XBOX 360 pains...
Dec 24, 2005 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Well...I lucked out and got the last Premium unit that Best Buy had coming to them this week...phew!

That said...initial impressions are less than "jaw dropping"
confused.gif

This is one noisy *******R !!
mad.gif
It quite easily drowns out my desktop, refridgerator and airconditioning...all put together. I'm not crazy - What is up with the noise!?!?

The controller - a little more "resistance" from the sticks would be nice...anyone try playing PGR3 without a wheel? Yikes! I'm happy my PS2, GT4 and Logitech DFP are still in a box somewhere waiting to be put into action.

Graphics - I honestly expected a lot more. COD-2 is sweet but playing this game with the controller is a bitch...I would love to use a mouse but I dont know if this is possible.

I need your help folks - I have packed away the Logitech DFP to send it to my brother but I might have to rethink that. Is it compatible with the XBOX 360? Has anyone tried it out with PGR 3?

I like PGR 3 but I like my DFP wheel better...

I would rather keep GT4, PS2 and DFP and send the XBOX away to my brother if the wheel is not compatible with the unit...

Decisions...decisions...

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 30
I agree 100%. The controller to certain games is of the utmost importance. I have paid as much for a single controller as the cost of the console. Maybe, you can buy a wheel that works with the 360. Or, you could just sell it for a profit!
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 30
Hm.. i really didnt think much about the controller. I've been playing COD2 with it for a few weeks now and I cant stop. Personal preference I guess. Oh and the 360 I've been playing on is not loud at all... especially not louder than the air conditioner/refridgerator etc.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Or, you could just sell it for a profit!
tongue.gif

After all the crap I went through to get this unit...no amount of profit can make me sell. Either I keep it or my brother gets it - it all depends on whether the DFP is compatible with it or not.

Can anyone try this out for me please? I dont want to break out all the gift-wrapping to get to the DFP
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 30
I think the Xbox360 is outrageously awesome. The graphics are on par with PC quality, especially via the VGA cable, and the controllers are the best I've used for a console. I'm thrilled with it. I just want more games!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
Hm.. i really didnt think much about the controller. I've been playing COD2 with it for a few weeks now and I cant stop. Personal preference I guess. Oh and the 360 I've been playing on is not loud at all... especially not louder than the air conditioner/refridgerator etc.

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

I'm thrilled with it. I just want more games!

Yeah, games tend to be kind of important for a gaming console.

<_<
>_>

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 30
I really like the controller. The resistance is fine if you compare it to, say, a PS2 controller, which I find almost impossible to use because of the damned joysticks that move everywhere.

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey_Its_Cole
I just hate consoles for fps games.

I agree that FPS ported from the PC to console blow ass hands down. However if skilled programers are on the ball I prefer a controller to a mouse or trackball. It is my humble opinion that the perfect dark for n64 and halo are the most nuanced shooters ever made.

Dec 24, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

This is one noisy *******R !! It quite easily drowns out my desktop, refridgerator and airconditioning...all put together. I'm not crazy - What is up with the noise!?!?

You post at HeadFi and don't have any sound insulation products hanging around?!?!
confused.gif

Quote:

Graphics - I honestly expected a lot more. COD-2 is sweet but playing this game with the controller is a bitch...I would love to use a mouse but I dont know if this is possible.

Are you using a 720p or 1080i monitor? Those are prerequisite for awesome graphics (otherwise it'll have no more resolution than XBox1). Also these are 1st generation games, and anren't using 100% of the 360's potential goodness. Just wait till games arrive that are specific-developed to use all 3 CPU cores!
eggosmile.gif

And don't forget to keep it horizontal, vertical machines scratch disks more often.
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
You post at HeadFi and don't have any sound insulation products hanging around?!?!
confused.gif

I post at Playboy and I dont have a bunch of nudes hanging around either...

Quote:

Are you using a 720p or 1080i monitor? Those are prerequisite for awesome graphics (otherwise it'll have no more resolution than XBox1). Also these are 1st generation games, and anren't using 100% of the 360's potential goodness. Just wait till games arrive that are specific-developed to use all 3 CPU cores!
eggosmile.gif

Right now hooked up to a Pioneer 43" Plasma TV at work. Everything looks fine...just not as "WOW" as I expected after reading the reviews. Definitely better than PS2 standards...undecided about whether it is better than my PC...so far - No.

All in all - a good console no doubt. Perhaps I will get used to the noise over time...This lab is also very quiet and we have several big routers and switches. The XBOX is nearly as loud as a 6500 Catalyst switch...too loud to be a part of my HT/stereo system.

Quote:

And don't forget to keep it horizontal, vertical machines scratch disks more often.
frown.gif

Thanks for the tip. We have it vertical at the moment...I'll lay it down when I get to work tomorrow.

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 30
ferrari: I suspect most of the reviewers who went nuts over the graphics are console guys comparing it to PS2 / XBox on SD TVs, not people who'd previously played high-end PC games on an HD screen. You only get the "wow" effect once.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back