Xbox ONE
May 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #31 of 80
This isn't true. It wasn't true for any generation before, and it won't be true for this one. They probably wont look different enough to base your decision on which console to get based upon them, but they will be different.

Actually with the 360 and PS4 games that run on both are almost exactly the same. If anything the graphics are better on the Xbox because developers usually port it to the PS3.

May 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #32 of 80
Quote:
Actually with the 360 and PS4 games that run on both are almost exactly the same. If anything the graphics are better on the Xbox because developers usually port it to the PS3.

They were indeed usually a bit better on the 360. But they weren't the same, pretty close but also pretty different in certain ways. Look at some comparisons between screenshots of the newest Deus Ex game for example, even the coloration on things is different.

It's probably going to be the opposite this time around with PS4 games having a slight edge. Devs have given a lot of praise to PS4's architecture, calling it a developer's dream and whatnot.

May 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #33 of 80
May 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:
Think of it this way, beats is a fashion accessory first and a headphone last. Well this new XBOX is a cable box first and a gaming console last.

Beats were made for mainstream 
XBOX One is made for casuals 

I'm fine with those new features as long as gaming is in the forefront, but from what I've seen so far, gaming is not their number one priority, and it should be since it's suppose to be a gaming console.

I'm with 7S on this one. Microsoft decided to implement these features in the One to broaden its appeal, and to take Kinect as far as they could with their current technology.
Since E3 is the big gamer's expo, I think MS knew they couldn't focus on the "casual" aspects of the One in their E3 presentation. So they decided to hold a keynote, as close to E3 as they could and still getting everyone's attention (and having time to refine their E3 presentation after hearing people's reactions to the keynote). Now gamers are pissed that they weren't the center of attention at the keynote, but I think if MS dropped the keynote and squished all the TV and Kinect stuff into the E3 presentation gamers would be even more pissed, because that would leave little time and focus for what E3 is all about: gaming. Never in the keynote did they say games was no longer the focus, or say that gaming was less of a focus with the new console. They just plain didn't mention games. That is, they mentioned NFL and CoD. If you think about it, who would be excited for games from EA sports and a new CoD? Casual gamers. I think many casual gamers got very terribly excited by this keynote. Forza I think was just to confirm it off the bat, so everyone would know that One would launch with a new Forza.
I could be wrong, and MS could spend all their time on E3 focusing even more on TV and apps and whatnot. But I highly doubt it, especially after the reaction the keynote got. If they do though, I'm getting a PS4. So far I'm still leaning towards the One.

tl;dr: the keynote was for the casual market. E3 will be for the gamers.

May 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #35 of 80
Beats is a headphone first. Xbox One is a game console first. That it can do other stuff don´t make it less capable as a gaming console. Beats can´t do anything else than act as a headphone AFAIK though :wink:

It´s a bit like those that believe a tv is worse because it has smarttv and 3D functionality. 

MS will not focus on the tv functionality on their E3 presentation. That will be for their core audience. You know those that buy a gaming console to run games :wink:

May 27, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

I'm with 7S on this one. Microsoft decided to implement these features in the One to broaden its appeal, and to take Kinect as far as they could with their current technology.
Since E3 is the big gamer's expo, I think MS knew they couldn't focus on the "casual" aspects of the One in their E3 presentation. So they decided to hold a keynote, as close to E3 as they could and still getting everyone's attention (and having time to refine their E3 presentation after hearing people's reactions to the keynote). Now gamers are pissed that they weren't the center of attention at the keynote, but I think if MS dropped the keynote and squished all the TV and Kinect stuff into the E3 presentation gamers would be even more pissed, because that would leave little time and focus for what E3 is all about: gaming. Never in the keynote did they say games was no longer the focus, or say that gaming was less of a focus with the new console. They just plain didn't mention games. That is, they mentioned NFL and CoD. If you think about it, who would be excited for games from EA sports and a new CoD? Casual gamers. I think many casual gamers got very terribly excited by this keynote. Forza I think was just to confirm it off the bat, so everyone would know that One would launch with a new Forza.
I could be wrong, and MS could spend all their time on E3 focusing even more on TV and apps and whatnot. But I highly doubt it, especially after the reaction the keynote got. If they do though, I'm getting a PS4. So far I'm still leaning towards the One.

tl;dr: the keynote was for the casual market. E3 will be for the gamers.

The presentation got me really pumped for the console actually. I would say I'm a hardcore gamer, but I was hoping to see more about the console anyway. The speed in which it switches between apps is amazing! It has really good specifications and I am definitely a fan of the Blu-Ray player. I feel like I'm the only one still excited for the release of the Xbox One, but that will change after E3.

May 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #37 of 80
Hope no one minds if I jump into the conversation. I felt that MS knew that their market was for the younger crowd of video gamers, younger as in college students and earlier and the majority of how the Xbox is used for the younger generation is in sports or CoD. Looking at MLG participations, you don't see any PS3 consoles used CoD or Halo; none of the MLG pro teams play on the PS3 (I think from what I've noticed). If MS really wanted to sell a console, they know that the majority share of Xbox sold would be for that section of the market, it has been since the Xbox 360 came out. Launch titles of the Xbox 360 were Halo 3 and Gears of War because no one remembers what other game they've released for on launch. I know that the keynote pissed off the hardcore gamers around but that's not what MS is concerned about. When they announce the new console, they should identify with the majority of their market because that's what sells the consoles and not leave them bankrupt. If this thing is going for 400-500 bucks, the really hardcore gamers might just get a PC or seriously consider the PS4. So why shouldn't MS persuade the players that are still stuck in the middle? 

May 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #38 of 80
Quote:
Hope no one minds if I jump into the conversation. I felt that MS knew that their market was for the younger crowd of video gamers, younger as in college students and earlier and the majority of how the Xbox is used for the younger generation is in sports or CoD. Looking at MLG participations, you don't see any PS3 consoles used CoD or Halo; none of the MLG pro teams play on the PS3 (I think from what I've noticed). If MS really wanted to sell a console, they know that the majority share of Xbox sold would be for that section of the market, it has been since the Xbox 360 came out. Launch titles of the Xbox 360 were Halo 3 and Gears of War because no one remembers what other game they've released for on launch. I know that the keynote pissed off the hardcore gamers around but that's not what MS is concerned about. When they announce the new console, they should identify with the majority of their market because that's what sells the consoles and not leave them bankrupt. If this thing is going for 400-500 bucks, the really hardcore gamers might just get a PC or seriously consider the PS4. So why shouldn't MS persuade the players that are still stuck in the middle? 

I see what you're getting at, but I still believe the E3 presentation will be focused on core gaming. I think they've captured what they could of casual gamers with the reveal keynote, and from the reactions core gamers had after the keynote I hope they will use the E3 presentation to convince the world that the new Xbox is still a gaming console first. I also think (and hope) they'll clarify just how the used game restrictions will work. After the keynote they confirmed that a game would require an activation code (costing money, MSRP was hinted at) to be playable for another profile than the one the disk was first registered to. Now the rumor is that the game disk itself contains a code, that will make it playable for all profiles stored on the last console it was used in. This means that if you lend your game to a friend, your access to the game will be revoked (but nothing is deleted) once he pops it in his Xbox. When he gives it back and you stick it in your own console you regain access, and your friend loses it. If your friend wants to play more, he'll have three choices: borrow it from someone again, buy a disc of his own, or simply purchase a code. As the game is still installed on his console, a code will grant him immediate access to the game. I for one think this is a neat system, as long as the One hard drive is big enough for all my games. The hard drive will definately be user replacable, and hopefully (but doubtfully) it will be a regular 3.5" HDD rather than some custom Microsoft drive like in the 360. MS knows how to make money on peripherals though, so it'll probably be some over priced custom thing that only works with the One. If this is the case I really hope they'll be quick about releasing one that's bigger that 500GB, as I think the number of games you can install on a 500GB drive is really rather low. It might eventually be possible to store entire games in the cloud though, eliminating the need to constantly increase the HDD capacity as your game library grows.

May 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #39 of 80
I personally hate it. I much rather would have liked to see them spend most of there resources and selling points to be all about the games not into making it a all in one device to make ppl even more lazier.  They should have went the same path sony did.  I believe they will make money but I think its clear Sony would be the clear winner for this nex gen console since gamer's I believe will be more likly to shell out more cash to the company that is more about the games them self's. 

May 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #40 of 80
Actually I think they  are on a very similar path. Sony surely spent more coin on the actual gaming hardware which is perhaps what you mean though. But sony has Eye Toy. It will also be a media center, having tv functionality and all that. But they seem more keen to not upset hardcore gamers with it´s tv-stuff then MS. We will see with E3 Sony may feel they need to market theiir TV and Eye toy stuff as well where MS is free to focus on games now. 

But for me as the Sony is clearly the better console hardware wise the Xbox really need to deliver with their exclusives if I ever is going to own one. But I play the waste majority of my games on PC so both are quite expendable. Wii U still don´t interest me to much. 

May 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #41 of 80
Hardware and graphics wise I believe PC trumps they by a lot. Me personally I feel more connected when I'm playing on a console who's sole purpose is for games.  Maybe that is just me.  Xbox really will have to deliver with its exclusives.  There is a chance xbox would make a new standards in how much money they can pull in but I wouldn't bet on that.  I don't watch TV like a all (.5-2 hours per week) so maybe that is why i'm not into it having "tv" functions.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #42 of 80
Quote:
Hardware and graphics wise I believe PC trumps they by a lot. Me personally I feel more connected when I'm playing on a console who's sole purpose is for games.  Maybe that is just me.  Xbox really will have to deliver with its exclusives.  There is a chance xbox would make a new standards in how much money they can pull in but I wouldn't bet on that.  I don't watch TV like a all (.5-2 hours per week) so maybe that is why i'm not into it having "tv" functions.

I feel more connected when I play with the best controls, visuals, sounds, physics etc. Most often that is PC. If I can do other stuff I don´t see what it matters :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #43 of 80
To be fair, a gaming PC is a good deal more expensive than a console. I'll agree that it's the most powerful and versatile solution, but to me the extra power isn't worth the extra dough (and having to tweak graphics settings, or check if my computer can run it before I get a new game). Also, a console generation lasts much longer than a new gaming PC does (for me at least, and in this case I define the PCs "lasting" as the time it takes before I feel the need to replace any of the internal components).

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 80
I don't mind all the tv functionality.The questions is, will the masses adopt and use it?  I think it's pretty clever to integrate media center functionality into an all in one stop.  Gaming, check, music, check, movies, check, tv shows, check.  It's to early for me to speculate but with the given internal specs almost simliar to the PS4, gaming quality won't be that far off.  Also, with similar internal specs means easier ports.  The selling factor would be which console is able to do something the other can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back