Xbox 360?
Sep 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, Halo 3 is coming out and after years I'm finally thinking about picking up the Xbox 360.

Now I did a search on google and looked around but I only found some outdated articles. Is the new 65nm chip out or is it still the old 90nm one?

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Old one is still out, but I read the new one might be coming out for the holiday season

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old one is still out, but I read the new one might be coming out for the holiday season

I concur. Although I have read that the difference is only going to be marginal anyways, and if you want/need one now, don't wait. The 65mn could be out next year, we don't know.

-Nick
580smile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 19
I think he's wary due to the current "red ring of death" issues.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 19
It's not just about the chip, supposedly the 65 will come on a new motherboard with some heavy redesign to resolve the RROD issues for good (MS isn't real happy about repairing them either). They have the silicon in hand and have since July, so it is going to come. Even the new Halo special editions are failing, and I'm not willing to spring for a machine I may end up losing for 4-6 weeks.

All I know is I'm getting really sick of waiting, and me and my friends are going to have a serious backlog of gaming to do come new year's
rolleyes.gif

Everyone need to buy one now however, so they get through the back-stock
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I read somewhere that the new DVD-drive is a lot more quiet than the old one(s).

Only as long as the benq continues to be the cheapest part available. Despite all the complaints, MS has made it crystal clear they don't care about the noise level of the machine. No surprise as even my original xbox sounds like a jet plane if you stick in an audio cd.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard 65mm chips should have been out the end of sept...but here we are, and no new news =/

Microsoft also promised us a good OS.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 19
With the 3 year warranty, I have the current Elite model and I'm not worried really. I figure that even if it dies in 3 years and 1 day I've still gotten my money's worth. As for being without it while I ship it back to MS, not a big deal really, as I'm not a huge gamer...

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 19
The 65nm chip is only the CPU. The GPU will still be on the old process. And it's not the CPU that's overheating. Not much of a point to wait for that. Unless they revise something else.

Otherwise, get a Premium or Elite with a Lot # 725 or greater, and a manufacture date of 2007-07-1 or later. (July 1, 2007).

My 360 was starting to die, so I cashed in on my Best Buy replacement plan (on my 3rd 360, now. Sheesh). I opted to upgrade to the Elite, and got a newer one with the newer Hitachi drive. Much quieter than the 2nd gen one I had with the older Hitachi drive.

But now I'm noticing the little fan in the PSU is pretty loud. I might end up getting one off of eBay and modding it to run cooler and quieter.

-Ed

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 19
Are there documented instances of overheating when in well ventilated areas? I have mine sitting in a well ventilated area with an ambient temperature of around 72 degrees, and it never feels like it's running hot to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back