Xbox ONE
May 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 80
This conference was meant to show off these features. Everyone is getting upet that games weren't at the forefront and Microsoft said that would be the case. All the gaming related stuff is going to be shown at E3.

May 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 80
Why even announce it like this, though? They could have just released posters or something with a picture of the console and a date for E3. Having a whole event where there are no big games doesn't do anyone any favors. If anything, it killed hype for a lot of people.

They really should have rode the coattails of Sony and had a similar event right after them.

May 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:
I couldn't figure out what you meant by the second line.
Wait until E3.
I'm not a huge fan of the name either. They're saying they called it that because it will be getting better and better after day one.

That I will most likely get a PS4. Noticable better hardware and no of the unnecessary limitations of the Xbox one. I have no use whatsoever of the Kinect stuff either so that presentation really mean nothing.
If I buy it it will be because I find a game I can´t run anything else that I feel I need to have :wink:

May 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 80
May 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 80
Yes that is correct it appears. MS want to stop the used game market without stepping on game stops and other retailers toes since they need them.

We consumers get more and more slaves lol 

May 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 80
Quote:
That "fee" from what I heard is actually the MSRP. So you'll pay full price.

Quote:
Yes that is correct it appears. MS want to stop the used game market without stepping on game stops and other retailers toes since they need them.

We consumers get more and more slaves lol 

Microsoft hasn't said what the fee will be yet. They have said not to worry, that they understand the market for used games.

May 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #24 of 80
Hm....

I don't like what I've read about the system. Mandatory log-in to play games, Kinect 2.0 required for anything, Kinect is always active (even with the system turned off), games have to be installed, HDD capped at 500GB, used game fee, games tied to one account, one time activation code for games.

I think I'll stick to PS4 and Wii U. This new Xbox seems iffy with the whole Big Brother stuff. Never was a fan of the 360 either (loved the original Xbox though). 

The presentation was a failure as well. Random Microsoft employees cheering (no press cheered at all). 

May 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 80
Microsoft hasn't said what the fee will be yet. They have said not to worry, that they understand the market for used games.

They have hinted on retail price.

May 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

I love the XBOX 360, I bought it shortly after launch and upgraded to the slim. I didn't even buy the ps3 until a couple years ago. The reason why I bought the PS3 was because Microsoft went away from video games and gamers to casuals and kinect.  I was hoping for gaming console not an entertainment hub that controls your tv/cable box.
It's pretty clear what direction Microsoft wants to take the XBOX..... They want that casual Wii market. Like I said, the XBOX One is built for casuals not gamers.

I hope they redeem themselves at E3 because right now this XBOX One made my Wii U purchase look really good and I don't even like the Wii U.

Biggest turn off for me is this,
I don't know how the used games thing is going to play out but Microsoft won't man up and give us a clear answer.

How does having additional functionality detract from being able to use it as a gaming console? I don't understand this iGeneration where less features is a good thing.

May 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #27 of 80
Quote:
How does having additional functionality detract from being able to use it as a gaming console? I don't understand this iGeneration where less features is a good thing.

Think of it this way, beats is a fashion accessory first and a headphone last. Well this new XBOX is a cable box first and a gaming console last.

Beats were made for mainstream 
XBOX One is made for casuals 

I'm fine with those new features as long as gaming is in the forefront, but from what I've seen so far, gaming is not their number one priority, and it should be since it's suppose to be a gaming console.

May 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #28 of 80
Quote:
Think of it this way, beats is a fashion accessory first and a headphone last. Well this new XBOX is a cable box first and a gaming console last.

Beats were made for mainstream 
XBOX One is made for casuals 

I'm fine with those new features as long as gaming is in the forefront, but from what I've seen so far, gaming is not their number one priority, and it should be since it's suppose to be a gaming console.

It's only seen that was because and noted above, E3 hasn't happened yet - of course there are no games. This was an unveiling for the CONSOLE not GAMES. Cross platform games will look and play the exact same on both platforms! Regardless of differences in hardware, games will look exactly the same and play exactly the same. How is it designed for casuals? Because it has more multimedia functionality? If so, why is having more capabilities a bad thing?

May 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #29 of 80
Quote:
It's only seen that was because and noted above, E3 hasn't happened yet - of course there are no games. This was an unveiling for the CONSOLE not GAMES. Cross platform games will look and play the exact same on both platforms! Regardless of differences in hardware, games will look exactly the same and play exactly the same. How is it designed for casuals? Because it has more multimedia functionality? If so, why is having more capabilities a bad thing?

I can't comment on stuff that hasn't happen yet, my opinion is based on what microsoft showed me, and all they showed me was a cable box that you control with your voice.
And no, not all games will play and look exactly the same, the PS4 is more powerful and the controller has a touch pad. I'm not saying they will be totally different but they won't be exactly alike either.

I never said more capabilities is bad, so let me say it again.

Why do I think it's going to be a casual console? Easy answer is all the casual features are in the forefront and gaming is in the background. They're marketing it as an all in one entertainment device, not a gaming console.

Here's a quick quote from people who was there at the reveal.
"This might be the first game console consumers buy not for games, but as a way to control many forms of entertainment," Avi Greengart, Research Director of Consumer Devices, told ABC News. It looks like Microsoft is aiming for a converged and integrated usable television experience

May 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #30 of 80
Quote:
Cross platform games will look and play the exact same on both platforms! Regardless of differences in hardware, games will look exactly the same and play exactly the same.

This isn't true. It wasn't true for any generation before, and it won't be true for this one. They probably wont look different enough to base your decision on which console to get based upon them, but they will be different.

Quote:
How is it designed for casuals? Because it has more multimedia functionality? If so, why is having more capabilities a bad thing?

Because these additional capabilities take the focus off of the gaming capabilities. If a company has unlimited resources, then yeah it's not a bad thing. But they don't. I'll wait until E3 to really pass judgment here but they're clearly not focused on the gaming aspects of the console at this point, and I'd rather have a devices that specializes in that, rather than it just be a feature of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back