X5 - New Firmware: Suggestions (other than Playlist features)
Sep 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #16 of 49
-At the moment, a long press of the shortcut button or back button while a song is playing has the same effect, you're taken back to the main menu while the music continues to play. Having two buttons with the same function seems like a waste of UI utilisation. What if there where two different popup menu's for the shortcut button? One short press for adding to favourites, adding to a playlist etc and a long press for an alternative menu, or vice versa.

-A feature that would be nice would be the ability to add a song to favourites or a playlist without having to play it. Perhaps taking the above suggestion into account, a long press of the shortcut button while browsing songs could bring up an option to add the highlighted song to favourites or a playlist. That way X5 users could add new favourites and create playlists without the need to constantly skip songs.

-Another feature that the X5 seems to be lacking is scroll wheel sensitivity adjustment in player settings. I've read allot of posts where people have commented on the scroll wheel being inaccurate and giving the user the ability to set it how he/she likes would appease allot of people.

-A light/dark theme option would be helpful. The current theme is a bit too dark for driving.

-The Welcome/See you screens aren't necessary, they make the device seem cheap to me. I'd be happier if the Fiio logo was the only on/off screen and if it needs a title, loading/shutting down feels more professional.

-Normally you can navigate up and down the UI with the two forward/back buttons below the scroll wheel but when you're in the system settings and play settings menu's, the forward/back buttons function change and the only way to navigate up and down these menu's is by using the scroll wheel.
Considering the scroll wheel is mechanical and probably the most likely part of the device to fail (apart from the battery), this is concerning. Being able to use every aspect of the device without the scroll wheel would be a positive. What if -while in system/play settings menu's- the scroll wheel is set to change the volume, the volume buttons are for changing the settings and the forward/back buttons are for navigating up/down the UI?
The same concept would need to be applied to the equaliser menu, although I'm not entirely sure how just yet.
That would mean that 100% of the UI can be navigated without the scroll wheel.
It also means that if an X5 scroll wheel breaks out of warranty, the device can still be used in its entirety. Customers with broken scroll wheels are less likely to be as upset about it, thus less likely to complain and give the device (Fiio) negative feedback.

-When the lock screen is on, the volume buttons have a second function.
up = short press turns the volume up and long press repeats the track or previous track.
down = short press turns the volume down and long press skips to the next track.
This feels counter intuitive, it confused my girlfriend too. It feels like next track should be long press up.

-Scrolling the main menu feels clunky. I assume its due to a lack of animations. Obviously most of us here would prefer a snappier UI than fancy animations but if it could be implemented without impacting on feel or (most importantly) sound, a smoother main menu would be nice.

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 49
Would you please consider a 3rd lock screen option on the next firmware build?  Take Lockscreen #1 and change the "long press skips forward/reverse" to "long press rapidly changes volume".  

That would be so much more pocket-friendly.  Thanks for considering it.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 49
I have used the X5 for just a few days but find there are still rooms for improvements on the X5 firmware:

1. when some music is being played, long press volume change the volume level, not skip to next/prev song (at least make this possible in lockscreen mode 2). holding the bottom left/right buttons will allow me to seek (fast forward) with screen light on, releasing those buttons will stop seeking and turn screen off.
2. improve delay time to come back to now playing screen: on fw 2.0, select a song and the player will play it immediately, but it takes 1-2 seconds for the now playing screen to show up (probably time to load album art picture?). Would be nice to have an option to stay on the playlist instead of coming back to "now playing"
3. Add queue feature (choose song(s) to play after this current song finishes). 
4. reverse scroll option please.
5. scrolling animation (im fine without it as long as reverse scroll is implemented)
6. combine folder, favorite together with all other modes (all songs, artists, album, genre), no need to have 3 main menu entries for them, making it hard to navigate around

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #20 of 49
-Replay Gain
-True Random (each time a different order when the same folder is played)
-A classier turn on and shut down animation (Even the GameBoy one is better -_-" )

What should be ensured for next updates :
-Gapless playback (No longer good on 2.31) 
-Perfect playback (No more discontinuity on intense or large files)

The two last point are very crucial you can't expect to be taken seriously if you can't assure that.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #24 of 49
If possible I would appreciate adding the following to (my opinion) an excellent player with perfectly good ui for its purpose:

New mods for firmware request:

1. replaygain - please really useful if randomising playback of compilation playlists.
2. a much improved EQ that allows replication of the bass boost found on the e12 (but retain the 6db difference between normal and custom flat as it is useful with the e12 and iems that are very efficient)
3. the sound of the e12 with the x5 is slightly smoother on vocals - can this be replicated (i know i am asking for something that makes the e12 redundant (for me) with iems but very useful still (e12) for harder to drive units like the hd600 (which is excellent with x5/e12).
4. cross-feed (preferably with settings to customise)

I know this is all a big ask and maybe some ideas are impossible due to hardware constraints - i have to say that the x5 is worth every penny i paid even in its current incarnation and so much better than my rockboxed ipod classic (now sold) it would be just perfect if all my ideas were implemented.

d

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #25 of 49
A few suggestions:
* Fade out/in on track pause/resume. i.e., when clicking the centre button, instead of immediately stopping playback, fade out for 0.5 seconds.
* When long-pressing the back button then coming back to the Now Playing screen, make short pressing the button take you back to the song selection screen (then back to album selection, etc.), instead of the main menu.
* A bass EQ preset.
* View lyrics from tags. In a new screen perhaps, like in the iPod Classic?
* Album sort by artist.
* Tile view for albums.
* Make turn on and shut down animations shorter.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #27 of 49
I just got the X5 for a few days and coming from Sony's own UI (their E/S/A series, not ZX1, but I guess similar), iBasso's (DX50/90) and AK's (120, and similar to 240 and the -II series), I immediately ran into a wall with the X5 (similar to what I experienced when I had the X3). 

I'm one of those who play tracks by navigating folders most of the time. With the Sony/iBasso/AK, in the Playing screen, there is always a dedicated access back to the folder tree. Even if I navigate out to the main menu to change settings or do whatever, when press some button (Now Playing or whatever shortcut) to go back to Playing screen, yes I can directly access back to the folder tree with the dedicated button ("Back" for Sony, "My Music" for iBasso, "Track list" icon for AK).

With X5, say I begin from main screen, "Browse Files" and navigate to the folder/track, I press top-right button yes it brings me back to folder tree. Now if I were to press multiple times or long-press that button from Playing screen, it goes to main screen. I can do whatever like switch between high/low gain. But thereafter I'm kinda lost it. I can toggle back to the Playing screen with the top-right button button but from there I can no longer access the folder tree. That button will just keep toggling between main and Playing screen. Instead, from the main screen I have to Browse Files and navigate all over in order for the top-right button to effect the folder tree again. For this particular mode of play (folder navigation), I thought it's rather counter-intuitive.

To me the solution is simple, but technically there may be difficulties I don't know of due to programming language constraints. I did see similar feedback raised before, but nevertheless allow me to make the following suggestion:

1. Rolling the wheel in Playing screen does give access to the track list but only in that current folder. There is no way to get out of that folder to access the folder tree. This could be solved by inserting a row above track 01 allowing clicking for "back-one-folder-level". The top-right button would have to function as back-one-folder-level thereafter. And everything can carry on from there.

2. Noticed that while in that track list display (when roll wheel at Playing screen), the top-left button is unused. That button could be assigned for back-one-folder-level function. The top-right button would have to take over the function as back-one-folder-level thereafter. And everything can carry on from there.

3. OR, in that track list display, always assign top-right button as back-one-folder-level function.

4. Or if possible at all, cut the main/play screen toggling effect. Whenever Playing screen is active, pressing top-right button always goes back one folder level. Ok I don't know how it will affect other mode of play though. Just speaking from the context of folder navigation.

My cents worth. :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #28 of 49
I just got my X5 today. I have mostly classical music in my library, and some of the albums are spread over several CD's. Although I have numbered every CD within an album, when I go to the album list the tracks are listed first of all by their track numbers, not by the CD they were on. So you get all the first tracks from each CD followed by all the second tracks, and so on, which is total nonsense. Why can't the tracks be sorted first of all by the CD number and then the track number?

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 49
Another suggestion, in light of purchasing an amp (E12A) to go with the X5:
* Controlling the line-out volume. It's just too loud for some IEMs connected to the auxiliary amp.

Edit: See this thread as to why: http://www.head-fi.org/t/737615/new-fiio-e12a-for-iems
Basically, paired with the X5, the IEM amp is not so good being at it thanks to the insane output power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back