XBox, PS2 Killer?
Dec 16, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #46 of 62
Holy crap! They owe me $$$ i have a subscription till september! Now i know the world is doomed, this was the last decent magazine out there!

George
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

fjhuerta said...

But I don't think Nintendo has ever had a game such as the Gran Turismo series, or the 2K Sports series (Tennis 2K2 & NBA 2K2 are terrific!), or Quake III, or Unreal Tournament. It seems Nintendo simply doesn't care about that market (I think the only game that seemed to be focused on a mature audience was Goldeneye on the 64)

Somehow, I don't believe realistic racing game + sports games + fps = one market. They're entirely separate genres, in my book. And what about Gamecube games such as SSX Tricky, All-Star Baseball 2002, FIFA 2002, Madden 2002, and Eternal Darkness? All these games are forthcoming on the Gamecube in the near future.

Dec 16, 2001 at 6:16 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

gloco said...

Now i know the world is doomed, this was the last decent magazine out there!

That it was. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I'm just as disappointed.

Dec 16, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #49 of 62
I can't think of one decent publication out there now...i still cant believe they closed down...i'm shocked
frown.gif

George

Dec 16, 2001 at 6:59 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

And what about Gamecube games such as SSX Tricky, All-Star Baseball 2002, FIFA 2002, Madden 2002, and Eternal Darkness? All these games are forthcoming on the Gamecube in the near future.

I didn't know a thing about them.

I was just talking about Nintendo's tendency towards the younger crowd. I clearly remember that, since the Genesis days, Sega was the preferred sports platform and Nintendo catered to the kids market. Ditto with the Playstation and the N64. Why would they switch strategies now?

BTW... guess how much I paid for Tennis 2K2 & NBA 2K2? $18 USD... it doesn't get much better than this
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 7:33 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Ahhhhhhhhhh! they kept jigglyPuff in SSBM? WHY? She is the most useless character ever. IT GOES TO SLEEP AS A MOVE!

I hate him, but he does have the coolest move- it can eat another character and steal all of his moves... Or was that kerby... i always get them mixed up...

I think all of the original characters still have the same moves, though it takes some time to adjust to the new controller...

Quote:

As for my comment on the GC catering to the young crowd... don't get me wrong. I'm 27 and I enjoy way too much playing Mario Tennis & Mario Party with my 14 year old cousins. But I don't think Nintendo has ever had a game such as the Gran Turismo series, or the 2K Sports series (Tennis 2K2 & NBA 2K2 are terrific!), or Quake III, or Unreal Tournament. It seems Nintendo simply doesn't care about that market (I think the only game that seemed to be focused on a mature audience was Goldeneye on the 64).

Well, as i said earlier, i would never play quake 3 or unreal on any console, no matter how good it is- nothing can replace keyboard/mouse, high res monitor, and A3D + senns...

Sega does make the best sports games, its a shame that Dreamcast is gone (its the only modern console i have/will buy)... The 2k_ serries is WAY better than EA sports and anything else there is... But now sega will release those games on all three platforms (GC, xbox, PS2), so they're all equal... well, i'd expect it to run better on the xbox and gamecube, because i don't think sega is gonna bother optimizing the game for the sony hardware...

Grand turismo is sweet, nothing else can match that yet... But i never buy a system (esp at that price) for one game...

Quote:

I was just talking about Nintendo's tendency towards the younger crowd. I clearly remember that, since the Genesis days, Sega was the preferred sports platform and Nintendo catered to the kids market. Ditto with the Playstation and the N64. Why would they switch strategies now?

I agree, many of the games for GC are quite childish... but stuff like super smash brothers is incredibly FUN! And even if they do have those types of games, i'm sure that all manufacturers have realized that they can't afford to target only one small segment of the market...In order to make money, competing against 2 other systems, they really need to get all gamers... THe star wars game is aimed at a more mature audience, and it is amazing...

Basically, while xbox + ps2 may be slightly better for "mature" games, neither can come close to a computer for those games... and for "fun" games, gamecube is way better...

Quote:

BTW... guess how much I paid for Tennis 2K2 & NBA 2K2? $18 USD... it doesn't get much better than this

guess how much i paid for:
2k football
2k basketball
2k1 basketball
virtua tennis
doa2
marvel vs capcom 2
soul calibur
powerstone
powerstone2
SF3

well, now i kinda feel bad because its people like me that killed the dreamcast
frown.gif

oh yeah, one more thing... its funny that the X-box is supposedly aimed at the "mature" audience, yet one of their main launch titles is dead or alive 3...

Dec 16, 2001 at 7:42 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

oh yeah, one more thing... its funny that the X-box is supposedly aimed at the "mature" audience, yet one of their main launch titles is dead or alive 3...

And a hot video game chick bouncing her size D breasts while kicking ass isn't mature enough for you???
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by thomas

well, now i kinda feel bad because its people like me that killed the dreamcast
frown.gif

<soapbox>
Shame on you!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

</soapbox>

Anyway, I don't think that was the reason the DC died such an untimely death. It's even easier to pirate a PSX game, and witness the staying power of that platform! Basically, the DC was DOA (and I don't mean "Dead or Alive"). Even back on 1999, people knew this was very probably going to be the last platform Sega ever released. I bought it a couple of days after it was announced the DC would be discontinued.

Why did I do it?

Well, there's gameplay. I think 3D, cell shading, etc., are overrated. I can easily play Combat or Pong on a *real* Atari 2600 and have hours of fun with my friends. I still get excited about a complete Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game on my Intellivision Lives! emulator. And I happened to *love* Sonic Adventure on the DC. So far, it hasn't disappointed me, and I can get new games for $8.00-$9.00 USD.

One other strange thing... I think the PSX is the most boring gaming platform I've ever owned. My cousin's N64 was way better for multiplayer gaming (as I said, I loved Mario Tennis & Mario Party).

As I've said before, I'm a weirdo...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 7:34 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Ahhhhhhhhhh! they kept jigglyPuff in SSBM? WHY? She is the most useless character ever. IT GOES TO SLEEP AS A MOVE!

Um, sorry.....I hope Fox still has his reflecto-thingy, I was such a person on his stage with it
evil_smiley.gif

I so want to play now, why did my freind let his N64 get stolen? WHY?!

Yep, JigglyPuff sucks
tongue.gif
Fox still has his deflector shield...

More information can be found here

Quote:

Originally posted by fjhuerta
I think the only game that seemed to be focused on a mature audience was Goldeneye on the 64.

How about Conker's Bad Fur Day?
Or did you ever try Super Smash Brothers? that game is for all ages
biggrin.gif

BTW, with companies like Sega making games for the GC I think their focus will become wider... they've got the Resident Evil series too, it is a step in that direction.

Quote:

Originally posted by thomas
I hate him, but he does have the coolest move- it can eat another character and steal all of his moves... Or was that kerby... i always get them mixed up...

I think all of the original characters still have the same moves, though it takes some time to adjust to the new controller...

That was Kirby.. .
Most of the original characters have kept most of their moves, but some changes have been made - for more info you might want to check out the link above..

Quote:

Originally posted by fjhuerta
One other strange thing... I think the PSX is the most boring gaming platform I've ever owned. My cousin's N64 was way better for multiplayer gaming (as I said, I loved Mario Tennis & Mario Party).

As I've said before, I'm a weirdo...
smily_headphones1.gif

From the experience I've had with the PS I'd have to agree with you... you're not the only weirdo around here
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #56 of 62
Graphics:
Xbox looks like turd
PS2 looks like ass
Gamecube looks pretty

Games:
Xbox has games that are worth 1.5 yen
PS2 has phenominal games (GTA3, Devil May Cry, etc)
Gamecube has childish games

Ergonomics:
Xbox has the best controller I've tried
PS2 has the worst controller
Gamecube does it get any lamer?

Conclusion:
I still love my Dreamcast, go team Sega! But I wouldn't mind having a PS2.

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #57 of 62
Starcraft is by far the best game ever made. Man, back in the day, I was so addicted to it, it literally caused my grades to slip an entire letter grade in all of my classes. Pray, just pray, for a Starcraft 2. Why couldnt they make a Starcraft 2 instead of a Warcraft 3? Well anyway, just go out and buy the game. Its awesome fun and you wont be able to stop playing it for a very long time. Dont say I didnt warn ya!

Apr 15, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #58 of 62
Guess what???

I bought a GAMECUBE!!! (((Raging LOL at my former comments))).

I looked closely at the PS2. Jaggies? JAGGIES?!? On a next-gen system?!?!? Jaggies belong in the PS1, thank you very much. Not even the N64 had them!

XBox? Same price as the PS2, seemed like a good deal.

But I bought the GC, and I don't regret it. Sega is bringing over its sports franchise. Rogue Leader is the best game I've played in ages. I'm looking forward to buying Soccer Slam and have some Mario Party-kind of fun with my friends. And it was cheaper thank the other consoles. And it has better graphics than the PS2. And it is small and cute. And...

Well, you get the idea
biggrin.gif
I, a doubter, bought the thing and it RAWKS!

Apr 15, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba

Um, sorry.....I hope Fox still has his reflecto-thingy, I was such a person on his stage with it
evil_smiley.gif

I so want to play now, why did my freind let his N64 get stolen? WHY?!

Actually they gave a few more moves to jigglypuff (as well as all the characters) and she can be formidable... my brother tends to kick my ass a lot with her, wouldn't say she is uselss. Her sleep move is insanely powerful, 2 shots from it will kill you (sometimes 1 shot), if you can pull it right.

I use Roy though, because I love swords
smily_headphones1.gif
(though my brother keeps kicking my ass with Zelda/Shiek though, grrrr)

As for Sega, we got Sonic Adventures 2, pretty fun game... I still think Sonic 2 for the Genesis was the best sonic ever.

Apr 15, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by chych

As for Sega, we got Sonic Adventures 2, pretty fun game... I still think Sonic 2 for the Genesis was the best sonic ever.

I own Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast, and it makes my jaw drop every time I see it. It's blazingly, insanely fast, detailed, and fun.

Has anyone compared the GameCube and the Dreamcast versions of the game? I'm really curious as to how the Dreamcast stacks up against the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back