X5 - New Firmware: Suggestions (other than Playlist features)
Jul 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

jvos213

New Head-Fier
It is awesome that so many people are helping with the improvement of the Playlist features of the x5, but it seems to drown out the other requested ideas/posts which end up not being discussed.

If you have ideas or suggestions for the x5 (non Playlist related) please feel free to share them here and let's see if FiiO responds :)

For a start : Will Fiio will be allowing changes/tweaking to the stock EQ's (as initially advertised)? Another great feature will be if shortcuts would allow for more options for example accessing the EQ screen straight from the 'now playing' screen instead of navigating through the main menu to get there....

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 49
What's currently on my list:

1) 5 Custom EQ Settings & being able to name them.

2) Slightly darker background behind the display of frequency and bitrate of the file being played. Lighter album covers completely hide this info when displayed.

Exotic Requests:

1) Ability to create smaller icons of album covers and have them displayed in a 40x40 pixel size, where you select the albums by visual navigation via the rotary wheel. Each "page" would have roughly 72 albums to be displayed (40 x 10 horizontal and 40 x 9 vertical). 

I'll probably update this post as I come across and remember a few things.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 49
Here are the features I think are needed:
Basically the UI is very primitive.  There is no way to play just a single track.  (the whole folder is always added to playing now)  I don't think you should have to go into a folder and select a track to start a folder playing.

General comment:  All track title listings for an album should be in track number order and only list the track title.  Currently it seems to list the file name rather than track title.  File name is only necessary
when searching from the folder menu and not when using the library views.

I think that when a folder is highlighted via the scroll wheel (or an album from the Library)
then the shortcut button should bring up a menu with at least the following options:
1) Play this album/folder now (i.e. abandon anything now playing)
2) Add this album/folder to the now playing list.
3) Add this album/folder to a Playlist

Similarly when a single track is highlighted:
shortcut should bring up:
1) Play this track now (i.e. abandon anything now playing)
2) Add this track to the now playing list.
3) Add this track to a Playlist

I like when using the by Artist library view that there is a subdir shown with all songs for that artist.  I think that all songs lists should be sorted alphabetically by track title.  That makes finding a particular song doable.  Sorting by file name is not really useful since usually that includes track number so multi-album lists
become sorted in an order that makes finding a particular song very hard.

The artist list besides having the all songs subdirectory should also then just have a list of all whole albums by the artist.  Albums with tracks from a particular artist don't really need to be listed as those tracks should be in the all songs subdir.

The genre lists should have an all songs subdirectory rather than directly going into the list of all songs in a genre for each genre and also list each album for a selected genre with the albums sorted by artist/album.

For those that think that an artist list of all songs should be in some other order than track name alphabetical then I suggest settable global sort order preferences.  However, the argument that it should be listed in album, then track in album order to allow playing all albums for an artist is addressed by having the albums also listed as I suggested and adding the add album to now playing list feature I suggested above.  Then a few keystrokes would allow queueing up any or all of the albums for a selected artist in whatever order one prefers.

Finally, when lists of albums are presented for selection within Artist/Genre/Album views in the library it would be nice if there was an option to show a thumbnail of the album cover as the glyph for each listed album.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 49
Some ideas that immediately come to mind

1. Get rid of 5800 track limit in database
2. implement some sort of adaptive scrolling in lists, i.e. after 10 entries of continuous scrolling start advancing list by a page at a time
3. Button customization.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 49
Greetings everyone.

Just bought my X5 yesterday, an amazing piece of hardware. Quite rocks with my ATH-EW9.
The DAC is particularly nice, as is the decision of going with a lightweight (uCOS?) RTOS vs. bloated firmwares commonly found in other "high-end" portables. The firmware unpacking tools provided are most welcome, too -- although I am not as much interested in UI theme, as in sys.bin itself =)

Now, as for feature suggestions...

Loudness compensation (as in compensating for different ear sensitivity to frequencies at different volumes) option would be reeeealllly interesting. I mean, after setting TI DAC attenuator, just load a pre-computed EQ setting for that level -- for 10-band EQ, storing 120 levels of EQ LUT shouldn't be a big problem... Of course, it should be adjustable to accommodate for different headphones -- but, theoretically, it shouldn't be that hard to recalculate the LUT for a given reference volume level... I know, I know, not a very user-friendly feature -- but then, it is often present on Hi-Fi devices, and I'm yet to see it implemented on any portable player (as of the latter, I may be mistaken, though -- I've never used portable external headphone amps).

Anyone else would like to have this, or am I delusional?

On the other hand, CUE parsing could use some improvement (although it's great that it is even there), but I assume it's already on the way...

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 49
Above all else - fix the playback problems with 24 bit, 96 khz (and higher) flac files.  You can't call it a high res player if it won't consistently play high res files.  I like the player, but this may become a deal breaker for me.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 49
1. Single file delete menu choice.
2. An easy to see interface with larger bright colored fonts and no background image.
3. Larger battery charge icon.
4. All you can do to improve sound quality. Your $349 player sounds MUCH too much like a $17 Clip Zip. Improve your one big selling point: QualiTy.

Thank you!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 49
1. Single file delete menu choice.
2. An easy to see interface with larger bright colored fonts and no background image.
3. Larger battery charge icon.
4. All you can do to improve sound quality. Your $349 player sounds MUCH too much like a $17 Clip Zip. Improve your one big selling point: QualiTy.

Thank you!

#4 is confusing to me, but I agree with the other points. Not sure if it's possible to change the color of the battery charge icon to something more easily seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back