XBox, PS2 Killer?
Dec 10, 2001 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Well Iv'e had a chance to briefly play some Xbox games, and not
surprising many games for initial release and not anything great

BUT......Dead or Alive 3 is the best fighter game ever as well as best graphics ever! This is very impressive and shows what is possible for Xbox, imagine what will be produced one year from now when designers have experience using this format......PS2 is in trouble here!

ALSO.......Halo is the best first person shooter ever! This is the first console shooter that can compete with computer, I have seen no PS2 shooter that can compare (metal gear solid 2 comes closest).

I am not sports fan but magazines love Xbox Madden 2002 & NFL Fever 2002 football.

Any Xbox owners want to comment about consoles future vs PS2?
Any lucky dude play Xbox on HDTV, resolution up to 1920x1080 OMG! (only certain games capable of this plus $20 HDTV pack)

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 62
Quote:

BUT......Dead or Alive 3 is the best fighter game ever as well as best graphics ever! This is very impressive and shows what is possible for Xbox, imagine what will be produced one year from now when designers have experience using this format......PS2 is in trouble here!

I agree with you on the graphics (I'm more into the 2d Street Fighter tag team style games so those get my ratings for funnest fighting game
biggrin.gif
). I haven't even played it but if the in store demos were true to life and weren't being hyped up by special TVs or something, than DOA3 is definitely the sweetest fighting game I've seen. The body motions are so incredibly fluid and lifelike, it's awesome. Seeing that one chick with the white hair flow through her fighting style was total eye candy.

Of course, the only reason I really want to play that game is cause she kicks high.
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 62
I dunno, i've been turned off to consoles lately, after Final Fantasy 7 it all started going downhill from there when it comes to gameplay. Sure, great graphics are nice, but it seems that companies put too much time into how fps, resolution, pps, and how many different light sources they have, its too technical. Gimme SMB3 or Romance of the three kingdoms! All in their 16 color bliss!
cool.gif

As for Xbox? Dont care, its too big, too expensive, maybe if lotsa cool games come out for it (HINT: STRATEGY)

Playstation 2? I have a DVD player already (after FF7 i really dont care for anything PSX).

Gamecube? Probably the most interesting right now since they have the resident evil franchise as an exclusive now, and the remake of RE1 looks stunning and i'm sure they'll tighten up the controls so it'll play better, this is a total remake from ground up, when its released this is when i'll buy the GC!

George

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

DarkAngel said...

Dead or Alive 3 is the best fighter game ever as well as best graphics ever!

Survey says... BZZZT, wrong answer! I'll definitely give you the best graphics part, it is gorgeous on a good tv. But, (all in IMO, of course) Soul Calibur is BY FAR the best fighting game ever. Ultra-smooth gameplay, great character balance and moves depth, I could go on and on. Actually, the smooth gameplay is what I feel pretty much every other 3d fighting game lacks. Tekken probably comes closest to achieving it. Ironically enough, most 2d fighters I've played do have this smooth gameplay.

I have three main dislikes about DOAs gameplay: The reversal system is ridiculously easy to pull off; the attack sequences feel disjointed, they just don't flow that well; and what really annoys me is, yeah you can move around in 3d, but you can't move around somebody and evade attacks, because the attack instantly lines up to the defender. I gotta admit that DOA's tag-team mode is really fun, though. And that pause button gets alot of use, too.
redface.gif

As far as the consoles itself, I'll get a Gamecube shortly, as it's the only console that has games I really want to play. DOA doesn't count, I just want to drool at that.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 62
To echo what DHWilkin said, Soul Calibur is the best. I'm playing the XBox right now, and DOA3 may have slightly better graphics, but its missing the Soul.... buy a dreamcast for $50 to play that game!
I think the PS2 is better right NOW than anything else. Play MGS2 or Devil May Cry or FFX or ICO and you'll see why. I have no doubt that it'll have some real competition soon, but right now it is unbelievable... and it only got that way in the past two months. Halo is awesome, and rougue squadron is good (on the game cube) but nothing compares to some of the current releases on the PS2.
That said, I think that Metal Gear Solid 2 has been a big disappointment for me because my expectations were so high. I really miss my dreamcast.

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 62
So gloco and dhwilkin will be playing a lot of Super Smash Brothers Melee in the future?
biggrin.gif

SSB is such an amazing party game...

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 62
Xbox has alot of potential... but right now I am enjoying my PS2.
Picked up Grand Theft Auto III the other day, this game rocks. Even my roomate who never plays video games is into this one.
oh yeah... GranTurismo 3 is amazing too. It is the main reason I got the PS2 . I am a Turismo addict.

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 62
I'll be getting a Gamecube... My brother just got one, and we've been playing Smash Brothers, an amazing game. This launch reminds me of the good ol' days, NES and SNES. I think it can only get better from here for Nintendo. Oh, and Dreamcast for $50 is an awesome deal too, and get a game called Ooga Booga, great multiplayer game! Very fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 62
Super Smash Bros. rocks! Nothing beats having the cutest characters from Nintendo beating the crap out of each other!
smily_headphones1.gif

Super Monkey Ball also is a fantastic multiplayer game. It's a monkey. In a ball. Bowling, golfing, flying, racing, fighting, pooling... it's Monkey madness! Who's a happy monkey?

Dec 12, 2001 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 62
Sigh.

This is one of the reasons I have a PC. The newest console is an N64 and it isn't touched. I purchased a PSX entirely for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Civilization III, the best game ever made.
Deus Ex
Max Payne
Quake 3
Allegiance
Unreal Tournament
Starcraft
Master of Orion
System Shock
Operation FLashpoint
Ghost Recon
Rainbow Six
Sim City 3000
Star Trek: Starfleet Command (1/2/Orion Pirates)
Alice

Those are reasons to not get a console and have a PC to play games instead. Well, Allegiance undersold and there isn't much of an online community for it anymore, but it was a really sweet game
frown.gif

The Xbox, at the moment is about as bad of a buy as a Gamecube. Neither system has as many games as the PC, or the PS2, or even the Mac (Out of those I listed I think 4-5 have Mac versions). The PS2 dosen't exactly have loads of games out either, and none of the three main consolses out now have a good variety of five star games, whereas with the PC you can play all of the new games and most of the old games.

If I had to pick a console right now, it would be a hard decision between a Xbox and a Gamecube, it could go either way. I wouldn't get a PS2, if only because I loathe Sony, almost more then MS, more then Apple, and about as much as AOL.

DOA3 is a nice looking fighting game, but IMO the best is Street Fighter 3, played in an arcade. Much better then playuing against the crappy AI or a random person that is visting that probably sucks at the game. Much more fun to hold the arcade machine against all the crappy players that think they can beat you. Even more fun to play like a button masher for the first round, then you can scare the crap out of them when you kill em with a couple quick combos
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
I purchased a PSX entirely for Final Fantasy Tactics.

That was probably the best game i played on PSX.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back