XBOX 360 pains...
Dec 25, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 30
I was also unimpressed. I've played madden, nba, and need for speed. The graphics are good, but not great (on a toshiba dlp tv). What it really needs is better games. In my opinion, game play on the 360 is the same as the ps2 and the regular xbox. Maybe the upcoming games will be more innovative.

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 30
I really like the new controller. No Wheels yet, but hopefully Microsoft will do a nice force feedback one, but apparently there is a controversy as to whether a real force feedback wheel will ever be produced.
frown.gif

Yeah, the XBox 360 is THE NOISIEST of all consoles EVER!

The d@mned 12X DVD drive spins at full speeds when it plays games from a disc. That is where the majority of the noise comes from. Nevermind the noisy Delta fans it uses in the back, and the little whiney fan in the PSU too.

I may end up buliding an enclosure to muffle the sound. I lay it down to reduce the noise (It's louder standing upright), and I use Herbie's AudioLab tenderfeet to help decouple it a bit to cut down on the vibrational noise from the DVD drive.

-Ed

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Gs, couldn't you just change the internal fans to a PC 120mm fans or make some kind mod?

The fans are two 80mm Delta fans. They are apparently custom made for M$ and both fans are in a single housing.

A 120mm fan would not fit internally, but if you are willing to void the warranty, I'm sure the fans could be swapped out for quieter, ones, but it needs more airflow.

But that still does not address the noisy 12X DVD drive. That is THE noisest thing in the XBox 360.

-Ed

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The fans are two 80mm Delta fans. They are apparently custom made for M$ and both fans are in a single housing.

A 120mm fan would not fit internally, but if you are willing to void the warranty, I'm sure the fans could be swapped out for quieter, ones, but it needs more airflow.

But that still does not address the noisy 12X DVD drive. That is THE noisest thing in the XBox 360.

-Ed

what about little rubber stoppers where the screws hold the dvd in place or is this not possible?

I thought the PS2 was noisy as hell.

I am hoping the PS3 is quieter.

So Ed is the xbox360 as good as the hype machine is?

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #21 of 30
Well, if you don't have a full blown 5.1 Home theater, makes for a good argument to use great sealed headphones with the 360, eh?
wink.gif

BTW, don't forget to check out this thread and post your gamertag, Guru.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148663

Don't forget to use the handy gamertag image posting link, where it let's you post an autoupdating gamertag pic.

wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I thought the PS2 was noisy as hell.

Hooooboy! You are in for a shock with the new XBOX...

Quote:

I am hoping the PS3 is quieter

Me too...but we have a long wait ahead of us eh? PS3 should spank XBOX ass theoretically...

Quote:

s the xbox360 as good as the hype machine is?

If you havent owned an XBOX until now - yes! the new XBOX is worth buying. You get a LOT of hardware for the money IMO. This is my first XBOX...hell...I bought my first PS2 just a couple of weeks back
smily_headphones1.gif
The Slimline PS2 is da bomb!

GRW - What genre games do you play?

Edwood - my PSU is not as noisy as the unit itself. You are right about the drive noise - Why is the drive being accessed so often during the game? My PS2 is almost dead silent compared to this beast...

Those of you who play COD2 on the 'box - how the heck do you manage to scope targets with that controller? Has MS said anything about keyboard and mouse support? That will be sweet!

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Those of you who play COD2 on the 'box - how the heck do you manage to scope targets with that controller? Has MS said anything about keyboard and mouse support? That will be sweet!

I typically don't like controllers. I much prefer a keyboard and mouse. However, playing COD2 on the 360 I don't have as much of a problem as I had on the xbox. I also have found the graphics to excellent and a big improvement over the original xbox and the ps2. I haven't noticed the noise problem but I mostly play in my son's room and there is always a lot of background noise. I will check it out when it's quiet when I return home.

Guru, it's nice to see you found some time to have some fun.
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Guru, it's nice to see you found some time to have some fun.
biggrin.gif

I have until Monday...then I start studying again for my CCIE certification exam
frown.gif

I've given up on having fun because I set so many expectations and then run out of time because of work...places that i've wanted to visit...people that I wanted to meet...nothing worked out because of work stress...

You wont recognize me if you see me...i've aged visibly...feel like 40 and I just turned 25.

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I have until Monday...then I start studying again for my CCIE certification exam
frown.gif

I've given up on having fun because I set so many expectations and then run out of time because of work...places that i've wanted to visit...people that I wanted to meet...nothing worked out because of work stress...

You wont recognize me if you see me...i've aged visibly...feel like 40 and I just turned 25.

Join the club. You get used to the stress after a while. Work stuff that made me crazy when I started to practice doesn't even enter my thoughts anymore. You will get through it. My gamertag is jon snow 1, send me a friend request (I am not on much).

Dec 25, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Edwood - my PSU is not as noisy as the unit itself. You are right about the drive noise - Why is the drive being accessed so often during the game? My PS2 is almost dead silent compared to this beast...

Blame it on the 'Tard Pack. Since the hard drive is not standard, no one is utilizing it for the standard games. It is continually accessing the disc rather than say buffering it to the hard drive. Since there is much more data to be loaded, and the 360 uses a current gen optical drive, it has to spin the drive fast enough to access the data needed for the higher res textures and graphics.

Since BluRay drives in the PS3 will be spinning at a maximum of 6X by the time it is launched, the drive noise will probably be very very quiet. Now as for how noisy the fans will be in the PS3, who knows. But there will be some noisy fans for sure, the PS3 is going to generate even more heat than the 360, and the latest prototypes still don't show how the cooling system would really work.

The internal PSU they keep showing it total BS, PS3 will have a honking huge PSU brick for sure.

-Ed

Dec 25, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 30
Most, if not all, of the titles available on the 360 are essentially ports from last-gen consols - wait until we start getting games designed from scratch for the 360 and they learn to actually use that hardware before judging its graphics quality.

What I don't see is why developers aren't making games that detect and utilise a hard drive, silly people.

Dec 25, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #29 of 30
GS>Well I was considering buying a console. But have decided to move awy from it.

Though the xbox 360 and ps3 look something special. I don't know if the PS3 is convincingly better than the xbox360.

I have used a xbox the original but apart from one or two games I wasn't into it.

I am hoping to get a chance to try a xbox360 and see if I like it.

But the chances of me owning one is slim as I am building an sli rig.

I like all kind of games and on the PS2 I love smackdown vs raw, GT series racing games, fighting games and Rpg's.

But at the moment I am into nhl and command and conquer generals on the pc.

although I did get battlefield 2 for chrimbo

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 30
I'll probably have a PS3 in the living room and a Revolution in the bedroom. Revolution I have real high hopes for.

Delta fans? So that's how they're staying alive since the geeks stopped buying 70dB fans because it's "cool"...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back