Besides, it's much more fun to go over to a friend's house and whoop 'em in person. You can link up to 4 Xboxes, after all. 16 isn't too bad in Halo.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich

Besides, it's much more fun to go over to a friend's house and whoop 'em in person. You can link up to 4 Xboxes, after all. 16 isn't too bad in Halo.

Well Live is the same thing, only your friends are in other parts of the world. I can play my friend who loves in North Carolina, my family members in the U.K. my brother 2 hours away, and so on. All for a measly $4.16 a month.

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 24
I suppose. I still don't like the idea of paying M$ any more than I have to. $50 a game is a rip as it is, especially when the licensing is so insanely restrictive.

Besides, when you've got stuff like XBConnect available, why pay? Or how about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back