Xbox 360 ?'s
Dec 25, 2005 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
Today i got a 360 for Christmas (YEA!). And i have a couple questions about it

1. Whats the best way to hook it up to Xbox Live. My problem is that my wireless router is upstaris and my TV is downstairs. I have a computer downstaris near the TV. So i was wondering is there a way i can hook it up threw my computer. If not what other options are there for me.

2. How do i hook up my ipod to the Xbox?

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Dec 25, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
Today i got a 360 for Christmas (YEA!). And i have a couple questions about it

1. Whats the best way to hook it up to Xbox Live. My problem is that my wireless router is upstaris and my TV is downstairs. I have a computer downstaris near the TV. So i was wondering is there a way i can hook it up threw my computer. If not what other options are there for me.

Best way is a wired connection. Just run a really long Cat5 cable.
Otherwise a wireless bridge, or the official 360 Wireless Adapter is the only way. If you use wireless, stick with 802.11A for the best wireless solution, has the least potential for interference.

Quote:

2. How do i hook up my ipod to the Xbox?

As mentioned, just plug in with USB cable. To access at anytime, hit the "Guide" button. When the blade pops in, go down to the music player and select the iPod and you can go through your albums, artists, etc. You wil probably have to change the volume in the 360 guide's music player, as it will probably be too quiet.

Don't forget to post your GamerTag in the Head-fi XBox Live thread, using this handy auto-updating gamertag pic.
wink.gif

http://www.mygamercard.net/

-Ed

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 14
I don't have an xbox 360, but I heard you can just get one of those cheap usb internet stick looking things (looks like a flash drive) and plug it in to the usb port on the back of the xbox. It is basically what the official xbox 360 one does just at $25 instead of $99. Just go to staples and get one. If it doesn't work, just return it.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Otherwise a wireless bridge, or the official 360 Wireless Adapter is the only way. If you use wireless, stick with 802.11A for the best wireless solution, has the least potential for interference.

Out of curiosity -- interference with what? When I installed my 802.11g wireless network (for one computer downstairs and a couple Replaytvs scattered about) I had read that it can interfere with some cordless phones. But it hasn't been an issue for me. 802.11A is pretty slow, right? But I guess it doesn't matter for online gaming.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
I'm so tempted to buy one!

Does anyone know when mods for the xbox 360 will be available? (mod chips that would allow it to essentially be a PC)

Where would you get one at this point? Aside from ebay, that is.

I was ready to camp out for one on the 18th, but I didn't go through with it. I don't know if I should kick myself or pat myself on the back.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
I'm so tempted to buy one!

Does anyone know when mods for the xbox 360 will be available? (mod chips that would allow it to essentially be a PC)

I think they have just barley cracked the file system when the game disc is inserted and loading, but other then that i dont think they are even close to cracking the file system. my guess is ~1 year.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 14
I 'sort of' got a 360 for Christmas. I know Im getting one, but they couldnt find it so I dont actually have it, I have the money to get it, but I cant find it and its really frustrating!!!

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 14
I got a 360 at launch, but tbh there's no point getting one for a good few months, when there are more better games available. If you have a Xbox, you aren't missing out on alot, All the games available for 360 are out for original Xbox.

Personally I'm disspointed with the Live side of 360, the server options aren't very good on alot of games, hopefully that will change, and the headset is cheap crap, the quality has got worse compared to original xbox...don't understand that at all.

I reckon it'll be about a year before you can get mod chips for 360. I also think it will take about a year before we see some games that are using the 360 to its potential. I'm looking forward to DOA, and Morrowind: Oblivion.

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 14
802.11a is 54mbit, same as 802.11g. It works in the 5GHz band, where fewer other things live. From what I've read the range of 802.11a is generally shorter than 802.11b/g, though, you might want to watch that if you've got a long distance between the XBox and the access point.

Things that are likely to interfere with 802.11b/g wireless networks (which operate in the 2.4GHz band) - 2.4GHz cordless phones (this is the most common these days, but you can still get 900MHz and 5GHz phones. I got a 900MHz model - cheap, no interference with my wifi. 5GHz ones tend to be the more expensive models), microwaves (according to urban myth, really not sure about this one), but most significantly, OTHER wireless networks. As wireless networks get more popular, so they start interfering with each other more. I can detect more than ten other networks from my apartment...the advantage of 802.11a from this perspective is it's not terribly popular for home applications, so there's less chance you're surrounded by other 802.11a networks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back