X1060
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
Well, you are entitled to your own opinion but most people prefer the X or Sony walkman with S Master Pro technology to any iPod in a direct comparison.  Not sure what is your headphones of choice but the improvements are very noticeable.

Yeah... iPods sound very tinny in comparison with walkman with the S master. The S master allows the soundstage to extend and the sound is more powerful and big. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 45
I am a proud owner of the Sony X1060 and it is indeed a sublime sounding DAP. Another touch screen DAP that I own that has brilliant sound quality is my Samsung Galaxy S Player 4.0 with Voodoo Sound Control taking advantage of the awesome Wolfson DAC. The sound is sublime and very Hi-Fi just like my X1060.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:

Please stop this pro-Apple spamming campaign or I will start reporting your posts. So far you have not posted once without mentioning Apple products.

Apple and Cowon (and my Rockboxed Sansas) do have one thing over the Sonys, sound signature preferences aside....gapless playback! (unless you choose to load your Sony with .WAV files or you have the new Android powered Sony, which lets you download a different music app)

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 45

Quote:
Apple and Cowon (and my Rockboxed Sansas) do have one thing over the Sonys, sound signature preferences aside....gapless playback! (unless you choose to load your Sony with .WAV files or you have the new Android powered Sony, which lets you download a different music app)

Well, not everyone uses gapless playback, so I would say it's another subjective matter.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 45

Quote:
Well, not everyone uses gapless playback, so I would say it's another subjective matter.

Like you I don't mind the gapless playback.  I rather want a portable device with the best sound possible without the need of additional portable amplifications.  I'm quite impressed by the improvements on the Z over the already excellent sounding X1060.  IMO, Sony really did a great job on their new digital S-master MX amplifier module.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 45

Quote:

Please stop this pro-Apple spamming campaign or I will start reporting your posts. So far you have not posted once without mentioning Apple products.

Out of curiosity I just took a gander at his previous posts, and while a lot of them mention Apple products (since he owns iPods and a Sandisk), none of them are pro-Apple spamming and he's not even overly negative about other players (nor does he mention Apple in every one).  It's also not a surprise that Apple is discussed a lot in Portable Source Gear in general since they're some of the most readily available DAP's.  I'm pretty disappointed to see this attitude here, are you making the same threats to people that always recommend Cowon?

Also, my S639 doesn't sound any better or worse than my iPod Nano and iPod Video, nor my Clip+ on either my Grado 225i's or Brainwavz M4's.  I really enjoyed the Sony's sound, but lack of gapless playback kills it for me.

Back to the topic at hand, as has been stated, the Cowon J3, Samsung Galaxy players, and other Sony's are about the end of the line for non-Apple touchscreen based devices (there are other random ones, but meh).  For shy of $200 the Sony would be a good buy if you have to have a touchscreen interface.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 45
i dont want to involve in this war, i just want to answer what TS asked.
pls back to topic my friend, dont make TS sad.

Is there anything none-apple with a touch screen out there these days, that can compare to an Sony X-Series?

for sound quality, i think No, Sony X series is the best for me, but i have never tried New Sony Z series and Ibasso DX100.
for overall performance, maybe some android device? i love Cowon J3 UI (smooth, pretty, etc.) but we cannot install many apps like Apple and Android.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #23 of 45

Quote:
Like you I don't mind the gapless playback.  I rather want a portable device with the best sound possible without the need of additional portable amplifications.  I'm quite impressed by the improvements on the Z over the already excellent sounding X1060.  IMO, Sony really did a great job on their new digital S-master MX amplifier module.

True, sound is more important than anything else.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
i dont want to involve in this war, i just want to answer what TS asked.
pls back to topic my friend, dont make TS sad.

for sound quality, i think No, Sony X series is the best for me, but i have never tried New Sony Z series and Ibasso DX100.
for overall performance, maybe some android device? i love Cowon J3 UI (smooth, pretty, etc.) but we cannot install many apps like Apple and Android.

Not that I want to, but they guy was obviously being adamant about other's preference and wanting them to follow his. That is a very selfish thinking, may I add.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
and a gigantic size increased. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  On a serious note, you can try the Walkman Z, namely Z1060 & Z1070.  The Z sure sounds better than the X to my ears!

Would you prefer the Z over the A these days? Z1060 vs A865 for instance? (ignoring the capacity difference) Way back, I had a Sony disc player, and the warm dark sound was great. I have some nice gear now, but none compare to that. :frowning2:  I'd be using Westone 4's with it.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 45
Im still waiting for the z series to arrive in Singapore and just picked up the x series as I found a 32 gb model brand new for half price. My family and I own lots of DAP's and I listen to them through HD598's intrigued by the difference in sound. I like to use my HD598's- not the best headphone around but plenty suitable to do this job as it has a very good ability to portray sound stages and this is the aspect that interests me the most in music. I agree that the Xseries sounds 'more hifi like' as the soundstage is similar to what you would expect if you sat in a rectangular room listening to a pair of speakers and it contains warmth that you naturally get from room furnishings/resonance from furniture etc. I also have the Ipod Touch G1 (wolfson dac) , nano gen 5, and Touch 4th Gen. Out of all the ipods I like Touch Gen1. The soundstage is so wide that it spreads the instruments out to the point where it is very easy to focus on them. But sometimes I wonder if this is how the producer intended the listener to hear the sound. When I first plugged my ipods into the HD598's I kept  looking up!  Years of loud speaker use has trained me to meet the image from in front of me and at head height and it took me a long time to get over this.  The Xseries seems to represent the sound stage in a way allows me to get into and enjoy the music, the vocalist is appearing at head height and my soundstage 'box' appears correct.  The Ipod probably has the more accurate frequency response. Pick your poison!

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 45

Quote:

Would you prefer the Z over the A these days? Z1060 vs A865 for instance? (ignoring the capacity difference) Way back, I had a Sony disc player, and the warm dark sound was great. I have some nice gear now, but none compare to that. :frowning2:  I'd be using Westone 4's with it.

If you are looking for dark and warm X Series is what you need and not the new A or Z.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #28 of 45

Quote:

If you are looking for dark and warm X Series is what you need and not the new A or Z.

And it's off to Amazon I go. Uuuggghhh! Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #29 of 45
Ok - can't find the X1060 on Amazon. Is it discontinued and/or replaced by the A series?

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
Ok - can't find the X1060 on Amazon. Is it discontinued and/or replaced by the A series?

Discontinued. A series has a bit different sound sig. Check out the FS forum and you may find one in very good condition. I sold mine and even though I used it for 3 years it is still like new as I had always had an invisible skin on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back